Author Topic: feeding raw?  (Read 9293 times)

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
feeding raw?
« on: September 03, 2007, 06:32:23 pm »
I'm going to start feeding my dogs a raw diet along with their kibble. I was wondering how to introduce it into their feeding schedual now. I don't want then to get sick with really soft poop! (know what I mean?)

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
Re: feeding raw?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 09:24:51 pm »

Just to support EastJenn further....I do not recommend feeding raw and kibble in the same meal.  If you want to introduce raw foods slowly and still feed kibble, then I advise feeding it in separate meals.  Feed a small amount of raw in the morning, where you have all day to see how they process and stool is affected - feed kibble at night.

Long term, the goal should be to ideally feed one or the other however.  You are not providing great benefit by feeding both long term - just taxing the digestive system more with all of the different forms etc. to break down and process.  For optimal digestive efficiency, you want to get dogs eating 100% raw or homemade cooked - otherwise, I would just stick with kibble.
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 02:51:14 am »
I know quite a few people who feed both kibble and raw and dogs are doing great! My dog decides what she wants (I know, spoiled rotten  ::)). If I see she has not touched her kibble then I feed her raw. Usually every two or so days...It works, Lily is thriving and I am pleased with results  ;)

Ones she refuses to eat raw for a while I can tell that breath is not quite fresh, her teeth get built up and her muzzle turns yellow (I hate that one). 
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 04:18:04 am »
I was never one that believed that dogs have incredibly sensitive stomachs particularly if they are raised with a variety of foods in their diet. The only thing I have found to upset their stomachs (or rather the other end) is high fat meals.  I feed raw and kibble combined- about 50-50  They get their raw in the morning and free fed kibble. 

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 04:51:48 pm »
Thanks for the advice. I did start them on the raw diet and their poop is still firm. Actually they don't poop as much either. That part I like. Now I have another question. I've heard to also feed chicken wings, thighs, necks, anything softboned before it's cooked. Is it really safe to feed this to them?

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 05:28:56 pm »
Thanks for the advice. I did start them on the raw diet and their poop is still firm. Actually they don't poop as much either. That part I like. Now I have another question. I've heard to also feed chicken wings, thighs, necks, anything softboned before it's cooked. Is it really safe to feed this to them?
It is safe, just make sure to start slowly and under your supervision. Most of the Pyrs don't rush when they eat so yours will probably be OK.
The best is to start with chicken and turkey necks, and turkey tails (if you can find it, in our area only Mars sells them). Pork tails are great BUT no more then 2 at a time (pretty fatty). Pork necks have a lots of bone so you should add meaty part after (like beef heart or any meat) otherwise their poop will be like a rock
Keep us posted on the results and good luck  ;)
Mary W. Crane

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 07:16:17 pm »
One more thing I think......qua ntity? I'm guessing at this point on how much to be feeding them. I don't want to underfeed nor overfeed. How do I figure out how much raw to feed. The girls were eating 4 cups a day of kibble and Tripper was eating anywhere from 4-6 cups a day of kibble. Of course there is always cookies for them inbetween meals. (spoiled)

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 08:00:43 pm »
I feed 2-2.5%. It depends how hungry she is. Lily is 80lb so I feed her 1.5-2.0 lb. Dogs that are being fed raw usually don't over eat so you fon't have to worry about the exact amount.
Mary W. Crane

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 08:32:25 pm »
Thank you all. I just don't wnat a fat boy going into the ring in 2 weeks. Merri on the other hand could use a little weight I find. She too will be in the ring in 2 weeks.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 08:43:35 pm »
Thank you all. I just don't wnat a fat boy going into the ring in 2 weeks. Merri on the other hand could use a little weight I find. She too will be in the ring in 2 weeks.
Good luck with shows!!!
Tripper is starting his show career early!?
Mary W. Crane

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2007, 04:28:02 pm »
Good luck with shows!!!
Tripper is starting his show career early!?

It seems early for you but he'll be 6 months on the 16th already. He's entered in the 6-9mos class. Anyway this show is more for fun and socializing. I think he's just perfect but you never know what the judges are going to think. Thanks for the good luck. I will definatly post when we're done and let you know how they did. 

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2007, 04:35:19 pm »
I'm starting my 2 girls right at 6 months too  Although not competitive at that age I do it so the puppies can learn to have fun at a big ole scary show- makes a big difference in their attitude when they are a bit older and are competitive

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2007, 05:27:17 pm »
I'm starting my 2 girls right at 6 months too  Although not competitive at that age I do it so the puppies can learn to have fun at a big ole scary show- makes a big difference in their attitude when they are a bit older and are competitive

I feel the same way. Where do  you and where do you show?

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2007, 05:50:23 pm »
Whenever I see a post regarding feeding raw, and there is no mention of the importance of balancing the calcium and phosphorus, I have to jump in and mention what happened to our Newfie who was fed raw by his breeder till he was 12 weeks old. 

Our dog arrived with rickets so severe that his leg bones were twisted.  One surgery to stabilize one of the four messed up joints  (knees and hips)cost four thousand dollars.

It's not rocket science, but it is science and math.  I hope everyone does the research first.

The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2007, 06:04:22 pm »
I have been thinking of starting Naja on a raw diet, but know nothing about the diet and nutrition aspect of it.  I know that protien should be below 25%, and calories should be kept on the low side.  Where would I find a good recipe?  And how do you balance calcium and phosphorus? 
My Sponsership page for my very first race!