Author Topic: Overshot - Improper Bite Pics & Questions  (Read 6563 times)

Offline Leaf

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • That's My Bunny
Overshot - Improper Bite Pics & Questions
« on: September 16, 2007, 12:12:31 am »
Still no name for my gas station puppy. Anyhow, I've been reading quite a bit about mouth troubles with dogs, and from what I can tell he'll need regular check ups and if surgery is needed, it probably wont be done until he's over 10 months old.

He is not very cooperative when it comes to taking pictures of his mouth, but here is an idea of how his mouth is... His lower jaw actually ends behind his front teeth.

Poor guy.

I already showed this one, but here is a view of him resting:

Puppy teeth picture, when his mouth is open you can see the bottom but not the top teeth:

He thought I was suffocating him here, pinching his nose - you can kind of see how his bottom jaw is positioned behind his front teeth:

I think he is cute in these pictures, but they give an overall look at the shape of his head/face:

Has anyone had any experience with this?

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Overshot - Improper Bite Pics & Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 12:43:36 am »
No, I don't have any experience with bite problems but I'd heard of them before.  I hope that the little guy doesn't require surgery.  He is so blessed to have found you!  I can't wait to hear what you decide to name him. 

Thanks for all of the pics, I'm sooooo in love here!  He is absolutely beautiful with his sweet little baby pyr smile.  The mouth pics almost made me think that I could smell puppy breath.  Please give him lots of hugs & kisses from me and my pyr puppy lovin' family.   :-*  :-*  :-*
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 01:30:12 am »
i have nothing on this one, but what was the gas station you found him at? maybe that would be a good name for him?
Shes not a dog... shes a Great Dane!

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 01:35:55 am »
I know nothing about the surgery but it does seem that his bite is improper. Does he have problems eating?
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

marypyrs

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 02:13:00 am »
i have nothing on this one, but what was the gas station you found him at? maybe that would be a good name for him?
"BY CHOICE" aka Choice, because he IS by your choice. :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007, 06:32:01 am »
peanut has a mouth problem, except his bottom teeth are in front of his top teeth by about 1/4" (he's a chihuahua).  the vet said to leave his be, as he can eat etc comfortably, BUT i can say he has a hard time with meats, dog food etc.  we have to make sure it's small enough he can eat, but big enough he can comfortably grab.  i've noticed also he has a little trouble with chewies, etc and has to chew with the sides of his mouth instead of the front and he can't "pull" at things easily.  he's still fat and happy though, so don't give up it can be dealt with  :)  your pupper is so cute!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 06:32:40 am by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 03:40:06 pm »
If the pup can eat, I say leave it alone for now since overshot bites can change alot as she grows.  At around 10 months old when the lower jaw is done growing see where she stands (able to eat or not).
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 06:14:10 pm by VdogLover »

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 05:59:03 pm »
im not familiar with bites with other breeds. As with the Bull terriers as they grow, and their heads change, their bites are constantly changing as well... Jigsaw went over bite, under bite, and now, perfect correct placement. Zero had gone through the same thing, except when his went to an under bite it misplaced his canine teeth, and so his canines are out of whack... unfortunately i dont think that pyrs have the same head changing while growing...
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~