Author Topic: Alaskan Malamute: Whining, howling, carrying on  (Read 6968 times)

Offline marypr2

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Alaskan Malamute: Whining, howling, carrying on
« on: August 29, 2007, 06:07:17 pm »
Hello-
I have been away for a while, and have returned seeking advice.

Our Alaskan Malamute has caused us all to lose sleep for his howling, but this past night and today have really been hard.  He howled and whined basically all night long even after I let him out to potty and get water. Today hasn't been any better, though he is now outside.  He managed to get himself covered in mud while he was howling and whining which makes him pretty unapproachable right now.

I don't know if it is the phases of the moon or what affecting him.  My husband says we probably need to get him neutered and he would stop doing all of this howling.  Do you all think that is true?  From what I read briefly on line this morning, it doesn't sound like the howling would be any less after neutering, unless the howling is related to his sex drive.

This is driving me really crazy, and my neighbors are starting to comment about all the noise he is making.

Oh, just in case you are wondering, we try very hard to get him out to run/walk every day.  We had him out for a vigorous walk last night.  It didn't seem to stem the whining and howling when we got home.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mary

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Alaskan Malamute: Whining, howling, carrying on
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 06:16:11 pm »
if there's a female in heat around it very well could be that he's calling her.  personally, i'd get him neutered.  on the other hand, where do you live?  could he be hearing any other dogs (or wild dogs) howling?
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]