Author Topic: Butt's Nails  (Read 7743 times)

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Butt's Nails
« on: January 29, 2007, 04:49:41 pm »
Butt HATES to have his nails done.Hates like: today my Ex was here,so I figured I'd try to do them with help.Well he ain't no little weakling and he couldn't get Butt to hold still.He finally would hold Butt's leg with both hands while I tried to cut them,in return Butt would hold John's arm in his mouth.He never bit him,just held on.I only got 2 nails done :( So here's my questions:They get long in between cuttings,and when they start to grow out the backs hollow out and they get all flaky is this normal?? Second any ideas on how to get him to let me cut them?? Thanks again.
Michelle, Butt, Tub and Everybirdie

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: Butt's Nails
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 05:33:27 pm »
I know how you feel. Ever since the old vet cut Zoey's quick she is petrified to have her nails cut and it ends up being a huge ordeal with one (or two  ::) ) people wrestling her and one cutting her nails. We tried sedating her and it didn't help.

I would suggest trying the dremmel - some dogs dont mind it even if they hate clippers. Also, there is a product called bachs rescue remedy (you can get it at any natural food store and many pet stores) that it supposed to be calming.
RIP former BPO

Offline ptkennel

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Prairie Trail Kennel
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 08:09:00 am »
I used the rescue remedy on a dog for grooming purposes and it worked to a degree, the dog hated the grooming but it did relax him a bit, he still had to have a muzzle on so he wouldn't bite me.  I think that if I would of used more then it might of worked, I had the spray and I should of used the drops.  I only sprayed twice and the dog is a small breed.  So for a large breed I would have to say you might have to use lots more.
My rotti hates to have his nails cut as well and I haven't used the remedy on him yet.
Thats my next tackle I guess, he hates it so bad that at the vets they sat on him and held him down but still no cooperation.
Joy, Newfoundland
Gabi, Newfoundland
Amy, Irish Wolfhound
Sara, Irish Wolfhound
Gintaro, Irish Wolfhound (from Poland)
Desa, our Borzoi
4 Irish Wolfhound puppies, Saturn, Gemini, Delta and Mercury
www.prairietra ilkennel.com

Offline fullsizetrucks

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 09:17:35 am »
Yuk is the same way!  Even with a muzzle there is no cutting his nails.  Ironicly, he will let me paint them whenever I want, but you bring a cutting device near them and he is a nasty, nasty dog.  The goomers won't go near his feet, and the vet says that the only way is to completely sedate him, but I think that is a bit much just for a nail trim!  Luckly, he will trim his own (biting them) so that I don't really have to worry about it.
Big dogs make a house a home.
Be nice, you are God to your Dog.

Heidi
Harassed mother of one 2 legged kid, and three 4 legged spoiled brats!

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 10:25:06 am »
Bella is the same, despite how much we played with her paws as a baby. She has no issues with anyone touching or holdign her paws, but man if you bring out the clippers... she's gone!  It usually takes me about 10 minutes of holding her down through  TONS of fighting and squirming and then she just gives up.  At that point I can tyically get her front feet before I know she's had enough. So, her back feet are pretty bad at this point. I can't say I've ever found a good way to clip nails on any of my dogs.  Maybe rescue remedy is a good idea, although can you imagine how much you'd have to use on a Saint?  Yikes!
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Anakalia

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 10:57:29 am »
Koby used to be horrible with the clippers.  We got him when he was 7 months old and I honestly don't know if he'd ever had his nails clipped!  He would freak out if we tried to touch his paws.  We tried having the vet and a couple groomers clip his nails and once was enough for them! lol  He'd scream like we were killing him.  Finally Tony had enough and decided he was going to be the one to work on it.  So after many months of touching the paws and nails  while Koby was relaxing and taking our time with the nail clipping sessions he started to realize that it wasn't that bad and now we finally have a dog that tolerates getting his nails cut, oh and the yummy treat after the nails have been clipped also helps.  ;D

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 02:41:11 pm »
the vet says that the only way is to completely sedate him, but I think that is a bit much just for a nail trim!

That's what our vet said too - we tried sedating her with pills - she had two sedatives and two valiums and then they said she still wasn't sedated enough when they tried to cut her nails  :o So they think we would need to put her under to cut them, but I am not willing to take the risks of anesthesia and pay $300 for it just for a nails trim! The people at the pet store are way braver though because they will help us do her paws since she doesn't get aggressive at all just tries to wiggle her way out of it
RIP former BPO

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 05:43:45 pm »
Thanks everyone you made me feel better knowing I'm not the only one with a bull headed dog :D We did finally get his nails done last night.My BF helf his foot with one hand and kept giving him treats while Mama cut the his nails.It was still a chore,but it is done,until next time  :-\
Michelle, Butt, Tub and Everybirdie

Offline Edwpang

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 08:41:17 pm »
I started to clip Butter's nail since the day we got him from rescuer @ 12 weeks old. His nail was so sharp then. He is not so happy about being clipped but tolerant it if I insists. IWhen I clip him, I just give him a chew toy to keep him from chewing the clipper. If his patience runs out after clipping 2 paws, which he usually do, I'll do remaining paws at another time.