Author Topic: Butter's shedding like crasy(9 month goldendoodle)  (Read 7300 times)

Offline Edwpang

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Butter's shedding like crasy(9 month goldendoodle)
« on: September 30, 2007, 01:41:33 pm »
As you can see, his coat looks more like a retriever. When he is shaking himself or I am brushing him, I can see his hair falling off like snow. He has been go through similar situation( but less), when he was 3-4 month old, and then later on he was not shedding at all for 2 months, and started to shed more and more for recent 2 month period.
Is this normal? Is he going to shed less in the future?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 01:41:58 pm by Edwpang »

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Butter's shedding like crasy(9 month goldendoodle)
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 06:50:54 pm »
i know axle shed a lot when he lost his puppy coat, and then he also sheds to get his summer coat and then again to get his winter coat.  when he blew his puppy coat OMG, you could have made 4 dogs out of all the hair i swept up.  you could try bringing him to the groomer and asking them to "blow him out" and see if that helps.  some groomers have a giant vacuum that blows OUT and gets all the loose hair that's falling out off of them.  it's really nice in the bad shedding times lol

anywho, i'm sure it's normal shedding, and you're just noticing it.  BUT, if it gets outrageously horrible with bald spots or overly thinning hair, with him having weight concerns on top of it i would ask my vet.  it can't do any harm to ask. esp. if it's super bad or worries you, as it could be related if in fact it is a medical problem.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 06:54:09 pm by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline Edwpang

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 11:45:09 pm »
Schelmischekit ty, thank you so much for your information. I think is Butter is normal from description. He just belongs to those Goldendoodles that shed. I love him nevertheless.

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 01:53:08 pm »
Most good "breeders" of the -oodle crosses will tell you that they are not guaranteed to be hyperallergeni c or non-shedders. Which coat type they are going to have (poodle vs lab/golden) will not be evident until they mature. Butter's physical appearance is closer to the retriever than the poodle so it stands to reason that his coat is more retriever ;) If allergies aren't the reason you picked him than all is well, you have a cute shedding dog ;D

Offline Edwpang

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 02:29:32 pm »
Most good "breeders" of the -oodle crosses will tell you that they are not guaranteed to be hyperallergeni c or non-shedders. Which coat type they are going to have (poodle vs lab/golden) will not be evident until they mature. Butter's physical appearance is closer to the retriever than the poodle so it stands to reason that his coat is more retriever ;) If allergies aren't the reason you picked him than all is well, you have a cute shedding dog ;D

Yeah, you are right. I have done some research on doodles. Their coat type are fully decided after at least 1 year's old. I didn't pick him from breeder, he was a rescue. Actually, I prefer retriever type coat: it looks clean, and you don't need to have him professional groomed. I only hope he will shed less when he matures.  :)