Author Topic: You've been chewing my shoes again!  (Read 8015 times)

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
Re: You've been chewing my shoes again!
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2005, 12:34:29 pm »
The only dog I have had that was real bad with shoes was a min. schnauzer. She chewed many shoes before we all realized that there was no way we could forget the doors to where the shoes were. Mind you she then turned her attention to books. She actually did turn out rather good, but she was one demanding puppy and it took everything we had to train her.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2005, 12:37:08 pm »
Anky everytime I hear the name Hobo I laugh! What a fabulous dog name!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2005, 12:38:04 pm »
Missy had snauzer in her...mostly terrier though.  That was a curious combination personality wise...but she was great when she slowed down in her old age.   

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2005, 12:39:14 pm »
Hobo was a shoe eater.  The other two just have an underwear fetish.  They'll snag it any chance they get.  Sanity got mad at me for coming home late the other night and while I was sleeping opened up the closet door and devored my $80 favoritest bra.  I couldn't even look at him in the morning, I was so angry.

Awwww, poor puppy. She had such a great time chewing and smelling your favorite bra. She has no idea it was anything to you, it was just a good frustration reliever that smells like you to her. And let me tell you, she had a GREAT time chewing it up.

You can never take this pleasure away from her. Each time she repeats this behavior, she is more likely to seek out an article of your clothing AGAIN to chew. It is like a big wheel turning. If you don't stop it, it will keep grinding on, faster and faster usually. :D

You know that she already has this tendency, so it's very important for you to keep these things out of her reach whatever it takes.

I was just counseling a client about a similar issue yesterday, and I reminded her just how expensive and heart wrenching gut surgery is. Blockages can kill before you even know they are there as well.

I go for the safe route.

Keep things put away, and use crates or otherwise confine your dog to a safe area when you can't supervise. :D

I may be right in the same boat with you soon, my pup is 11 mos old and I want to start letting her sleep outside the crate. I've been thinking of that for a couple of months.

So of course a few days ago I walk into the living room to find an ink pen on her bed, all chewed up, and ink everywhere.

Not even the trainer's pups are perfect.

;)
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2005, 12:42:43 pm »
ewwww!  ink is nasty.   
Grace gets into a lot of messy things.  Needless to say I have to empty the garbage can in the bathroom all the time.  I won't tell you what's in there on some days...but it would be messy.  What is it with dogs and really disgusting stuff? 

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2005, 12:46:59 pm »
The reason I'm saying he did it because he was mad is when I'm tired I usually throw my clothes in a pile on the floor and leave them there till morning and he's NEVER chewed anything.  That night I put all my dirty clothes in a laundry basket, and put that basket in my closet behind the sliding door, and closed the door.  For him to never go after my unmentionables, and then to go out of his way to get them makes me think it was pre meditated :P

I know all about self rewarding vices.  My Hobo is a notorious counter surfer, and we've worked our butts off to correct that.  I'm also very aware of blockages which is why for the most part everything is put away.  Well now everything IS put away, after the Victoria's Secret incident. 

BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2005, 12:47:00 pm »
The very first dog I had was a west highland white terrier, I was like 6 or so, so my parents were the ones caring for it. She was the nastiest dog, she loved everything gross. We had a summer house out on an island, and one day there was a big boat docking and well I guess they decided to be gross and criminal and dump their porta potty, yeah.... you can guess the rest. Nilla, the dog decided that ohhhhh I have found the bestest place to roll around in. yuck yuck. I am gagging just typing it.

My mother was not happy and my father did some serious talking to the boat people, I am soooo glad I was way too young to having to bathe that dog lol

Marit

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2005, 12:59:11 pm »
oh ... oh ... oh...that's oh ... oh ... nasty.

Missy rolled on a dead fish at the beach once.  We almost made her ride home in the trunk.

Icerotti

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2005, 01:10:10 pm »
My first rotti stuck her head and apparently ate Lard in a 5 gallon pail. She look liked she has Brillo cream on her head. We had a business on a beach and behind us was a restruant.
Yes, this was used lard to cook fries , fish etc.
Yes, she stunk.
Yes, it is hard to wash lard of fur.
Yes, she did puke for 2 days.
Yes, she never touch it again.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2005, 01:13:37 pm »
Apparently curiousity does something for not only cats.  :)
oh that would be bad.

Offline Lorena

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2005, 02:02:56 pm »
Hi There!
I've been working a lot so nd I couldn't reply before!
Thanks for all the advice!
I know the problem has to corrected. I think I tried to fix it in the wrong way, because every time I cought her doing that I corrected her and she knows it is wrong, but I didn't use a toy in order to make her stop chewing the shoe and instead use a toy. I'll do that from now on.
The problem started at my previous place where she managed to grab the shoes where they were stored. Now it's because my husband leaves the closet's doors opened. They are slidding doors so If I'm the first one leaving in the morning and he leaves both open a little bit from each side...that's it!
So I told him we are also responsible for what happened ! and we also have to avoid the cause!
We cannot lock the bedroom because when we leave to work she's allowed to stay on the living room and she sleeps on the bed until my husband comes home at lunch time and he's the one that finds out what's left from a shoe or the soles. I have to tell him that every time he says "don't bite shoe" then he grabs a toy and make play with that..
By the way, a coworker told me once to leave a shirt that I used before and give it to her so she can sleep with it in the morning and then she smelll it...because she might do that because shoes have our smell ..is it true? ..will it help?  :-\
I need some advice on that...My husband thinks she's missing me all the time...He works less hours than me but sometimes I work 10 or 12 hours a day... :( so I think if she grabs something that has my smell on it she feels better...for sure I know that's the reason because it happened on those days while I'm out since early in the morning and I'm not back until late...
Any other advice ir more than welcome! I think I'll try to find that spray and see if it works...
~Lorena~

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2005, 08:18:05 pm »
Yes the "right" thing would be to correct it, but hey..... just look at that face and you know that you are "suckered" as soon as she gives you the puppyeyes lol......

Good Luck, I love shoes and ohhhh how it hurts when the dogs love them as much (just in a different way hehe)

Marit