Author Topic: Yukky ears - Poor Teddy! What can I do?  (Read 7142 times)

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Yukky ears - Poor Teddy! What can I do?
« on: October 08, 2007, 10:58:47 am »
He had an infection awhile ago and we went to the vet and it cleaned up but seems he has it again - this time quite bad.  I clean his ears with a papertowel and get the brown liquid out as much as I can (also been treating with some leftover meds from last time but its not helping).  I'm going to make anther vet appt today.

Is there a REALLY good way to clean out his ears?  Anything I can do to help relieve the pain for him?
Any home medications for prevention? Treatment?

I just want make it better for my big guy.  Any and all suggestions are welcome!!

Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Yukky ears - Poor Teddy! What can I do?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 11:01:44 am »
I use vinegar+water mixture to clean Lily's ears. It works pretty good  :)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Lyn

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 11:16:15 am »
Ditto on the vinegar. I use apple cider vinegar and water. Mixed 50/50.

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 01:27:54 pm »
Turns out he has a bacterial infection (very cool how they put his ear scraping up on a TV for me to see!!).  Lots of pills, some drops, and a huge (but very worth it) amount of money, and we should be back to normal in 2 weeks!
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 06:46:30 am »
We sometimes use alcohol on a cotton bud, cotton ball, or Kleenex for cleaning Rosie's ears. She loves those ear cleanings.
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline mountaindogmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Jack & Greta's Pics
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 06:41:54 pm »
Here are some GREAT drops that you can use for preventative treatment and cleaning.  My sister-in-laws Dane used to get recurrent year infections all the time and then she started using these drops and giving her Nzymes and now she doesn't get them anymore.  Here are the links.

http://firstchoicenaturals.com/Index/showroom.php/All_Supplements-Pet_Supplements-EarsSkinCoat/pid-16?gid=7

www.nzymes.com
Greta - Greater Swiss Mountain Dog (DOB 5-20-06)
Jack - Great Pyrenees (DOB 12-26-06)
& Three Kitties - Zoie, Bella & Nessie!

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 07:53:32 pm »
Grace has this problem a lot too.  use a kleenex or cotton ball instead.  a paper towell is a little rough and that may make such a small tear or scratch in his ear that it will make him feel worse.
the brown goo is either yeast or bateria.  if he's bothered by it a lot it's probably an aggressive bacterial infection.  the vet will have a creamy medication.  if the one you have now is too harsh or isn't working, ask the vet for a change in the meds.  it's a tough thing to get through, but a couple of weeks of constant treatment makes it all better. 
don't try to use peroxide or any vinager home remedies...tha t can irritate the ear channal and make it worse.  the dogs ear channal is like an L shape and anything you pour in there to help treat it at home will not end up reaching its intended target anyway.  your best bet is to go back to the vet. 
sorry.  but our floppy eared friends have a higher risk of ear infections especially since a little bit of water in there that can't get out wreaks havoc on there ears.
hope the baby feels better soon.

Offline +four+leaf+clover+

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 08:16:42 pm »
Don't use anything water-based (like vinegar and water) because this will leave his ears wet inside, and with the dog's own body heat a lovely humid environment will be created just ripe for the growth of bacteria.

Either use methylated spirits on a cottonwool ball, or some prescribed cleaner from your vet.

Sounds like you need to get him to the vet for some antibiotics ASAP.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 08:18:38 pm by +four+leaf+clover+ »

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 04:43:26 am »
Zita gets a lot of sand in her ears which gets cleaned out with a microfiber washcloth and two drops extremely diluted dog shampoo, then wiped again with a clean, damp (with water) microfiber washcloth.  Here in the land of single-digit humidity, wet ears are not an issue.

Those microfiber washcloths were sold as computer screen cleaners, but they were so soft I took them for the doggies.

Hope your doggy feels lots better now.  :)
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua