Author Topic: New foster-Chihuahua mix probably  (Read 4562 times)

Offline AnnaCrew

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
    • Come and pat Grace
New foster-Chihuahua mix probably
« on: October 08, 2007, 11:54:27 am »
I have new foster at home - Gino. He is probably Chi/pekineese mix, about 10 weeks and very very cute baby (they all are as babies) He was found at the rural bss stop with nobody around, but he seems to be well socialized, civilized and he was definitely well cared - he had no worms at all. He likes brush and allowed to trim his nails without any fuss like it must to be. So from one side he is very cute and easy foster.

(sorry for poor quality, my camera is in city, this I made with webcam :()

And now is my problem - DH wants to keep this lil monster! Me noooooot! I do not like jappy lil dogs, and I even asked if DH will be ready to walk the dog in pink pijama with fancy pink lead and some Swarowsky cristals... and DH said WHY NOT? Can you imagine? He thinks that it will be great fun - me walking all 3 GSD  and him - this tiny parody of  a dog.

You with large dogs and small dogs at home - tell me please is it working? I mean at household? For example, at night I'm keeping him in crate (just to be sure that he is safe) and he already accepted that in first 2 minutes. I have him since last night and today all his naps he spent in cage by himself - voluntary :) Taking his toys with him.
My dogs are extatic about new pup at home and even if they are cofused about somebody, much smaller than cat, that they must treat as a dog, they do well - play with him in very very gently. But the size difference is scary - foster is about a size of my dog's muzzle if that.
Is it safe to have such different isze dogs at home? And beginning of Feb the Saint pup will arrive too. I'm already joking that this lil monster has nearly perfect saint markings, maybe only tail needs a bit more brown - it is 2/3 white, but for saunt 1/3 is better :D
It would be really crazy fun to keep them together - saint and this lil miniature version of saint

But I worry about safety and what happens if they will start to argue? An accident? Good job there is no food agression in my home - lil one is already sharing food with big dogs, nose to nose.
http://ozolkalni.blogspot.com/
Come and pat Grace athttp://en.uniteddogs.com/dog/16498

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
Re: New foster-Chihuahua mix probably
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 05:33:25 pm »
I'll play devil's advocate and say - find DH some pix on line of adult chi mixes, and see if he still thinks they are cute and if he's still willing to walk it and all that. The ARE all cute when they are little, but if you are used to GSD's, then a full grown chi mix may be a tad bit of a let down for him once the puppiness fades away. Unless he has already had experience with little dogs. Maybe he grew up with one and has always wanted another. I guess that would be a different story...How helpful am I?? ::)
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline AnnaCrew

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
    • Come and pat Grace
Re: New foster-Chihuahua mix probably
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 12:36:15 am »
DH had small breeds like spaniels and things like that as a child and for me it seems that he likes small, energetic dogs - this ones is jumping high, running like loony and 80 pct is high ;)
It is not like he fell for pupy cutiness - but he has no idea about how this one will look and act as an adult.
My MIL will be really happy to have a dog here that she can walk (she is nearly 80 yo, very tiny lady and we do not let her walk any of GSD, just for her safety, in case) but again - to keep the dog to eep MIL happy who is visiting us 2-3 times per year?

So far he is not a barker (I hate small yappy voices) and it is a big plus. His crate training is going just perfect but again - who would like to keep dog that must be kept in crate at night just for its own safety? (He is so small so it is so easy to step on him walking around at night in dark).

So I'm sitting and thinking, thinking thinking... And spaming here, sorry.
Idea about DH walking hi around as a punishment actually does not work as we live in farm and walking dogs is an action when we are taking them to the city for socialization and knowwing my DH, he would not mind such performance at all. So that idea would not work. Divorce would not work too as I want my St.Bernard pup - to be equal and nice, I must agee with this one, so all I'm trying to work out - would it work
http://ozolkalni.blogspot.com/
Come and pat Grace athttp://en.uniteddogs.com/dog/16498