Author Topic: Questions about Canidae Dry Dog Food  (Read 4803 times)

Offline Edwpang

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Questions about Canidae Dry Dog Food
« on: October 16, 2007, 02:58:42 pm »
I have been feeding Canidae All Life Stages over 4 months switching from Iams Large puppy. This is almost no noticeable difference between the 2 foods: fur, stool size, how much to feed,... Also considering the price difference between Canidae ALS and Innova Adult below, with similar ingredients, how can Canidae make it almost as cheap as Iams? Is it possible that Canidae uses ingredients from questionable sources? 

From www.nextag.com:
Innova Adult (33lb): $42.99
Canidae All Life Stages(40lb): $36.99

Offline Edwpang

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about Canidae Dry Dog Food
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 06:07:40 pm »
There is no question that Canidae is far superior to Iams.  The reason that the prices are similar is not that Canidae uses inferior ingredients, it's that Iams drastically overcharges in order to pay for all that expensive advertising.  Canidae is a very good food.

I would very much like to believe Canaidae is far superior food. The fact is have to feed the same amount as Iams to make Butter gain weight properly, the stool size is the same and  and fur is the same: smooth to touch but not so shiny as seen in most pups here. Another thing is with similar ingredients, Innova is noticeable more expensive than Canidae, does this mean something?

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 08:35:08 am »
How old is Butter? If you aren't satisfied with Canidae there are many other options out there. We've recently switched to Orijen for my finicky eater and are loving it. His coat is shiny, his stools are great and he actually eats it. It comes in different "flavors" and he is fed less than when we were feeding Innova (a great food but he wouldn't eat it). As for his coat not being shiny...is it possible that it's the result of the Poodle hair? Not very familiar with that breed, or if he's still young his hair may still be changing.

Offline Edwpang

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 09:07:09 am »
He is 9 1/2 months old. Maybe I have overreacted. Butter is quite healthy. He has runny poo once in a while, but that can be traced to  something else. He poos 3-4 times a day. The poo is grainy, and sometimes soft. My wife has reported he ate his own stool, but I has never seen him do it. He is now on the lean side with ~3 3/4 cups/day. I bought the current bag of Canidae ALS 40 lbs bag a week ago. I am not sure if I should switch to High protein food like Orijen, Innova which has similar ingredient but more expensive than Canidae, or just continue with Caniade.

Offline Edwpang

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 10:04:03 am »
I've never fed Canidae, so I'm not sure how the amount fed per day would relate with Innova.  However, Innova has a slightly higher kcal/cup, so possibly you would feed less, get more feedings per bag, and therefor the higher price?

Innova Large Breed Adult: 3,700 kcal/kg (95 g = 1 cup)
       Large Breed Puppy: 3,601 kcal/kg (102 g = 1 cup)
Canidae ALS: ME (kcal/kg) 4125

Offline Edwpang

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 11:17:11 am »
Sure, when feeding we use number of cups. But my original question was regarding price difference between Canidae and Innova. Sorry for causing the confusion.
Anyway, I'll feeding the current Canidae, and decide later if I need to switch and what to switch.