Author Topic: Housetraining Bouvier puppies  (Read 6192 times)

Offline superrhanna

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Housetraining Bouvier puppies
« on: October 18, 2007, 06:20:42 am »
WE have 2 4 month old Bouvier puppies that we are having difficulty house training.

They have accepted their crates as safe haven and have no accidents in them however, when they are in the home environment they frequently have accidents - no signs from them that they need to go out etc.

We only feed them at specific times of the day and remove feed after 1/2 hour.  They do go outside frequently, especially after feeding..

What are we doing wrong??

Appreciate any words of wisdom!

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Housetraining Bouvier puppies
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 12:58:05 pm »
how often are you taking them out?  what seems like a lot to us, really isn't when you consider they're small puppies.  when we get a new pup, we usually start with taking them out every 30 minutes, and crating if we can't constantly watch them.  giving signs when they need to go will come with age, though some dogs may never give signs, or just give little ones you wouldn't normally notice.  peanut is 1 and just stares at you if he has to go.  anywho, they're just babies.  they'll get better at it as they mature some.  i know when peanut was a baby, we could watch him and when he looked like he was on a mission, or distracted, sniffing, etc. it was time to go!  with two, it's always harder b/c they're so into each other playing lol
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
Re: Housetraining Bouvier puppies
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 09:02:29 pm »
Housebreaking can be a challenge especially when you have two to contend with..Sometime s the signs they give we can't readly read...which complicates things...

I would not worry too much

You could try rewarding them when you do take them out and they perform what you want...they catch on quick..

The biggest lessen I have learned from my Bouv is that they really need to know when they do something correctly..Whe n they know they are doing it right they are very pleased with themselves and repeat whatever it is with real gusto..

Love to see pictures of your two..

Tricia and the fur kids