Author Topic: Any Other Therapy BIG Paw dogs?  (Read 7409 times)

Offline NTMastiff

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Any Other Therapy BIG Paw dogs?
« on: October 23, 2007, 02:30:32 pm »
Major is an English Mastiff CGC, TDI and I would love to meet other "Big Paw" Therapy dogs that are in this group.

I am new to this group and think it is great that this is a non breed specific site just for the BIG guys!  :D

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
Re: Any Other Therapy BIG Paw dogs?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 12:10:40 pm »
You are right when you speak of this group being great.
Magic is my TD and has been for 7 years offically.

It is wonderful work..We have been with Delta for 2yrs
TDI for 2 yrs and now with TDinc for 3yrs.

We were in good standing with all three groups I just prefer TDInc best.

Welcome to the group

Tricia and the fur kids

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 12:22:04 pm »
Hi and welcome!
My pup Lily got certified with TDI in July. She is very young so we are starting slowly. We had a couple of visits so far.
Right now I am working on organizing a "Children Reading to Dogs" program with local public libraries. We should be starting very soon.
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 05:56:41 am »
How is it going setting that up with the library?  I tried that with my TD at the local library but was told that their insurance could not cover any dog on the property.  Same answer from the school district.
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 06:09:36 am »
How is it going setting that up with the library?  I tried that with my TD at the local library but was told that their insurance could not cover any dog on the property.  Same answer from the school district.
Does your therapy work organization provide you with insurance? TDI does. Some of the branches of our public libraries already work with Karma Reading Dogs and have no problems in that area. I hope my efforts will go through as well.
You can try contacting locall reading concil. They hac give a list of schools who would be interested or set up one for you.
Good luck!
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Bear

• Paw-meister
  • The Bear Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 10:21:54 am »
Bear's a retired therapy dog. He retired after just a year or two because he finds no interest in being sweet. His own ego should require therapy.

lorim2

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 09:28:54 am »
What a handsome guys Major is!  I have always wanted to start Marley on this but when he turned 2, hes kind of grumpy sometimes so now I dont know.  I would love to see more pics of your baby!

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 10:23:29 pm »
Bear's a retired therapy dog. He retired after just a year or two because he finds no interest in being sweet. His own ego should require therapy.

Excuse my jerky husband.  ::) Bear is stuck up and gets the most pleasure from being with his mom and dad. He likes getting his vest on and going for car rides but hated the hot hospitals and would get tired after a 1/2 hour or so. Also, he got irritated and would create loud & obnoxious "sighs" due to his popularity which often had us in the lobby unable to go to a room.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2007, 06:22:09 am »
I am really hoping to get into doing therapy dog work with Jenny. I think she would be a great therapy dog. I did the CGC test with my other dog and had researched doing therapy dog work with him, but he is a little too high strung and I just didn't quite trust him to remain calm. So, I let that idea go, but I've definitely been thinking about it again after getting Jenny. I'm going to enroll us in a basic obedience class this January, and then the CGC prep class, and hopefully be ready to take the CGC/TD test in the spring.

I'm glad to see there are other big therapy dogs out there!!
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline NTMastiff

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2007, 05:38:23 am »
If you are associated with TDI or TDinc you may want to make a copy of their insurance poplicy and give it to the schools or libraries and let them know that you ARE insured.

Terri