Author Topic: Diarrhea on RAW diet ... need advice  (Read 6938 times)

Offline kneil

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Diarrhea on RAW diet ... need advice
« on: April 02, 2005, 02:38:09 pm »
I have a big 8 1/2 month old Newf who has been on a RAW diet throughout his life. Unfortunately he's been having reoccurring bouts of diarrhea and I can't pinpoint the source. Some of the bouts have been quite urgent – twice in the car and once in his crate ... so fun. Otherwise he's doing great ... no accidents in the house since 14 weeks, a lean 110lbs, tall, good structure and coat, sharp eyes, etc.

If anyone has had and resolved similar issues please help. I think it's more than just loose stools due to too much oil or somethings else in the diet. It seems his system gets really upset.

Thanks,
Ken Neil

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Diarrhea on RAW diet ... need advice
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2005, 08:07:43 pm »
You should probably get a stool sample checked.  My Newfs were on that diet and they both picked up intestiinal nasties from the raw chicken.  I now cook for them....and give them their raw bones frozen.  No problems at all since I started cooking the meat and veg. 

Offline steelkiwi686

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2005, 04:57:58 pm »
Hi Ken, I have four big dogs on a raw diet and have never had that problem. My advice, you need more raw meaty bones with the emphasis on bones. If there is a time when there is too much  meat, or too much veggie or ogans, loose stools can be a probelm. You need the rmb every day.

Cheers,
Bridget

Offline shi_ni_ke

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 05:41:44 pm »
I would definately check with the vet. If the dog is having consistent bouts of diarrhea, then you have the diet out of balance or a medical problem. One of the things you can do in the meantime to help is to add canned packed pumpkin( not pumpkin pie mix) to his diet at each feeding.

You might also take him completely off all foods and put him on a chicken broth and brown rice diet until the vet examines him.. it will be easier on his stomach to digest and if it is something specific in his diet it will help his stomach settle down and then introduce each food you were feeding before hand back one at a time.  Also, have your vet check for a yeast infection as this will throw off the bacteria in their stomach and cause diarrhea as well.

We have a 17 year old husky who we rescued at age 12 and she can no longer tolerate any dry kibble, even the prescription foods and we have her on a modified barf diet and every once in awhile she gets ahold of something she shouldn't and we have to go through this for a few days, but the canned pumpkin normally helps is 12-24 hours.   

Offline Gerty

• Gnawer
  • The average dog is nicer than the average person
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2005, 08:04:43 pm »
I agree with everyone else.  It can occur due to too much vegetables, or too much meat.  Make sure to do the stool sample though, because it could be one of the more nasty parasites like coccidia.  I don't know how "severe" his bouts are, but it's always good to know.

I hope your Newfie is ok. 

Cheryl

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2005, 08:18:54 am »
Ken,
How is your Newf doing? Have you modified anything in his diet?
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline kneil

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2005, 06:07:58 pm »
After having the vet check River's stool (negative) and chatting with his breeder we decided to do a round of antibiotics. Sorry. Can't remember the name for the life of me ... starts is an "M" and is great for nastys that live in the G.I. but don't always register on the stool check. I didn't adjust a thing in his diet except to increase quantity as he grows. He is doing incredibly well. Solid stools. Same great coat. Same great dog.

Sorry it took so long to respond ...

Thanks to everyone for their help.
k

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2005, 09:56:50 am »

Oh God, I am so very sorry you got talked into putting your dog on Metronizadole even with a negative stool - this was not only unnecessary but that drug is not without side effects and its own harm.  I have to admit up front that drugs are a last resort in my home for my pets - only after I have exhausted all natural remedies without risk.  We turn way to quickly to a harsh drug for a "quick fix" to things.  Please remember that most drugs, except a specific antibiotic targeting a bacteria, suppress symptoms only, rather than cure the heart of the issue.  Going after diarrhea will not help you, since you want to find the issue, not treat the symptom.

I think it is worth mentioning here that diarrhea is a symptom, not a problem per se and can arise for a host of reasons.  It can be a parasite (coccidia or giardia most common), it can be a bacterial infection of some kind, it can be a food intolerance, it can be too much or too little of something causing loose stool, stress, IBS or IBD, colitis, or gastritis or, very common in giant breeds, a gastro-intestinal imbalance whereby there is not enough acidity and enzymes to process everything properly. Tracking when the diarrhea occurs, its substance, whether it is after meals, on an empty stomach, at certain times of day, when traveling, when home sleeping etc. is important to reigning it in.

Let us know how he is doing and whether the diarrhea is resolved.  Given that you said there were some "urgent" cases, it is less likely that it was too much or too little of something.  Urgency indicates the colon is trying to expel quickly.  I would certainly add a digestive enzyme to his food to help him break down everything - this is good practice even without a problem since why make the body work harder than it has too.  If you are feeding cooked or processed food, then a digestive enzyme is absolutely in order.  You may want to also add a probiotic, to help cleanse his system, such as Garden of Life.  If it is a parasite, there are many natueral remedies that address coccicidia and the like very effectively.  I rid a case of it in my home with olive leaf, parsley, black walnut tincture, and probiotic.

Good luck!
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2005, 10:11:08 am »
Sorry to hear about the runs.  You can add canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix - just plain pumpkin) will help get rid of the runs.  I would rest his gi tract with chicken broth and just start slowly adding back solid food.  Start with one type of RMB's and make sure he is ok with that then add in another type....some can't handle one type  of food but do great on others.

As for the flagyl (metroninzadole) - not sure he really needs to be treated.  I agree diarrhea is a symptom and not a disease process and it coulds be caused by all kinds of things.  Look for a holistic Vet - or a vet who is more up to date on raw feeding.  I have 2 vets...a holistic vet - who is wonderful (but she does not do surgerys.  Then I have my other vet who does my neuters and surgical type stuff.  Works well and my furr babies are ever rarely sick.  I really love raw feeding.  I noticed a huge difference in my dogs once I got them off the kibble.  So don't give up....  sometimes it is just a matter of trial and error and finding the right combo.
Timmie
ps....there are acouple of really great raw feeding message boards on yahoo...join!  it really helps because the advice is amazing.  Some very smart people...

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2005, 10:12:31 am »
bridgit - I love that pic.......what type of dog?
Timmie