Author Topic: Cleaning dog food containers?  (Read 2645 times)

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Cleaning dog food containers?
« on: October 31, 2007, 10:29:23 am »
My friend said that if dog food is left in a container and you just add more food to it when it's low that dogs can get sick (her dog had been sick). Has anyone heard of this? She was told to wash out and clean her dog food container every time she is adding a new bag (her dog stopped getting sick when she started doing this). It made me wonder if I should be regularly cleaning my dog food container, too! I've not cleaned it... :o

Do you keep your dog food in a container, in the bag, or some other way? Do you clean your container?
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning dog food containers?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 04:44:45 pm »
I have never washed out my container.  I always use all the old food first and then refill.  As long as you are rotating your grain stock by using all the old stuff first you should be okay.  If the bin ever smells funky then I will definitely clean it.

Kat
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline FXgirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 05:19:09 pm »
Your friend is right.

The oils that cling to the container will go rancid and make your dog sick.  So you should wash them out regularly. 

Or you can just leave the kibble in it's original bag and put THAT into the container(I'm sure you guys with the big paws will need the rubber maid garbage bins). Way less work.

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 05:04:02 am »
The animal food containers here in Rodentville are metal trash cans with lids.  Two, forty-pound bags of kibble fit in each can.  Our 400 lbs. of dogs go through the kibble too fast to make it worth the bother to store it any other way.  The smaller sized cans get used for the goat, bird and rat food.
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua