Author Topic: I'm sick of hearing about my "small" Newf !!!  (Read 20202 times)

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
Re: I'm sick of hearing about my "small" Newf !!!
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2007, 08:20:20 pm »
You know, it's the same thing with pregnancy - people can't just say "Hey, you look great!" They have to say, "Oh my God, you poor thing, you're HUGE! Are you SURE it's not twins?" Or, "Wow, you're 8 months? You're so TINY!" I go out of my way to purposefully compliment a preggo lady and tell her how good she looks (even if she doesn't) because I totally know the feeling!! Never let them see that they have irritated you. Sometimes just shrugging your shoulders and saying "huh..." will do the trick.  ;)
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2007, 08:44:29 pm »
She actually sounds like she's going to be a good sized newf. Kali is small she's usually between 100-105lbs. It's kind of funny when I tell people she IS a little small for her breed. Those who are knowledgeable about the breed do comment on it but so far none have been too haughty about it. Then there's always the question of how I can control her as she does weigh more than me usually which is when I explain I have unruly 1300lb 3 yr old draftX at home who makes Kali look like a shrimp :D.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2007, 10:15:39 pm »

This is her first baby and before she got pregnant, she worked hard to keep trim and in shape.  So many people felt the need to tell her how big she was.  It must have been hard for her.  I've never been pregnant, but I can only imagine that she felt like a blimp, so I just told her the part of the truth she should hear:  That her sparkling eyes, glowing skin and perma-smile made her look absolutely fantastic and that impending motherhood suits her very well.

Good for you, that was the perfect thing to say!  I think that all pregnant mom's wish that everyone was as diplomatic as you were.  ;)  ;D  It sounds like you took the "high road" with the instructor tonight and since you want to be involved in their future events, that was wise.  In time Sierra will show them...she'll get her big, fluffy coat in and she'll mature and then these folks will probably be more careful about such comments to other people in the future.  I know that our dogs always look much, much bigger when they have their full, fuffy winter coats.  My hubby just finished bathing Daisy and she looks pretty small right now, but when she's fully dry she'll look like she's gained 10#. lol  ;) :D
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2007, 06:35:17 am »
Her coat being thin probably has a lot to do with it.  Here are some pics of her before she started scratching.  The first two were only taken a month or so ago...

This is my favorite picture of her!

A little out of focus...sorry!

Compared with this picture I took just this morning...

Wow.  I didn't realize how thin she looks without all of that fluff.  I still don't think small is a good word for her though.  I actually think the shorter fur make her look a little tall and lanky...  Maybe I'm just being stubborn.  I'm usually good for that.  :)   

I WANT HER BIG THICK COAT BACK!!!!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 06:43:00 am by Newly Newfed »
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2007, 07:04:37 am »
It sounds like you took the "high road" with the instructor tonight and since you want to be involved in their future events, that was wise. 

Yeah, I don't want to burn any bridges.  And like I said, I'm sure he didn't mean it to be rude or ignorant.  Granted I don't know him all that well, but he doesn't strike me as that kind of person.  And right after he said that, he did say "What a beautiful dog though".  So that helped me hold my tongue.  HAHA!   :D

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2007, 08:24:21 am »
THis happens to me all the time with Binky, so I know how you feel.  Granted, Binky is actually small for a Pyr- only 60 lbs, and she has a more narrow face than most.  However, I am so tired of people- even vets- saying "oh, she must have Border Collie in her" or "I've never seen one SOOOOO SMALL!"  Umm, she is a purebred and yes I researched her breeder and met her parents...
But the worst part about these comments are that they make me feel a little guilty.  As you said, you wanted a big dog, so you got a Newfie- same for me but we went w/the Pyr.  I love Binky sooo much and would never want to "replace" her but when someone mentions her size, I feel almost disappointed as I really was expecting to have a giant dog.  :( Still Sierra is gorgeous and so is Binky so there !  :)
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2007, 09:11:02 am »
I can see how much that would bother you.  We actually call Gracie our "mini mastiff" as she's a year and a half and she's pushing a whopping 95 lbs at about 26 inches.  The standard states that females should be about 27 1/2 inches and about 120 to 170 pounds.  You know I don't really know what will help you not be so annoyed with the silly comments.  Now I too am extremely sensitive to comments about my pets and sometimes I think I may SNAP at the next dork who asks me if Gracie is a boxer.  Another way I can sort of relate is I'm totally over the "where is that horse's saddle" comments we get for Tonka, our Great Dane.  But we manage.  We've turned it into a game and just keep a continuing running tally of the comments.  54 since we got him about 2 months ago.  ;)  Also it makes me laugh when people ask what breed Rosco is.  We oblige and state he's our Toy German Shettwieller.  So, just keep a fun attitude and shake'em off.  I personally think that maybe I'm a bit jaded on size as if you really stop to consider the height and weight of our dogs, even if they are on the smaller side of the scale, they are still rather BIG.  And Sierra to me is no exception.  I think SIERRA IS PERFECT AND ABSOLUTELY STUNNING.  As you stated, you are very lucky and so is she to have one another and if her size never grows beyond where she is now, to me that would make her that much more special and unique.  Your dainty gorgeous princess Sierra.  By the way, her pictures are all beautiful.  I sort of like the short do..  She wears it very well.   But I am extremely excited to see all her beautiful locks grow back in.  Hang in there.  You may have a small Newf but she totally outweighs her size in personality and beauty.       
Misty slave to:
Gracie Belle, 2 year English Mastiff
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane
And last and most certainly NOT least, Linus 5 year old cat.

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2007, 10:53:09 am »
Yes, I do feel very lucky to have her.  Since we got her, I've been Newfie this and Newfie that...EVERYTH ING is in my life is Newfie related.  She easily fits in my little Plymouth Neon right now, but I am looking for a new car and here are my priorities for car shopping:  1 - Is it cute? and 2 - will my dog fit in it if she grows to the size of her parents?  Her mom was 27.5 inches and 165 lbs, her father was 30 inches and 187 lbs.  I guess that's why I'm surprised she's not bigger even at this age.  I expected her to be huge.  Anyway, I'm probably going with a Dodge CAliber, and Jeff thinkls I'm settling on a car I may not really want because of the dog.  It's not true, but it kind of shows you how everyone knows my dog is my life. 

Anyway, I'll be honest.  Do I want my dog to be big?   Heck yeah!  Will I be disappointed if she's not?  A little.  Will it make a difference how I feel about her?  No way.  She's an amazing dog and I feel so lucky she's mine!!

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2007, 12:09:03 pm »
If she turns out not to be as huge as you thought, you can love her to piece AND get another  ;). I like the T-shirt idea. I like the "piss off" part the best, but I can be snotty like that! I'd say "Yes, she's a Newf, and your opinion is not of interest to me...!". Seriously, though, if you are paying your instructor good money, which I imagine you are, I'd consider taking him aside and letting him know that his labeling of your dog as "the small Newf" feels a bit offensive, and you KNOW he CERTAINLY doesn't mean it that way, but you'd really prefer that he'd use her name. It's like if you go to some kind of NA group, they's say, "Oh, Bob's here", not "Oh, the crack head's here". She has a name - use it please!
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Kai - Aussie/Dobie

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2007, 01:43:56 pm »
Or, here's a t-shirt design...
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Kai - Aussie/Dobie

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2007, 12:34:19 pm »
I'm actually in the process of making a T-shirt saying this:

Yes, she is a Newfoundland.  No, she is not a black St. Bernard or a long haired Black Lab.  Yes, I know she's small - She's still a puppy!  She won't be done growing until she is 2 or 3 yrs old.  She is actually quite tall, already the average height for an adult female.  Please don't voice comments on the size of my "small" Newf - I have heard it all before and I don't agree.  Happy Drooling!

I have those sheets that you can print your own design on through your computer printer and then iron on to fabric.  I'm going to make it tonight.  Thanks for the inspiration Ali!  LOL!

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2007, 01:00:49 am »
I actually put the petco manager in her place the other day.  She came over and started saying how she had to come over and see the small little newf that comes in and she  knew it was her because she was so tiny, blah, blah, blah.  I said that I was thinking about what she said about Sierra being small, so I measured her and said she's over 25 inches at the shoulder and 80 lbs, so she not small.  She just appears small because she doesn't have all of her weight yet and her hair is thin.  She said she doesn't look that tall and a customer actually jumped in and said yes she does because his dog was that tall and they are the same size.  The manager just said "well, maybe I'm used to seeing the huge males that come in".  I said "yeah, maybe"  with a sweet smile and she just walked away.

Am I wrong for getting such satisfaction out of that?  LOL!

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2007, 01:12:57 am »
Totally justified!! Just like the guy who had to tell me how small Phelan was (even after explaining he's not full grown) because his friend (they always have friends) has a female who is 140lbs. So I felt the need to tell him top of breed standard for females is 120 ;D

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2007, 10:56:34 pm »
It can be annoying when people make comments about your dog - whatever the comments are - because strangers feel the need to be critical of things that are none of the freaking buisness. Of course you should brush it off. But my advice to you in this particular case is to tell them (or don't tell them and just know for yourself) that it's actually better that she is small. Yes, we all love big dogs, and let's be honest - even a small newf is a big dog. But she is still a puppy and the fact of the matter is that it's really in the best interest of big dog's to grow slowly. Since it's so common for big paws to have hip dysplacia and since growing slowly is one of the best things you can do to help prevent/alleviate HD, feel proud that she is still "small". My saint is a teeny-tine for a saint (only 110 full grown) and I am proud of that because she has hip dysplacia and her small(er) size helps reduce the effects of it. So be proud to be a 'small' big paw owner
RIP former BPO

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2007, 03:06:33 am »
I feel your pain! Sky is an Australian Shepherd and only weighs 32 pounds. It isn't that small for a stock-dog lines Aussie, but all the Conformations dogs we hang around are closer to 65 pounds, and Sky is dwarfed by them! It stinks, but we love 'em anyway!
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007