Author Topic: AHH Harley ate grapes!  (Read 6150 times)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
AHH Harley ate grapes!
« on: November 06, 2007, 12:03:55 pm »
Ugh what a day I had yesterday. Tim forgot his lunch and or course Harley didn't want it to go to waste! I zipped home at lunch and of course she ate the egg sandwich, left the orange, carrotts and banana. But ate the grapes! And there was quite a few of them. She looked fine, no vomit, took her out and she peed and pooped. I called the vet when I got back to work and they said she should be fine she didn't eat enough to cause worry but they would do blood work. I watched her all night. No vomiting, she was full of energy, no booty blow out. Took her to the vet, they squeezed her in before they were even open, did blood work on her, ran the tests right away for me and she is fine! WOOHOO! I have a few added gray hairs but I am so glad she is OK. No more grapes in this house.
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline mountaindogmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Jack & Greta's Pics
Re: AHH Harley ate grapes!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 06:38:32 pm »
The study I read said that as few as 8 grapes caused toxicity but it didn't specificall list the breeds/weights of the dogs tested so I'm not sure.
Greta - Greater Swiss Mountain Dog (DOB 5-20-06)
Jack - Great Pyrenees (DOB 12-26-06)
& Three Kitties - Zoie, Bella & Nessie!

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 06:52:53 pm »
My dalmation eats them right off the vine and has never been sick i always know when she has been eating them her lips are purple. Marina
Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 07:11:52 am »
It's good to hear that Harley's fine, despite the grape-eating debacle.
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 08:00:18 am »
Yeah, my vet said they don't know what causes the toxicity, if it is seeds, the fruit or the skin green vs red? Some dogs have no problems, others get very ill. She did eat quite a few about 20, and when I called they said the amount of grape per pound wasn't much so she should be fine but to get blood work done to make sure. The sign to look for is if they vomit after eating them then take your dog to the vet ASAP. It was quite scary. And what is even more scary is that not many people know that grapes can be dangerous. Not one person at my work knew about this, Tim (the hubby) didn't know. The only reason I knew was from reading it on here. So thanks to all of you for keeping everyone on top of what is dangerous to our fur kids!  ;D
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 08:29:03 am »
Before the grape debacle I used to freeze them and feed them to the puppies as a treat.  They LOVED them  No one ever had a problem but I don't take chances and don't feed them any more.

dohertyswissy

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 08:32:40 am »
Oh My Nina!!  I am so glad that Harley is okay!! 

Isn't that the great thing about this board??  Ranger had a little runny poo yesterday and I knew exactly what to do because of my friends here!

Give Harley a big ol hug from me and in your sternest voice say, "Auntie Heather says no grapes Harley!"   :-*  :)

Offline amylynn

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 11:19:31 pm »
I'm so glad to hear that Harley is alright. I had no idea that Grapes were toxic to dogs either. :( I must have missed that discussion.

Thanks for sharing that and again, I'm so happpy to hear that Harley is OK.

Blessings! :)
Amy Lynn