Author Topic: What the heck can I do about this?????  (Read 10227 times)

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
What the heck can I do about this?????
« on: November 07, 2007, 03:15:44 pm »
I am so mad I am shaking. Several weeks ago, my a-hole neighbor shot our little dog, Dixie. She got out of the house and apparently got in his trash. He shot her with a pellet/air riffle type gun. It was hard enough to make a puncture hole in her side. At first I didn't know what had happened to her, and his 11 year old daughter told me. We are supposed to be neighbors, I let his freakin 6 kids come over here and use are kids outdoor toys since he won't get them any. I take the 11 year old shopping with us and out to eat, to football games etc.
His 13 year old daughters cat got hit by a car a few months back. I saw it happen and we searched for her with him and found her dead. My husband put her in a bag and burried her for him.
After that his 13 year old daughter started buying cat food with her own money and coaxing my 3 cats to theri house and fed them daily. Well he just got her a kitten, and so she stopped feeding my cats, but still calls them over to pet them. 5 days ago our kitten came up missing...toda y his daughter said he pumped the gun atleast 10 times and shot her and she screamed and ran to the woods...I am sure she is dead.

He also has 3 trash cans with NO lids, and big holes split in the sides, raccoons get in them all the time. That causes more and more coons to come around, they wreck our deck nightly because of this. He started shooting them instead of getting better trash cans. We found baby coons half dead in OUR drivway over the summer and had to put them down!!!

He also has them throw all their food waste in the ditch across the road. My dogs saw it once, and now I can't even take them out without one of them trying to sneak off to eat whatever (chicken bones, rotten meat....) Plus being right by the road they could get hit. Why in the heck did I move out and buy 5 acres so that I can have an a$$ right next door. What can I do????

On a side note, he is an alcoholic, he has 2 kids and 4 step-kids. He took all the kids clothes away for the last week because they didn't put them away properly...the y have been wearing the same clothes for a week to school. I may call childrens services if their is no other option.
-Jodi
Mom to:
Thorn- 8 year old fawn male dane
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup
Gracie- Merelequin (deaf) dane pup

1996-2007
Tisha...my best friend, I miss you girl.

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
Re: What the heck can I do about this?????
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 03:49:12 pm »
OMG!!!
1. Child Welfare
2. Animal Control
3. Based on statements from the kids, you can probably call Law Enforcement, too. That is the most horrible awful terrible thing I have ever ever heard!! OMG - I'd actually call the police now if I were you. OMG!!!!
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 03:50:17 pm »
OMG, the man is crazy!!! I am so sorry you have to live right next to him. I am sure that there is something that can be done for shooting your animals...I just don't know what...Gawd, it sounds terrible  :'(
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 03:50:47 pm »
P.S. 8 foot privacy fence at the very least.
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 03:51:06 pm »
Call the athorities if he that much of a Fu$%ED up person to be so cruel to animals what is he doing to the kids. Call animal control on him for what he did to your cat and dog and child protection for what he is doing to them. He doesn't deserve those kids. He's a F&%ked up piece of SH&%!

Can you tell I'm angry!  >:(

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 04:28:27 pm »
YOu have to keep him busy. Start with child services, make the complaint- wait a few days, call animal control- or since you are in the country, the SPCA, call the Sheriffs dept about the illegal dumping. You keep him so busy with all of the different agencies that he doesnt know who or what is next and he is way more careful and hopefully not so stupid. I know that an 8 foot privacy fence is way expensive, but maybe a hot wire top and bottom on your fence. Also call PETA or any animal rights activist you can find about him shooting the racoons.

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 07:42:20 pm »
Dealing with this man is like talking to a board...he looks and acts like Homer Simpson...comp lete with the cheap beer and stomach.  I live on 5 acres...that is wayyyy to much land to privacy fence, plus what is the point of living in the country if you have no scenery??? I currently have a split rail between his property and mine, that keeps the danes and wolfhound over here (plus I am always out with them) but if the cats go out (we are currently trying our best to eep them in ) it has no effect on keeping them in the yard. EVERYONE has cats here, they have a cat, the neighbor on the other side of me have like 10 outside cats. My husband has gone over and helped him split wood, burried his cat, helped him move heavy stuff, my dad tilled his garden...plus what I have done for the kids. He never even had the decency to walk over or call and say "your dog got in my trash..." or whatever. I want to shoot him with my pellet gun and see how he likes it. Damn idiot.
-Jodi
Mom to:
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup

1996-2007

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 07:44:31 am »
We live next to my parents (they are in theri 70's and have a in-law suite/house next to ours.) My dad and my husband both keep telling me that "you can't go over there and go off on him, he will just get worse" I was so pissed lastnight I was going to go kick his trash cans over and slit his tires on his huge equipment ( those tires are EXPENSIVE) but...it wouldn't be worth getting caught etc. IAfter the dog getting shot...I was waiting for Karma to get him, but that is taking wayyy to long.
Over the summer he had a home made cannon thing that he kept shooting off. It made the windows rattle. The one day he let it off when my father was about 30 feet away. Dad had no clue it was coming. He has a bad heart and he was in tears saying it hurt his chest and felt like his heart stopped. He went over and screamed at Scott... Telling him if he EVER shot that thing again with out giving everyone notice he would call the cops. I was hoping he would let it off again, I would call them. But I guess dad put him in his place on that.
-Jodi
Mom to:
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup

1996-2007

Nicole

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 07:51:09 am »
Ok...

I know its been said, but I'm going to be forceful about this.

You HAVE to, I reapeat HAVE to call Child Protective Services. There is no choice. If he hurts one of the kids, or he takes away their FOOD cuz they wasted some or something, that will be a horrible feeling for you. Did I say this already? YOU HAVE TO CALL CPS. NOW. RIGHT NOW.

Ok. Now, as far as the other stuff, do you have a city services? Like, um, Vector Control? Vector Control is the part of the city (not a very well-known part) that deals with nasty food that attracts nasty animals. Most cities have that division, because most cities don't like rats and stuff. I would call them and report this guy. He is a public health hazard. If you don't have vector control, call your county health department. What he is doing is unaceptable and did I mention its a public health hazard?

Listen, shooting animals in front of his children is abuse enough. That could be your only reason for calling. Unfortunately, it goes beyond that. I know its hard to call CPS on your neighbors, but you HAVE to for those kids. Do it now.

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 07:32:42 pm »
Take pictures before you call. 
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 08:59:16 am »
There is a bit of good news in this. Miss Cloe came home , or should i say another neighbor saw her almost a mile down the road and brought her to us. I can't find any wounds on her...but I am thinking the reason she ended up far away was from him shooting at her and her wanting to get the heck out of there. She is in the house now with the other cats.
-Jodi
Mom to:
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup

1996-2007

Offline Ice Blue

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 10:58:29 am »
I'm so sorry you have to deal with such a horrible and disgusting person. It makes me sick that people like him exist, how could he do that to an animal. My advice is document, document, document. Document in the means of pictures and writing, any way you can, for both your animals and his children. It will make things easier down the road when you have evidence and can bring up the specifics.

I'm so happy you found Miss Cloe!! I'm thinking of you and giving you strength.
Caitlin

Remy - German Shepherd (7 mths)
Copper - Shetland Sheepdog (14 yrs)
Birch - Lizard (Mali Uromastyx)

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 07:59:44 pm »
OMG!  That man is just plain crazy!
I would be very concerned, not just about the pellet gun stuff but he took all his kids clothes' and made them wear the same thing to school all week?  That borders on neglect and who knows what else he has done to them?

If you have city garbage pickup, I'm surprised they allow him to have damaged and unlidded garbage cans.  Usually they're very specific about what is and isn't allowed.

And as for the dumping of food in the ditch?  Besides illegal dumping I think there may be some health code violation there b/c of the attraction of rodents and other potentially disease ridden critters.

Are you w/i city limits?  On 5 acres I'm not sure that you are, but if you are, it is illegal to shoot off firearms w/i city limits.  Not sure if an air rifle is considered a firearm or not but it can still do some damage.

Unfortunately if you are not w/i city limits and your dog was on his property, the law is on his side and he had the right to shoot at your dog.  Was he right?  Absolutely not!  But legally speaking I don't know if he could be charged with anything for that.

But I would definitely call the authorities and as many as you can to get this wacko some help or arrest him or something.  Something needs to be done b/c he obviously thinks he's doing nothing wrong and sounds like he has one of those "God" complexes.  Very scary.

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2007, 08:40:52 pm »
I am no where near the city limits. I am not sure about local laws regarding shooting people pets. Many places have laws that say you can shoot a dog/ cat etc. if they are killing livestock etc. not just standing in ypur yard or eating trash. I have photos of my dogs wound from when he shot her, and I am keeping a list of things that happen. I don't think I will get anywhere reporting him right now, I think I am better off building my case and getting my "ducks in a row" so to speak.
-Jodi
Mom to:
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup

1996-2007

Nicole

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2007, 01:33:16 am »
I think I am better off building my case and getting my "ducks in a row" so to speak.

This might be true as far as your animals are concerned, but as far as the situation with his kids, the CPS investigators are the ones that need to build the case and get the details. The kids are being neglected and likely abused in the meantime. You should call CPS.