Author Topic: 2 Great Pyrenees Puppies/ 5 weeks  (Read 22868 times)

Offline heartofwisdom

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
    • Heart at Home Blog
2 Great Pyrenees Puppies/ 5 weeks
« on: November 10, 2007, 06:27:18 am »
Bear with me I'm green. I purchased 2 Great Pyrenees puppies yesterday. I've been up all night. Obviously 5 weeks was too early to leave mom.

The pups were born in a barn and remained there. They were quite dirty and full of fleas and ticks. I gave them baths and cut burs from their hair. I have them inside in large cage. We have 20 acres.

I have several questions can't get to a vet until tomorrow. ???

1. Should I put them on formula? They are eating puppy chow. Do they need more?

2. One is the runt--but he is 1/4 the size of the other. Has anyone seen a runt this small? I'm wondering if he is from another litter? see photo at http://heartofwisdom.com/images/pry_puppies/puppies1.jpg

3. The runt wants to be held or he cries. Is this OK or spoiling?

Thanks,
Robin
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 06:58:51 am by heartofwisdom »
Robin

marypyrs

Re: 2 Great Pyrenees Puppies/ 5 weeks
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 07:33:52 am »
OMG!!!!  ???  ???  ???  ???

Why did these people let the puppies go at such an early age?!?!

Yes. They need to be on more than puppy chow. Yes, I've seen wee ones born in a normal sized litter. And NO you won't be spoiling. He needs his Momma!  :'( They both do. One thing you might want to do is get down on ground level to hold him.  :-*  :-*

OMG! This really bothers me. Please tell us more. Where are you?

Jane

modified to add. It's probably a good thing you stepped in. What with them covered in fleas and ticks. Good Lord! What's the matter with those people?!!?! Get them into the Vet first thing in the morning. How many were left? The poor Momma Pyr! Gurrrrrr!!!!! I get so upset with this stuff! But good for you to step forward. And welcome to BPO. Although I wish it could be under happier circumstances.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 07:44:25 am by marypyrs »

Offline AnnaCrew

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
    • Come and pat Grace
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 07:46:09 am »
5 weeks! OMG! They need so much love and care now! Do you have any other dog at home who would be able to take care of them - I mean dogwise - to teach them right beheivior, lick them, socialize?

Give us please more info!
http://ozolkalni.blogspot.com/
Come and pat Grace athttp://en.uniteddogs.com/dog/16498

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 07:54:37 am »
Well at least you have them and now they are going to be in better hands than where they came from. Hold them - Hold them all of the time- if that is what they want. I held only of mine all of the time until she was about 5 months old and then she decided that she needed to be more independent. She is one of the most secure wonderful dogs that I have ever had and I think that she is a better dog because of the commitment that I made to her.
They are going to need  more than puppy chow. Until you can get into the vet you could supplement with some powdered formula mixed and offered to them.

Also what about the rest of the litter as Jane was inquiring? Maybe we can help get them placed into a rescue.

Welcome to the board- keep posted on thier update.
I am Paige and have 4 Pyrs, 3 Danes and a Newf mix and we just picked up a Pyr Foster on Friday evening

Offline heartofwisdom

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
    • Heart at Home Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 11:17:33 am »
I'm in Shelbyville TN. The dogs were in the Murfeesboro newspaper. There are two boys left. The owner actually told me I shouldn't ever pet them-- can you believe it. He said if we pet them they won't be good goat dogs.

I don't have another dog (just miniature horses)My 3 boys and I are spending huge amount of time carrying them around or on the floor with them. I rock them in a blanket. The runt -Peppy-likes to snuggle under my arm Precious lays her head on my neck.

Sorry I didn't realize 5 weeks was too young. We answered an ad in the paper I should have done more research.

I'll try to get into a vet in the morning.

Thanks for the advise.
Robin
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 11:20:34 am by heartofwisdom »
Robin

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 03:44:48 pm »
Hi Robin & congrats on your new little fluffy babies. ;D  :-*  I'm so glad that these little ones have you and your family now, and I hope that the other puppies end up with nice families, too.  Sigh, 5 weeks old, covered in fleas & ticks and the farmer said that you shouldn't pet them?  Grrrrrrrrrrrr. ...........  I just hope to heck that the rest of the babies find homes like yours and that this guy gets his dogs spayed/neutered like YESTERDAY!  You may want to get in contact with your local Great Pyrenees Club Rescue to see if they know of this guy and if they can think of something to do to help the remaining puppies.  :(   Here's a link that will give you names & contact info:

www.clubs.akc. org/gpca/gresqcont.html

Peppy & Precious are just that, precious!  I think that your vet will be able to tell you whether or not they are litter mates or if they are a few weeks apart.  If they're litter mates, then Peppy may need some extra care to help him catch up.  Also, I've read about dwarfism in Pyr puppies and that one litter can have both full-sized & dwarf puppies, so that may be a possiblility, too.  If so, I'll look for the web site for you for more info.  Pyr pups with dwarfism are often very healthy, sweet, happy dogs just in a smaller size.  Personally, I think that they are adorable too so I wouldn't be concerned.   Either way, they'll make great family members.  I've found Pyr's to be very habit forming, so welcome to the club.  ;)  ;D  I just know that you're going to love your two!  Please keep us posted, I can't wait to watch them grow!   ;D

Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 03:56:33 pm »
Hey There! Welcome to BPO! Let me firt just say, you'll love this place. The people are all very nice and always have advice to give. If no one knows the answer to a question (which is very unlikely it seems like) we'd all help you to figure it out! My name is Samantha, owned by my great pyrenees Miles. We are somewhat new to this group as well. Have been on here a couple months, and it is great!

Now to the puppers! They are soooo darn cute! It almost makes me want another one! Almost..but Miles at almost 5 months old is more than handful himself! hahaha I agree with everyone else, the fact they were taken from their mother and littermates young may make things a bit more difficult with training and socialization. It is good that they can both sort of learn from each other where to draw the line as far as playing and biting goes.

Now, I have heard of runts being small...but it's almost like the larger puppy is older than 5 weeks. I agree more around 7 or 8 weeks. Miles was about the bigger pups size when we got him at 7 weeks. Or maybe the runt is a dwarf. I have heard this is uncommon but can happen in pyrs. If so, that would be wayy cute! A mini pyr ;D

And I cannot believe this "breeder". The conditions those poor puppies were in is absolutely ridiculous. I'm so glad you found them and rescued them! I just feel so bad for the mommy and daddy of these pups! No petting!? I just don't even know what to say to that!
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2007, 04:27:23 pm »

Or maybe the runt is a dwarf. I have heard this is uncommon but can happen in pyrs. If so, that would be wayy cute! A mini pyr ;D

Yeah, I don't know if this is the case with Peppy or not, I just mentioned it as a possibility, but I absolutely adore the little Pyrs, too.   ;) ;D  :-*  I've been thinking of letting our local rescue coordinator know that we'd be interested if they ever have a dwarf Pyr come into our rescue.  I've loved them ever since I saw some adorable pics.  Our Cassie is probably 3/4 Pyr and she's small, but just totally perfect.  I call her my little Pocket Pyr.  ;)  ;D  She's incredibly loving, and so darn smart & funny!  :D  So anyway, whether or not Peppy is a big boy, he will certainly be a wonderful boy!  :-*  ;D
Marie

And my pups:

Offline mountaindogmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Jack & Greta's Pics
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2007, 11:38:40 pm »
There was a dwarf pup in Jack's litter as well - from the looks of that pup, I would suspect dwarfism.  This usually doesn't result in any major problems but the dog will obviously be much smaller than an average Pyr.  Be sure to mention it to the vet - as far as breeds go, Pyrs are one of the more common breeds for dwarfism.
Greta - Greater Swiss Mountain Dog (DOB 5-20-06)
Jack - Great Pyrenees (DOB 12-26-06)
& Three Kitties - Zoie, Bella & Nessie!

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2007, 11:59:47 pm »
The little one could just be the runt of the litter and as so misses out on a lot of food and mama's milk.  With care the runts can and do catch up and the runt may end up being a big boy.  In one of my litters I had a wee one that we called feather- he was so small he was less than 1/2 the size of the others  At 14 months he is a rather big boy weighing in around 100 pounds!

For these pups I would worm worm and worm again  Food would be goats milk mixed with rice or cereal at least twice a day and I personally would put them on meats. All this in addition to a good quality kibble which I would have available 24 hours a day.

Not petting your livestock guardians is hog wash!!  They will bond with all animals on their property over time.  My show dogs will guard their sheep when put in with them even though they may not have met a sheep until they were older  They prefer to be in the house but when placed with the sheep they do their duties rather well

Offline heartofwisdom

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
    • Heart at Home Blog
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2007, 11:55:12 am »
The pups met the minis today.

Thanks everyone for your input! I took the pups to the vet today. Peppy weighs 4.8 while sister Precious weighs 12.5.
He said sometimes pups can be small due to internal problems but its rare. We will watch peppy.The vet thinks they probably are litter mates but Peppy needs "groceries."

He feels Peppy is thin and small becasue he was scooted out by brothers and sisters. YOu can feel his little ribs easy.

As to being away from mom-- he feels we can do a better job of socializing considering the circumstances that mom is so busy with goats and the owner neglected them. 

He gave them shots and worming meds I will continue for three days.He put them on Purina ProPlan Chkn and rice formula (contains milk proteins). He doesn't think I need to give liquid formula.

If peppy is a dwarf he'll fit in here with our three miniature horses.

I'm looking forward to sharing photos of them growing with you all here. I took several photos of pups with the horses today-posted at under Great Pyrenees Pictures.

thanks for making us feel so welcome.
Robin

« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 12:39:36 pm by heartofwisdom »
Robin

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2007, 12:58:10 pm »
The pups met the minis today.

As to being away from mom-- he feels we can do a better job of socializing considering the circumstances that mom is so busy with goats and the owner neglected them. 

If peppy is a dwarf he'll fit in here with our three miniature horses.
thanks for making us feel so welcome.
Robin

I'm really glad that the puppies checked out ok at the vet.  I have to agree that even though they are so young to be without their mom that they are much better off with you than they were at that farm.  Our Daisy was 7-8 weeks when we bought her from some kids outside of a grocery store, but she was so sick that she needed $400 worth of vet care first thing the next morning, so we've always felt like we rescued her too, though we "bought" her also.  Peppy & Precious needed you and I'm so glad that they're safe & happy now (not to mention totally adorable!).  

I love your comment about a how Peppy would fit right in with your mini's if he's going to be a small Pyr, that's just wonderful!  You never know, like Patrick said, sometimes they just grow really fast and catch up, but if not, he'll be loved either way and that's what counts.  I adore my Pyrs, but sometimes their size isn't so convenient.  ;)  ;D  We have 3 sons and 3 dogs and it takes a 15 passenger van for us to travel with any ease (and even then it's a 3-ring circus, LOL!).  So I've always thought that to have the wonderful aspects of a Pyr in a little smaller package just might be a really fun change for us.   ;)  ;D 
Marie

And my pups:

Offline heartofwisdom

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
    • Heart at Home Blog
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2007, 01:07:56 pm »
We have a 3-ring circus too. Peppy could be a dwarf. I found these photos of a 7 week Pry  dwarfs

http://www.sonic.net/~cdlcruz/dwarfs/dwarfpups.html

Cuties.
Robin

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2007, 01:29:16 pm »
Welcome! Your pups are absolutely adorable  :-*
I have to agree with Tina about the food for them though...Purin a is really bad! Those little guys need some real food now to boost immune system and get strong.
You can get some really good suggestions from the food forum  ;) 
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2007, 03:07:06 pm »
We have a 3-ring circus too. Peppy could be a dwarf. I found these photos of a 7 week Pry  dwarfs

http://www.sonic.net/~cdlcruz/dwarfs/dwarfpups.html

Cuties.

Ha, ha!  I know the feeling well!  You should've seen our last trip in April!  3 kids, 3 dogs, 1 cat, 2 looney parents...LOL. ..all in one hotel room b/c a last-minute snow storm made it impossible to take our RV.   ;D  ::)  :P

That web site is one of the one's that I've seen before, too.  It's hosted by Catherine de la Cruz, a very helpful & knowledgable Pyr expert.  If you have any questions about Peppy, you could contact her or I'm sure that any of your local pyr club people would be happy to help, too. :)
Marie

And my pups: