Author Topic: Homemade food  (Read 3292 times)

Offline SadieA

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Homemade food
« on: November 10, 2007, 07:48:15 pm »
I've decided to start supplementing Sam's dog food with some homemade food. Last week I made my first batch: boiled up a bunch of chicken and carrots, stripped it off the bone and shredded it up really well, stirred in some cooked rice and added a bit of this to his regular food every day. He loved it! This week, though, there was really cheap beef at the store.  However, I  don't have a grinder. I've chopped it up into TINY pieces (haha, took me about an hour to do the several pounds I'd bought) and now it is boiling up with some carrots and potatoes. I'm nervous, though. The pieces are small (I'd say none as big as one cm square), but still, could he choke? I know it would be better if  I could grind it up, but I just can't today. I can try to chop some more after it's cooked- what do you all think??

Also, Sam has had some pretty bad dandruff (at least I think it's bad, I've never had a dark-colored dog before though, so maybe this is normal and I never knew)... should I supplement his food, maybe, with some kind of oil or other supplement?

Thanks!

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Homemade food
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 11:08:44 am »
I boil whole chickens, ground beef or beef meaty bones, strip off all the fat, grissle, skin and meat, everythings but the bones, goes into the food processor.  I then mix a little of the broth with it and freeze meal size containers.  I also cook brown rice and freeze meal size containers.  I microwave enough for their supper and mix with their kibble.  In the morning I feed kibble mixed with cottage cheese.  I like variety in my diet and like to give them variety.  I tried adding chunks of boiled potatoes and carrots to their food.  The Pyr and the IW like it but my Tibetan Mastiff takes a mouthful of food, wallows it around in his mouth, then spits out the potatoes or carrots as he eats.  When he is done, there is a small pile of veggies on the floor by his dish.  It is kind of funny to watch.  I also sometimes mix salmon with their food.  They all seem to enjoy it.  They like the chicken best, but the beef gives me something different to switch their meals up.  My dogs have great coats and I get the security of knowing what I am feeding.  I also give them fish oil capsules.  My IW chews them up and swallows, the other 2 I push it down their throat. You can use the same cooked, pureed meat and broth to make biscuits.  Just mix in eggs and flour (I use soy, oat, and brown rice organic flours).
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 11:13:55 am »
I remember cooking soups for my collie back in the day...She would hold her breath while she dive for meat inside of soup meal and eat meat only  ;D It was funny to see bubbles coming out of her nose while she was doing that BUT sad because I was waisting food  >:(
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 04:05:24 am »
If you are feeding homemade, just remember to make it balanced. Add bone meal or raw bones for him to eat. I feed raw to my girl so her bone is in the food and she just chews it right up  :) Add some fish oil directly to the food or in pill form and that will help with the skin. If you decide to go only homemade you will notice his coat getting better. You will also notice you will feed less as they absorb all the nutrients. Also less poop which is really nice!  ;D

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 10:33:42 pm »
I've started making "gruel" for the dogs to supplement their kibble, since they are both so spoiled that they will no longer eat "just dry" food!!  I boil skinless, boneless chicken breasts in a mixture of organic (gluten free from Trader Joes) chicken broth and water.  I include unpeeled sweet potatoes with it to give it some body.  Then I put the whole mess (minus the broth) into the Cuisinart and blend it until it's gooey. I then add the broth to it and it becomes "gruel" consistency.  The dogs love it and it's easy & cheap to make.  Three small chicken breasts and one potato will make enough for three days worth of meals!  I'd love to hear other people's recipes, though, so if anyone has another good (grain-free) wet food recipe, pass it along!! 
"Be the change you wish to see in the world"-Gandhi