Author Topic: Poor Mack :(  (Read 3500 times)

Offline Krystal_00

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Poor Mack :(
« on: November 11, 2007, 07:08:07 pm »
Well it seems Mack has developed an allergy to his food :( (Innova Large Breed Puppy) which really sucks!! He has chewed holes in his back...so i had his back partially shaved (bout the middle of the back right to the base of his tail) It was just getting to be a big bloody scabby dirty greasy flaky mess...ewww! So my beautiful boy has no fur there anymore:( The vet said he should eat this "medi-cal duck and potato food" I was reluctant to buy it so i only bought a teeny little bag to tide us over till i could find something better.

The vet thinks its chicken he is allergic to, so i had to find a food with no chicken, and still healthy. Has anyone ever heard of Go!Natural food? I bought him the Salmon and Oatmeal formula. I want to know if this is ok for a big paw? I would eventaully like Mack and Decker to both eat the same food, but I just (seriously, the day before we went to the vet) spent 300 bucks on Innova, so Id like Decker to finish that off first lol.

Mack seems to be doing ok on the food, he had a bit of the squirts this evening, but that is normal as he has a very finicky tummy. I quit my job tonight because I felt so bad about leaving my boy sick at home (omg what WONT we do for our dogs :D)

So any opinions on the GO!Natural food? Good for a big paw or no?
When the last fish has been caught and the last tree has been cut down...Only then will man realize that he cannot eat money.

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Poor Mack :(
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 12:20:06 am »
I'm not familiar with that brand, either, but what about California Natural? It's on www.naturapet. com along with Innova, but it's the food they offer for animals with allergies and sensitivites. They have less ingredients and have 2 different chicken-free formulas--a lamb formula and a fish formula.

I hope that Mack feels better soon!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 01:34:39 am by pyr4me »
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Lyn

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 12:43:19 am »
How old is Mack now? Orijen makes a fish only formula. It's grain free, but high protein. I alternate it with the regular adult Orijen for Bubba and Lola.

There's always Natural Balance Duck and Potato if you want to stick to the same proteins the vet suggested. 

I did have Bubba on the Go! Natural Salmon and Oatmeal awhile ago. I only bought one bag though since Bubba didn't really like it. 

Orijen 6 fish - http://www.championpetfoods.com/orijen/products/ORIJEN6FishIngredients.aspx
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 01:21:20 am by Lyn »

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 02:59:18 am »
With where he was itching I would think of a flea or other insect bite first  With food allergies you usually see a lot of licking of the feet.  We just survived an attack of the killer fleas and 2 of our dogs got hot spots- one in the middle of her back.  But it never hurts to try the non-allergenic foods anyway.

Offline Krystal_00

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 12:22:55 pm »
Thanks everyone :)

Theres not too much for fleas in our area, but since I do take my dogs to warmer climates ocasionally, they are both on flea prevention.... Mack was licking at the pads of his feet as well but most of his efforts were concentrated on chewing the crap out of hs back :(

Food is a hard thing....I live in a small fairly isolated town and its hard for me to find good food (I had to drive 3 hours round trip to get Innova) and with winter coming its not a trip I am wanting to make often (roads are often closed in the winter here) I really really love Innova, but I guess we will have to find something else. He seems to like this salmon food but we will see, he is having some booty blow-out from it...which is normal for his tummy....
When the last fish has been caught and the last tree has been cut down...Only then will man realize that he cannot eat money.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 06:18:11 am »
Oh boy do I ever sympathize!  Daisy's been on Natural Balance Duck & Potato for a year and a half for IBD and now she's developed itchy skin and a hot spot.  We've checked everyone nose to tail for fleas (didn't find any sign) but finally put Advantage on her anyway in hopes that she had fleas that we just missed, but it didn't help.   :-\  We bathed her thinking maybe she'd gotten into something itchy, but that didn't help either!  The vet was stumped but put her on Benedryl, and an antibiotic & a topical spray for the hot spot, but she still chews and scratches. I'm pretty nervous about changing food b/c that can quickly make her very, very sick with the worst vomiting & diarrhea that I've ever seen in a dog, but I'm almost desperate enough to try that now.  We also live in a small town and our options are pretty limited too, but I know of a couple of companies that will ship dog food, so if you need some contact info let me know.  Regarding duck & potato foods?  There is also Simply Natural Duck & Potato.  I've had some samples of it and our dogs love it, it's just not available here (except for mail order), but you might want to try it.  One more idea for healing up these sores?  Our old vet (years ago) used a powder called NeoPred-F and it worked great!  Our vet here is trying to order it for us for Daisy.
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees