Author Topic: Does my puppy have Newfoundland in him?  (Read 8791 times)

Offline Budrbean

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Does my puppy have Newfoundland in him?
« on: April 18, 2007, 12:41:51 am »
Hi all, new user here.  I have a 4 month old puppy that I adopted from a shelter about a month ago.  They told me he is a bull dog mix, but many have said that is untrue.  After some research it appears he has newfoundland in him based on his markings, head shape and muzzle area.  Only thing is that he is short haired so hes probably mixed.  Any ideas?  A lot of people ask does he have dewclaws, so that answer is yes. The first pic is him approx 2 months old.....the second is the most recent at 4 months.  Thanks for any input.

EDIT: I also just noticed he has webbed toes on his feet

« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 12:45:17 am by Budrbean »

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Does my puppy have Newfoundland in him?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 12:53:56 am »
He looks like he has lots of Saint in him! What a cutie!!!
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Nicole

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 12:58:21 am »
Hmmm....in that second pic, he looks like he could have some Dane in him. His head looks a little Dane-ish. I don't really see Newf. I mostly see Dane and definitely the bulldog. American Bulldog, that is.

He's AWFUL cute though!

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 01:07:42 am »
OMG! what a cutie pie!!!  he definately looks like he has some dane in him!  especially in the second pic.  whatever he is it's a cutie pie mix!! hehe!
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Anakalia

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 01:53:40 am »
I agree with Nicole, looks like he may have a bit of Dane in the mix, he's absolutely adorable!  I'd love to see more pics of him as he grows up.  ;D

Offline Budrbean

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 05:44:58 pm »
Are there any other breeds that have webbed toes that you all may know of?

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 06:03:38 pm »
I agree with seeing Dane and American Bulldog. He looks to have a huge head! He is certainly going to be gorgeous whatever he is! I don't know anything about breeds with webbed feet though. Oh yeah and maybe Saint too, I don't know. He's sure an interesting mix.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 06:04:34 pm by mama23+pyrs2 »

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 06:21:12 pm »
here's a partial list of dogs with webbed feet.  he does look saint-ish in his face though, maybe saint bernard / pointer cross, with that black and white he looks a lot like some pointers i've seen.

Akita
Brussels Griffon
Chesapeake Bay Retriever
Chinook
Field Spaniel
German Shorthaired Pointer
German Wirehaired Pointer
Irish Water Spaniel
Labrador Retriever
Leonberger
Mi-Ki
Miniature Poodle
Native American Indian Dog
Newfoundland
Norwegian Buhund
Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
Otterhound
Plott Hound
Portuguese Water Dog
Redbone Coonhound
Ringtail Sing-a-Ling
Spanish Water Dog
Toy Poodle
Weimaraner
Wirehaired Pointing Griffon
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 06:26:08 pm by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline FXgirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 06:26:19 pm »
He looks Saint-ish to me but that doesn't explain the webbed feet.  Maybe there's some black lab there?

Offline Brownis15

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2007, 09:47:55 pm »
I see Dane too! LOL BUT! at the shelter a few months ago we got these HUGE black puppies in that all looked like newfs. We put that on their cage cards and everything. Well it turned out they were lab/anatolian shepherd mixes!!???!! We would never have known. I saw one the other day and she was 100 pounds and growing! Looked like a big hairy black lab. lol. He could be anything, but he is so so cute!! More pics! Please! ;) :)
“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.”

The loves of my life

Atlas - GSD
Merlin - Papillon
SweetPea - Papillon

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2007, 06:54:53 am »
How precious!  I def see the Bulldog, and there could be some Dane.  Whatever he is, he is adorable.
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2007, 11:30:54 am »
julie maybe you can help, i'm getting mixed reports.  do pointers have webbed feet?  they're hunting dogs, and in the same class as some of the ones in the list.  i think they do, but can't remember.
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2007, 11:45:33 am »
about that though, is german short hair / wire haired ones are on a different "breed" as just pointers... ?
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline bellamina

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2007, 08:58:45 am »
Hi--I just discovered this website a few minutes ago.  I was searching on Google for dog breeds who have webbed paws.  I, like you, got a puppy from an animal shelter.  I have had a few dogs in my lifetime; but this puppy that I have now is the first one that I have ever seen with webbed paws!!!  I am sorry that I cannot provide a picture of my 5-month-old puppy at this time; but she is a short-hair and she's tan and white and very, very cute---just like your puppy!  The animal shelter says my puppy is part Australian Shepherd and part Mountain Cur.  She's a working dog species.  She loves to sniff and she loves to chase things that move.  She has been in water puddles in my yard.  She doesn't mind much being in a bathtub.  I couldn't do that with my other dogs that I have had!  When summer comes, it will be interesting to see how my puppy, whose name is Bella, will take to the swimming pool that I have for my 3 grandkids.  Your puppy resembles my puppy as far as the short hair and markings go---even if yours is black and white and mine is tan and white.  My puppy has a slimmer build compared to your puppy.  Enjoy your puppy---he's a cutie!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 09:02:38 am by bellamina »

Offline Norri

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2007, 01:52:59 am »
He might have some AMERICAN bulldog and/or Dane in him.  Whatever he is, he is CUTE!!!
Norri
mom to three teenage boys (the human kind) and Stanley,our fawn Great Dane puppy