Author Topic: Getting a Newfoundland.. Male or Female?  (Read 29518 times)

Offline JuneBug Army

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Getting a Newfoundland.. Male or Female?
« on: November 13, 2007, 12:17:41 pm »
Hello Everyone! This is my first time here and I can't wait to start chatting with everyone. I have done SOOO much research on Newfs and have had basically all of my questions answered except for one. What are the personality differences between a male and a female Newf? Here is my situation... I have a 3 year old and an 8 month old (kids ;)), 2 indoor cats and an indoor/outdoor 4 year old Female Golden Retriever. Does anyone think that one sex would be better than the other at handling all of this? Is one more dominant than the other and things like that? I have first pick of the litter, but I do need to tell him soon if I would prefer a little boy or little girl puppy. I am aware of the physical differences and I don't really have a preference on that. I just want a good dog that can handle my family and handle all the love that it will be getting. Thanks!

Kerrie

Offline LibbyP

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Getting a Newfoundland.. Male or Female?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 12:24:03 pm »
Welcome Kerrie, Glad you found BPO, there are alot of awesome members that can offer tons of advice and support when needed. I think alot depends on the temperment of your Golden. I am sure others will be able to offer more help, I just wanted to say HI  :) ~ I'm Kim mom to Libby(EM) my large foot warmer, a crazy Siamese(Max) and 2 skin kids(4.5 and almost 4) Good luck we like pics...lots of baby pics  :)
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ~ Will Rogers

mama to ~Libby 6.5yr E.Mastiff
         Stormy 2yr Boston Terrier
         RIP my sweet 'old man' Hoover (1993-2007)

Offline JuneBug Army

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 12:29:43 pm »
My Golden is great! I have never seen her not like another animal. She likes our cats, she likes our kids, she even likes my moms tiny yorkie! So I know she will like our new dog... that's not a problem.

kerrie

Offline shine

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 02:01:26 am »
I generally prefer male dogs.  In my experience, they are alot like human males.....more laid back, more oblivious, and therefore easier to train. LOL!! 

This is just my opinion, not a rule, of course.  It's possible for any dog of any gender to be laid back or a ball of neurosis.  There are puppy temperament tests you can do to get a general idea of personality.  I would recomment that.

I think the most important thing to keep in mind is that a puppy is a PUPPY.  Newfoundlands are known for being gentle, laid back dogs....but breed characteristic s generally don't kick in until about age 2.  Until then your Newf can be just as crazy as a Jack Russell or a Dalmatian...bu t much bigger!  Alot of people don't realize that and become overwhelmed by having a 100+ pound spaz in their home.  It's great that you have done your research, so you have a better idea of what to expect!  IMO, no one should be allowed to adopt a giant breed dog without doing so! 
Sharing my life and love with
Bodhi - Newfoundland
Rio - Loyal Lab/Beagle Mix
Zildjian - Dalmatian
Dolly - Weird Hound Mix
Stubby - Weird Corgi Mix
Ribbit - Grumpy Cocker Mix
House Cats - Bump, Delilah, Stashe, Mischa, Moose
Barn Cats - Archie, Betty, Midge
The Pigs - Ginger & Marianne

Offline ani74

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 03:03:33 am »
Hi Melissa,

I urge you to visit www.newf.net  You'll find a wealth of information there from experienced newf owners.

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 03:54:31 am »
What Melissa said.. the female dogs I have known have been "softer" than the males, but more spunky also.  The males seem to be more independent, where the females seem to like contact (touchy-feely dogs).  The female in my very limited experience may seem overly gushy sweet, but I think they'd be the first one to rip the throat out of someone trying to break into your house, where our male would probably stand back and woof.

This is just my thought, but I think males make a better only dog, in a one-dog family and females do better when they have another dog friend.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 03:56:39 am by brandon »
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

DenverFurKiddos

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 07:17:18 am »
Hi! Welcome to BPO! 

I have a golden retriever (Champ)and a Newfie (Winston).  They're both boys and they LOVE each other.  Just wanted to throw it out there....my are SUPER affectionate.  They crave attention and love to snuggle...In fact, I kinda wish they WERE a little more independent!  Obviously, the gender stereotypes probably mostly hold true, but they needn't apply to my boys! 

Good luck...I don't think you can go wrong!!! 

Offline JuneBug Army

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2007, 07:41:14 am »
Thanks everyone! I think we are leaning towards a male, but if I get there and fall in love with a little girl I am sure that I will end up taking her home. I am a tad bit nervous... I think it is okay to be a little nervous of the unknown... I have never had a dog this size. I also live in a very small house and am hoping the little guy ;) doesn't mind being in here with us all. My house is tiny, but I live on a 60 acre farm with lots of ponds and lots of running room. I have about an acre of it fenced in so that the dogs can't get out and we also go on walks every day to let everyone unwind. I just want everyone to be happy... my family and of course the dog.

I am driving up to see the breeders this weekend and make sure that they are legit and to meet the puppies mommy and daddy. I am going to take my oldest daughter (3 years old) to meet the mommy and make sure she understands that the puppy will be that big someday. They said they don't do contracts, but they are purebred and can be AKC registered and everything, but I just didn't know if it was normal to not do contracts...?

Kerrie

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 08:11:11 am »
I'd recommend getting a male. Our two females (newf and an aussie) don't get  along at all so unless your golden is submissive I'd say get the male. You should probably try to get a contract to protect both you and the breeder and check the health certifications just to be safe. Good luck newfy puppy fluff is definitely irresistable.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline ptkennel

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Prairie Trail Kennel
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2007, 01:02:27 am »
Male or Female......If you are buying from a good breeder, and have explained everything to them...they should be able to pick the right puppy for you. I have seen people mad at a breeder because they didn't get their pick of the litter, only to phone the breeder a few months later to tell them that the puppy they got was perfect for them.

We have bought puppies both with and without contracts. All puppies were registered with the CKC. Joy, our newfie, was bought without a contract. We trusted the breeder. We did get to see 3 generations back, in person....incl uding a 12 year old. This breeder was a wealth of info....we also had to go get interviewed to see if "WE" were right for the puppy...We are now very good friends with her and wouldn't change a thing.
Joy, Newfoundland
Gabi, Newfoundland
Amy, Irish Wolfhound
Sara, Irish Wolfhound
Gintaro, Irish Wolfhound (from Poland)
Desa, our Borzoi
4 Irish Wolfhound puppies, Saturn, Gemini, Delta and Mercury
www.prairietra ilkennel.com

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2007, 05:50:12 am »
I'd go first for healthy. 

The dog needs a contract that states the pup has passed Vet. checks for sub-aortic stenosis and cystinurua, at the very least.  The day after you bring the pup home, have an appointment at your Vet. to get the joints tested, like for patella slippage and hip problems.  The contract needs to state that you have a grace period for the Vet. check and that if it fails your Vet's inspection, the dog can be exchanged.

I'd run from any breeder that doesn't have a health contract.

Newfs rock; we love our Cody Newfoundland, even if he can't tell the difference between a child and a pillow.
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2007, 07:55:54 am »
Either way Newfs are the best! IMO though, boys are always loyal to their momma so that is my vote.  ;)
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Norri

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2007, 01:45:42 am »
Hi Kerrie!  I don't have any advice for you about Newfs, but I wanted to welcome you, and say I'm looking forward to seeing your new Newfie pup. 
Norri
mom to three teenage boys (the human kind) and Stanley,our fawn Great Dane puppy

Offline pitas

• Paw-meister
  • Mom! Let us out, please!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2007, 02:27:43 am »
Hi Kerrie,

Welcome aboard to BPO.  You will find lots of wonderful people on this board with beautiful looking big paws!  The folks here are very knowledgeable, helpful and lots of fun too.  Our family owns 4 Newfies, 3 Landseers and 1 all black.  When we had our 1st 2 big pups, littermates, 1 male, 1 female, we still had our Golden (female).  They were crazy pups of course and checked her out a few times, tried to get her to play with them and they grew to be best friends.  Our golden was about 10 at the time we got the 1st Newfies, so she was slowing down a bit but, they all got along great.  I would say I think their personalities are similar in that they both breeds love to be with their people, very family oriented and love to play!

Good luck! Post your pics of your pup when you can!

Anita & the 4 Newfies from NJ

Offline amylynn

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2007, 11:46:26 am »
Congratulation s on choosing a great breed for your family! :) Whether you choose a male, or female, you'll have to post lots of pictures of your new baby. :)
I LOVE Newfies!!! :) They are great!

I wish you the best with your visit to the breeder.
Blessings!
Amy Lynn
Blessings! :)
Amy Lynn