Author Topic: Skinny old Dane needs to gain some weight  (Read 6317 times)

Offline Lucysdad

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Skinny old Dane needs to gain some weight
« on: July 27, 2005, 01:51:26 am »
Lucy's 12, got her at 2 1/2. Most of her life she's weighed in at about 115 (she's a petite Great Dane). Most of this time she would only eat one kibble (people food and treats are always welcome) and the food dish could be left full all the time and she never over ate. A few years ago she started getting fussier about her food, easily bored, had to change kibble or add scrambled eggs or steamed rice to get her interest.

Then a few months ago we went through bloat. After surgery it was bland food, soft food mixed with steamed rice. Then came the horrible diareaha, and the switch to low residue cans and kibble. It's been a struggle to get her up to 80lbs, and any somache upset send her back towards 75.

She's got very good vets, but they haven't offered much advice on getting her filled back in a bit. And we've gone through 2 bags of Eukanuba low residue and I'm afraid she's going to lose interest in it soon.

Anybody have some ideas? How do I get the big girl in touch with her inner labradour?
Lucy's Dad (Gene)

Outside a Dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside a Dog it's too dark to read. -- Groucho Marx

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
Re: Skinny old Dane needs to gain some weight
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 06:10:16 am »
Are you using digestive enzymes on her? You can find this at your local health food store, and they help many dogs process their food better.

Another traditional herb used to soothe the digestive tract is Slippery Elm powder. This is a very mild herb, impossible to overdose it really, you can use it for flour in baking, etc. It has a nice nutty sort of scent, and dogs usually like it.

If the old gal likes eggs, those are a good source of fat and protein for most dogs. Soft scrambled or sunny side up. Other mild things you could give her IF she can tolerate it, include canned fish (salmon, mackerel), lightly browned ground turkey or beef (make sure any ground meat is fresh. Make a big patty out of it, and sear both sides so that it's warm through the middle, but don't cook it well done, leave the inside red....)

Best of luck with her, a 12 YO dane is something to brag about.

:D
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 08:15:09 am »
Poor lucy...

I know that many people feed their dogs 'satin balls' to gain weight. I am not sure if any of the ingredients would upset your dog's tummy, but here is a link to a recipe. Other than that I would just try adding foods that you know won't hurt her tummy to her kibble (rice, eggs, veggies, etc - whatever you have tried and found didn't make her sick)
RIP former BPO

Offline Jason

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 10:32:50 pm »
I used to have major problems getting Oreo to eat. Still do sometimes, but not as much as he has grown older. He's also been through the bloat and torsion surgery, the diahrea, the bland food diet, anemia, weight loss and all that goes with it. He went from 120 to 130 to 100 but now sits at a very comfortable 138.

Through all of this, the only times Oreo seemed excited to eat was when I was boiling chicken for him. I would boil chicken, boil rice (in the chicken stock) and cottage cheese. This is the only time I could get him to clean his bowl. After he dropped to 100 lbs, I feed him this combo 3 times a day until he was back up to his fighting weight.

FYI: I've had problems with Eukanuba being too rough for Oreo's stomach causing major diahrea. Not saying it is bad, but my vet told me some dogs have trouble digesting it. Your mileage may vary.

Jason

Offline Lucysdad

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2005, 10:23:52 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions, we'll be talking these over with the vet, checking against her diet and meds, and hopefully get her back up a few pounds. A little padding on the ribs would make for nicer brushing.

Thanks again, any more ideas keep 'em comming....... .............. ...........
Lucy's Dad (Gene)

Offline Lucysdad

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2005, 01:16:10 pm »
We've been supplementing with "Satin Balls" for a while now, all seems well. Watching for some weight gain, she has been a bit more restless at night, but no stomache trouble....... .... Thanks much, I'll keep you all up to date

I used the recipe from the link provided, some of the quanities are kinda vague, I winged it............ ...... Would be interested to know more about the proportions some of you have used.

Thanks again,

Gene
Lucy's Dad (Gene)

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2005, 03:42:19 pm »
We've been supplementing with "Satin Balls" for a while now, all seems well. Watching for some weight gain, she has been a bit more restless at night, but no stomache trouble....... .... Thanks much, I'll keep you all up to date

I used the recipe from the link provided, some of the quanities are kinda vague, I winged it............ ...... Would be interested to know more about the proportions some of you have used.

I am glad to know that they don't hurt her stomach. Hopefully with some time you will see some added pounds. It's funny you mention vauge quantities - a quick google search with turn up dozens of copies of the recipe, but they are all equally vague. I can tell you what I would use, but I haven't actually made the recipe myself since our goal is the opposite of yours - we our trying to keep our saint;s weight down.

Keep us updated on how lucy is doing.
RIP former BPO

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2005, 07:43:33 pm »
Here is a link to the satin balls....see if it helps with how much to add

http://www.njboxers.com/satin-balls-recipe.htm

timmie

Offline Lucysdad

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2005, 10:33:09 pm »
Here is a link to the satin balls....see if it helps with how much to add

http://www.njboxers.com/satin-balls-recipe.htm

timmie

Thanks much, thats about what we came up with filling in a few blanks in the recipe we used. Still wondering much much wheat germ is in a "jar"? Lucy and Mutt are both going crazy on this stuff......... ..... and so far everybodies tummy is happy too.

We may be making more soon.
Lucy's Dad (Gene)

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2005, 01:27:08 am »
lol - not sure about the jar.....big dogs need big jars of wheatgerm i guess...  I also found some other links for treats and stuff and one for meat patties...  let me know if you want the info.

I haven't tried the satin balls...  Willow is a good weight and my poms have have butts and can barely get through the dog door.
Timmie

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2005, 09:01:35 am »
wondering much much wheat germ is in a "jar"? Lucy and Mutt are both going crazy on this stuff......... ..... and so far everybodies tummy is happy too.

We may be making more soon.

I found an australian website with some 'dog fattening treat' recipes on it. Their recipe for satin balls just says 'a jar' on it, but in a recipe for 'fatten em up meatloaf', which is pretty similar, they say a 20 ounce jar of wheat germ. So I would guess that's how much you are supposed to use in the sating balls too.
RIP former BPO

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2005, 11:40:23 am »
I bet this was the same website I waundered on!!! 

Offline Mokeymunster

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2005, 12:08:12 pm »
I too used the satin balls to fatten up a pup.  I just winged it with the wheat germ.  I could only find bags.  I love this recipie.  My boxer gained a much needed 10 lbs in a week and a half.  WOW.  My vet wasn't to keen on this recipie because it isn't "nutrionally balanced" .  It is just a supplement, she was getting everything she needed from her normal diet.    Sorry to rant.  I am glad to hear that your dog is doing well with the recipie.