Author Topic: newf puppy very fussy eater  (Read 3029 times)

lookingfornewf

newf puppy very fussy eater
« on: November 14, 2007, 04:18:45 am »
I have only had Clifford for 2 weeks now. He is 11 weeks old. When I got him he was on Kirkland food. I really have to encourage him and just give him a bit at a time to get him to eat. I have tried putting stuff on it and he eats, but still not even 1 cup at a time. I bought some Canidae to try him on, it's no better. Wet or dry, mixed or separate it still takes forever to feed him. He's getting about 3 cups a day. Any ideas? Could something be wrong with him making him not as hungry as he should be? Otherwise he seems very healthy and has all the energy you would expect of a puppy.

lookingfornewf

Re: newf puppy very fussy eater
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 06:56:31 am »
Thanks for the input. He is eating, just not very much at a time and does better if he sees my Jack Russel eat first. I do try to feed him in 3 or 4 meals a day. I've only had him for 2 weeks but he is gaining weight and definately has energy, too much at times ;D. He just doesn't seem to want to eat even 1 cup of food at a time. I keep picking it up and putting it back down so my Jack Russel doesn't eat it and gain weight. She also does not need any more energy. She has enough for all of us.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 06:44:45 pm »
When we had one dog in the family we free fed.  With 3 we feed them by themselves twice a day, that works best for us.  With a puppy I like to free feed as long as they don't overeat.  That way I know that they are getting the right amount whether they are in a growth spurt or in between.  ;)

Clifford is outrageously adorable!  I just love the pic of his cute tummy.  ;D   :-*   :-*
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 02:31:19 am »
Oh my Goodness!  If he isn't the cutest freaking puppy I have seen in a long time!!!  I love him to pieces with his little shoe eating, and his belly showing floppyness!! 

I wouldn't worry too much about his eating habits, if his energy is good, and like everyone else said, his poops and skin are healthy then he probably just doesn't need to eat as much right now.  When Naja was at that age she was a bit of a light eater, then 2 or 3 weeks later she was like the garborator from h*ll!  lol.  Just wait for a good growth spurt and see how much food your going to go through.  His food intake will go up and down with his growth and energy levels.  It also sounds to me that he might be waiting for your Jack Russel to let him know it's okay to eat.  You said that he waits for her usually before he starts.  He could be just following the pack order of who eats first as well.   ;) ;D

BTW  if he goes missing, don't worry, I have just kidnapped him.   ;) :D
My Sponsership page for my very first race!