Author Topic: hi how to help a dog with a bad belly  (Read 10039 times)

Offline Prince of Mal

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
hi how to help a dog with a bad belly
« on: November 14, 2007, 09:06:24 am »
hi i was just woundering if there was any one that could help with the severe diarrohia he has got over the last 2 days. He has been making loads of noises and howling alot more, also becoming very lathargic.

Does anyone have any rememdies or ideas as to what it could be
Prince (9 months) Alaskan Malamute - My sled dog :)

Offline RMSChloe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: hi how to help a dog with a bad belly
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 09:17:34 am »
see a vet
Shes not a dog... shes a Great Dane!

Offline mountaindogmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Jack & Greta's Pics
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 10:57:57 am »
You also mentioned that he ate a whole bunch of carrot cake in addition to chewing up the shoe and tennis ball - that could easily cause a couple days of diarrhea but you probably want to take him to the vet to have him checked out since he's also lethargic.  He may need some meds to help him get back on his feet and you need to be very careful that he doesn't get dehydrated from the diarrhea.
Greta - Greater Swiss Mountain Dog (DOB 5-20-06)
Jack - Great Pyrenees (DOB 12-26-06)
& Three Kitties - Zoie, Bella & Nessie!

Offline Prince of Mal

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 11:24:52 am »
hi thank you all 

he is still eating ok, no sickness we was quite lucky as he did not eat any of the ball or laces just left them, he is still drinking lots of water, and he still wants to play. but will pop out tomorow and grab the bits and hope thay work. will all so give the vet a call and see what thay think, should we feed him in the morning or just wait and give him the hamburger meat and rice, we do take him for 2 one hour walks a day should we cut that down till he is a bit better thank you again for all your help

Offline Prince of Mal

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 05:07:57 pm »
My apologies for not posting sooner, took him to the vets, and found out he had a little stomach bug, it was nothing major although by the bill, it should have been life threatening lol.  He is much better now, and apart from his occasional want to eat something odd, the last being a Sky+ remote???, he  only seems to have a little diarroah when he travels.

We have figured out that giving him rice with biscuit and some  meat/gravy mix, has kept him very well, although i would like to hear from any of you that is not a wise decision to have made.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 05:09:34 pm by Prince of Mal »

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 05:34:56 pm »
canned pumpkin worked wonders when Titan had diarreah.  Pumpkin is great, it helps them solidify and helps get rid of constipation too..it is the wonder drug of our house! nOT PUMPKIN PIE MIX....just plain pumpkin with some oatmeal, bannanas, and boiled potatos (never green ones theough)  The vet gave titan flagyl (metronitozole) and that did nothing for him....try the pumpkin it works wondering in only one feeding

Offline peytons mama

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 02:30:39 am »
I give him a large spoonful of canned pumpkin.  Just plain pumpkin, no spices.  That usually does the trick. 
[/quote]

a side note... we (me and peyton) were cooking some pumpkin pies over thanksgiving and she got a hold of the can that the pumpkin comes in and she fell in love! i noticed that when i opened another can she got all excited and i even started scraping some and eating it myself! so, when i see that pumpkin is on sale next year...i think i might have to get me and peyton a little treat!
Your house isn't a home until you have made a bed for a dog.

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 09:31:29 pm »
I use powdered slippery elm bark to help with loose poops.  It is sold in health food stores and is reasonsble cheap.  Bo gets the poops all the time and this works better (and faster) than pumpkin when a stronger intervention is necessary.  She has IBD, so it helps to sooth the intestines by creating more mucus (I think).  Also, marshmallow (the plant, not the dessert) also works well for indigestion.  It's also available at the health food store.
Jenn
"Be the change you wish to see in the world"-Gandhi