Author Topic: Exuberant Chewer  (Read 3954 times)

Offline Mallory's Mommy

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Exuberant Chewer
« on: November 15, 2007, 11:56:26 am »
So, Mallory is the most well behaved, smartest puppy I’ve honestly ever came across and I’m not just saying that because she’s mine. That being said, Mallory in all her puppy fabulousness has developed a vice, so I came here for suggestions. ;D

A few weeks ago her breeder told me that she really didn’t have a favorite toy, that she liked chewing on her littermates. That should have been my first indication that she was a chewer. She has plenty of hard and plush toys and she could spend hours chewing on her teddy bear and ladybug. I praise her for playing with those and she understands that those are the only things she should chew in the house.

The issue is she now thinks it’s alright to chew on our hands, feet, and pant legs, and no matter how many times I scold her, or redirect her to her toys she doesn’t seem to get the point. Is this a puppy phase? Any ideas on how to discipline her when she does this?

I’ve tried redirecting her and changing my tone of voice with her, but she seems to be ignoring both. She is being enrolled in puppy kindergarten soon, but I’m trying to set some ground rules now. I don’t want her to grow up thinking it’s alright to use her mouth to play!
Mary, mommy to Mallory, the Saint Bernard pup

Lyn

Re: Exuberant Chewer
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 12:19:01 pm »
Bubba was also a chewer at Mallory's age. He used to grab my arm and try to play tug with it. Talk about owwie! He also ripped quite a few pairs of my jeans. Most of the time I could redirect him to a toy or bone but if that didn't work my trusty squirt bottle did. ;) I just put plain water in it but it got to the point where all I had to do was show him the bottle and he'd stop. LOL
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 12:20:08 pm by Lyn »

Offline Mallory's Mommy

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: Exuberant Chewer
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 01:43:58 am »
Thanks for the empathy and suggestions! ;D I feel better now; I thought maybe I was doing something wrong that was encouraging her to do this, but it sounds like it's just a phase we're going through.

She played for an hour outside this morning, so she's currently too tuckered out to bite anything. As far as having your lip pierced goes, I've asked her to give me kisses on occassion and the jaws of death come straight for my chin.  :D I've said "no bite, kisses" and she seems to be getting the point now.

We're off to Petsmart today to get a new (chewable and washable) bed (and probably some more toys I can't afford).
Mary, mommy to Mallory, the Saint Bernard pup