Author Topic: Questions about Samoyeds???  (Read 42961 times)

Offline Breezy

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Questions about Samoyeds???
« on: December 08, 2007, 07:39:19 pm »
Thanks everyone for filling me in with the information of the hypo-allergenic dogs.

Right now I have two smaller breeds.

A Shih Tzu and a Cross between A Shih Tzu and a Bichon Frize!

I am not allergic to either.

but i was wondering. if anyone could fill me in with some info on Samoyeds?? I'm not highly allergic to dogs. Just looking for somthing with minimal shedding. I heard these dogs shed their coats about twice a year. Is this true??

Offline Breezy

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about Samoyeds???
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 08:07:56 pm »
thank for the info!
would you suggest any dogs to me. im not highly allergic. but i'm still not big on shedding.

Offline Breezy

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 01:51:44 am »
Thanks. Ya I'm trying hard to find the right dog.

And I'm not liking the Labradoodle at all!

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 02:09:03 am »
ummm...my brother had 1 sammy for 14 years, and his new one he has had for about 2 years. There is ALWAYS hair floating around. and they brush him ALOT, and they vaccume the carpet ALOT. LOL
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 02:09:39 am by zchic »
-Jodi
Mom to:
Thorn- 8 year old fawn male dane
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup
Gracie- Merelequin (deaf) dane pup

1996-2007
Tisha...my best friend, I miss you girl.

Offline zchic

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Tisha's Barkin' Bodega
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 01:08:58 pm »
Someone in your other thread mentioned the Bouvier... I know nothing about the hair etc. but I have met a few and they were really neat dogs. :)
-Jodi
Mom to:
Thorn- 8 year old fawn male dane
Morgayne- Wolfhound pup
Gracie- Merelequin (deaf) dane pup

1996-2007
Tisha...my best friend, I miss you girl.

Offline ptkennel

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Prairie Trail Kennel
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 06:47:46 pm »
How about an Irish wolfhound, not too much shedding there.  We have two of them and they are minimal, and the hair doesn't fly around at all like the newfoundland or the samoyed.  It is dense and straight, mostly a non grooming dog for a pet, for show they require hand plucking the coat.
Joy, Newfoundland
Gabi, Newfoundland
Amy, Irish Wolfhound
Sara, Irish Wolfhound
Gintaro, Irish Wolfhound (from Poland)
Desa, our Borzoi
4 Irish Wolfhound puppies, Saturn, Gemini, Delta and Mercury
www.prairietra ilkennel.com

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 07:21:46 pm »
I can note 2 to stay away from that are pretty much like Sammys are Malamutes and Huskies. I eat hair, sleep with it, you name it the hair is on it. But I LOVE MY DOG and after having 2 when I moved out I got my own. I usually tell people if you like a very clean house a northern breed is not for you. No matter how much you vaccum or brush them they do shed daily. My friend had a Samoyd and he was the sweetest dog ever, but just like my malamutes, when he blew his coat, it was like cotton candy falling off him!

Offline ChevSams

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 06:17:30 pm »
It would be a good idea to also check the differences between an altered and intact animal.  Samoyeds that are altered shed more and have a different softer and lighter texture. 

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 07:04:37 pm »
Of my 4 dogs, my Tibetan Mastiff, sheds the least, except for the month or so he is blowing coat in the spring.  My pyr sheds like a mad thing.  You would think he should be bald by now.  My Caucasian has only been here for a few months and has been blowing coat the whole time, so I'm not sure about her.  My wolfhound does shed, but you never notice his fur.  Like was mentioned earlier, it is not long hair and it doesn't float around like the cottony undercoats do.  He requires the least brushing, is the easiest to bathe, since he doesn't have an undercoat that you have to get wet first and dries the fastest, after a bath, too. Basically a drip dry dog.  Easy to care for.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 11:09:32 pm »

For someone who wants dog that does not shed - there is only ONE choice: Poodle.

As everyone else has said, shedding is relative and a matter of tolerance (and health of the animal), but all other dog breeds shed and the Poodle is the only exception.

This whole mixing everything with a Poodle and labeling it "hypo-allergenic" is very funny and defies basic genetics.  Mix a Poodle with a highly shedding golden retriever or lab and that is what you get - part shedding golden retriever or lab. You no longer have Poodle hair and the sales pitch is bunk.  No one with these designer mixes has ever been able to explain to me how they separated DNA to ensure only the Poodle coat was selected for.....

With that said, some dogs shed less than others and that is a fruitful discussion.... ..and a valid consideration before selecting a breed.

SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar