Author Topic: Help! Its my first time!  (Read 14335 times)

Offline YayIgetaBIGdog!

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Help! Its my first time!
« on: July 27, 2005, 08:45:08 pm »
Hi.  I am very excited!  On Friday my husband I and I are getting a great dane.  We have limited experience with dogs.  We had an adorable 10lb ball of fluff.  My husband was scared of dogs, so we started small.  My little guy had to be put down after we had him for 1 year.  My husband is now feeling brave enough for a big dog (which I have always wanted).  So.  We are getting this great dane.  We are ready to love him lots, but aside from that is there any advice you could share with me?  I don't even know what advice to ask for specifically.   ::)
Thank you!

GYPSY JAZMINE

Re: Help! Its my first time!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 08:49:22 pm »
I got my Samson when he was 14 weeks old & all but unsocialized.. .He was my 1st dog & we have done wonderfully!...I think my best advise to offer is to socialize...so cialize...soci alize!!!!...Get the pupper out around people & new things...Makes for a calmer, better behaved dog...Also, crate train...We had minimal accidents in the house & we crate trained sammy...It not only kept him safe when I couldn't be with him but it makes housebreaking a breeze!...He doesn't have his crate anymore but, when we needed it, it was a God send!

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 08:53:36 pm »
Welcome, my best advise is to ask any and all questions you come up with on this board.  There are so many great people here all day and night there will be someone to help out with most any issue.  Make sure to take him to the vet for a check over as soon as you get him.  Have lots and lots of toys for him to chew on. 

Lisa

Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Icerotti

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 08:54:00 pm »
Welcome.
Gypsy said it best!! Enjoy your new furbaby. Don;t forget we will want to see pictures :)

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005, 08:57:11 pm »
If you will research my posts you will find a lot of puppy training info.

Here is a good link to get you started. 

:D

http://www.animalforum.com/dpuppy101.htm
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline YayIgetaBIGdog!

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2005, 09:16:11 pm »
Thanks to everyone for your encouragement.  I don't think we will be getting a puppy.  We are going to a rescue so I am not sure what they will have available.  There are a lot of opportunities to socialize here in San Diego, so that won't be a problem. 
If I get a dog that is over the puppy stage do you still think it is a good idea to crate train?
I will post pictures as soon as I can.

Offline Jason

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2005, 10:13:39 pm »
Congrats on your new Dane. My Oreo is a rescue Dane and I think it is a great idea to go that route. I will caution you to take your time. I assume you have done some research on Great Danes to realize they fit your lifestyle.  Don't be in a rush to just chose a pooch and go. Take some time with the rescue place to observe, choose, and bond a bit with a dog before you take him/her home. Get a feel for the personality of your pooch and picture them in your life. I met a few dogs the first visit, bonded with Oreo on the second visit, and brought him home on the third visit.
Also, you mentioned crate training. Oreo had to relearn house manners when I adopted him so crate training was a necessity. Crate training a 130lb. dog is not for the timid or impatient. Be very patient and understanding. Messes will be made, clean-up is not fun, but soon your new pooch will learn the lesson. Once Oreo learned the rules, he received full rein of the house and the crate was no longer necessary.
Sorry if all this is rudimentary, but having a Great Dane is a big responsibility and since you said you have limited experience with dogs, I felt like a little warning was necessary.

Oh.... and make sure you have buckets of cash lying around for "emergencies". These range from medical expenses to replacing furniture and rugs. ;)

Check out this book: "For the Life of your Dog" by Greg Louganis and Betsy Sikora Siino. It deals with adopting a dog with a strong emphassis on Great Danes.

Jason

Offline Lucysdad

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2005, 10:23:20 pm »
An adult rescue is an excellent option. I got Lucy at 2 1/2, she's 12 now and it's been great so far.

My thoughts, on a long healthy relationship.. .............. ......lots of exercise, top quality food - read lables carefully, and be very picky when you screen your vet. Do your homework, know what danes are prone to and apply the knowledge when you seek treatment for your dane. Example, weak hearts can be a common problem for Danes, if the vet recomends a medication that will stress the heart, be direct in you questions and maybe seek another opinion. I strongly believe Danes can have a long life with good care, and I've known a bunch of danes since I got Lucy that seem to prove that out.

On behavior (human and Canine), I'm afraid Lucy has been very bad. She is way too tolerant of peoples bad habits and I fear for some of the folks who've approached Lucy improperly, got away with it and will one day get schooled by a dog less accepting of human foibles. Somebodies gonna get bit, and it will be thier own damn fault, and they won't have a clue. Danes can be real marshmellows, be prepared to tell people when they're being idiots, it is for their safety and the dogs they meet in the future. Some states are pretty harsh about dog bites, and sometimes it's the persons own fault.

Last observation, Be prepared to be a public specticle. I'm not kidding, taking Lucy out to a public place is like walking down the street with a naked super model. Your Dane won't be much different. Answering the same script of questions can get tedious, never getting a moments peace at the beach gets old. Lucy is quite comfortable as a good will ambassador to all, you'll get to work that one out with your new friend for yourself.

Good Luck, try to love your new friend as much as he or she will love you, you can't but try any way

Gene

Lucy's Dad (Gene)

Outside a Dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside a Dog it's too dark to read. -- Groucho Marx

Offline Jason

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2005, 10:42:28 pm »
Good points Gene. I second the motion.

Jason

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2005, 11:16:27 pm »
Jason and Gene...... I really liked both of your posts, lots of research and more research. I agree with you Gene, that danes can live to be old, I dont have any danes now but the ones I have had all lived to be old.

I think rescue is a great way to go. it is hard to even know where to start in giving advice. There is so much you could talk about, but I would say take your time, usually you can feel when the right dog is there, and if you dont feel that, wait until you do. You have lots of good posts on this board, read them and books. Talk to breeders, maybe go to a show, just to see many of them and try and get to talk to as many dogs and owners as possible, that will give you an idea about what different people think and the different issues, different people have.

Then every question you come to think about, just ask and I an sure someone here can help.

Good luck and dont forget to post lots of pics

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline YayIgetaBIGdog!

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2005, 03:03:10 pm »
 ;D The time to get my dog is approaching!  I am spending the day trying to get my place ready.  I am adopting through Gentle Giants Rescue.  I have heard good things about them.  They really seem to love all the dogs they have and want to make sure their dogs go to good homes, which makes me hopefull that all will go well. 
Does anyone have any advice regarding types of crates? I know that generally there a two types, the wire crates and friberglass crates.  I know there are pros and cons to each.  I just don't know which would be best.  I am thikning the crate will mostly be used for sleeping at night and as a place for the dog to go when he/she wants some peace and quiet.  I don't know yet whether the dog will go in the crate when we have to leave the dog home.  Any advice on that would be appreciated as well. 
YAY! I am excited.  I little scared too, but mostly excited!

GR8DAME

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2005, 03:19:59 pm »
Hi and welcome to BPO. I have a 4 year old dane, a 8 month old dane/irish wolfhound and a 9 year old doberman.
On crates, I use the wire because I like the fact that the dog can see better, and when I want them to feel like they are denning I throw a blanket over the top. I also like the additional air flow, keeps them cooler. If you do get a dane, remember to watch your crate size, you will probably need to get the largest one made. If you start out with a pup, you can block an area off until he grows into it, and he will!
By the way, siblings of my dane/wolfhound pup went to gentle giants in late January...wond er if they are still there?
Stella

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2005, 09:27:54 pm »
I would have to agree with Tina to be VERY careful with GG.  I know of people who've gotten great dogs from them, but I also know of people who've gotten sick dogs that wre portrayed as healthy, and aggressive dogs that were played off as well tempered, with no help from the rescue afterwards.  A Dane is nothing to rush into so take your time.  Don't sign up with someone just because they'll give you a dog right away or because you saw them on TV and they looked good there.  Research research RESEARCH!!!!!!!!!!

Ang

BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline YayIgetaBIGdog!

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2005, 10:20:59 pm »
Hmm.   ???
I know about the food requirement.  They make that clear on their website.  The price seems reasonable based on what I have seen.  In addition it seems to be healthy, with no by-products.
I am a little concerned about the lack up help for people who have adopted from them.  One of the reasons I wanted to adopt from them was their offer of support for the life of the dog. 
Well... we have an appointment for tomorrow.  We'll see how it goes. 
Thank you for the heads up and additional information.

Offline YayIgetaBIGdog!

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2005, 11:38:32 pm »
I have just done some research (guess i should have before :-X).  Gentle Giants have a horrible reputation and it appears there is legal action happening to try to shut them down.  It is all online, so I am planning to the Norco Animal Shelter and maybe the City Council office to try to find out what is happening for sure. 
Thanks for the heads up.  I will post on this thread what I find out tomorrow. 
Wish me luck.