Author Topic: Don't mean to brag but, our Newfies did a wonderful thing tonight  (Read 7880 times)

Offline pitas

• Paw-meister
  • Mom! Let us out, please!
    • View Profile
Hello Everyone,

I hope this note finds all of you doing well and feeling great during this very, hectic time of year.  I wanted to share a wonderful story that involved our 4 wonderful Newfies in helping alert me that my diabetic brother was going into a seizure. 

My brother is a Type I diabetic and has had diabetes since he was a child.  Tonight he was here and his sugar had dropped very low and he was going into a seizure when Klondike started barking very loudly in his hurry up and pay attention bark!  This of course alerted the 3 other pups and they all came running to where my brother was to alert me to the problem.  Thank goodness for all of them because this kind of sound before one goes into a seizure can be very frightening and they were right on it in rescue mode. 

I was thankfully able to get enough cake icing & OJ into my brother to avoid the full blown seizure and he is feeling much better. 

We are simply amazed and blessed by having these 4 wonderful dogs.  This is something not taught of course, it is just in their nature to be on the alert to protect their people. We had experienced this once before when Maddie & Klondike were pups when we were out swimming in the bay and they didn't like how far out we were swimming.  They came out to circle us and make sure we headed back in toward land.  They are constantly on watch in a casual way, especially near the pool when the young kids are over and swimming.

I am still in total disbelief in a way to witness how these great pups, sprang into action without hesitation or any training.  It is so neat how dog's instincts just take over and they now how to get the job done.  Needless to say, our 4 pups, who mind you aren't spoiled at all yet, (HA, HA, sure) are getting extra presents from Santa and got a few extra treats tonight after everything settled down. 

Anita & the 4 WONDERFUL Rescue Newfs from NJ   

Offline Tspanos

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Tim
    • View Profile
Re: Don't mean to brag but, our Newfies did a wonderful thing tonight
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 01:46:13 am »
Absolutely awesome!!!!!! Good to hear everything went as well as it could.

I think your brother as another gift to buy........ Klondike.

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 01:50:52 am »
Way to go guys!  Isn't it just amazing the things that they do to remind us of how great they are!  It's nice to know that should wou ever be in need, they will be there for you.   :D
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline seaherons

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 10:41:11 am »
What good dogs!!!!  It is amazing and quite interesting that the dogs would respond to your brother that way without any training.  Possibly there is s smell associated with a seizure that the dogs could detect.  Maybe your brother would be interested a seizure alert service dog??? 

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 10:55:33 am »
Oh you definatly should brag about that one!! Dogs are amazing creatures and the fact that they are able to alert someone when trouble arises is amazing and a blessing! Im sure all the pups got extra lovin! make sure to give them a "high paw" from Fumble!
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 12:16:26 pm »
Definitely brag-worthy! That is amazing. I'm glad your brother is ok. Your dogs deserve a lot of respect and of course, extra treats!
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 01:51:05 pm »
Your dogs rock!  That is incredible that they would pick up on it and react.  Congratulation s on having some very alert pups.  You are indeed blessed.  Glad to hear your brother is fine.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 02:02:57 pm »
Brag away!  You have the right!  I am always amazed when I hear about something like this that dogs have that sixth sense and can prevent a situation from becoming very bad or even from it happening at all.

Kudos to your wonderful Newfies and give them hugs, kisses and congrats from me and Sierra
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 10:11:47 pm »
Anita, first of all your pups have always amazed me with how beautiful they are and after receiving the Christmas Card it is obvious that they are well behaved, now this- kudos not only to the pups but to you. Hugs and kisses to the 4 Newfies.
Paige

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 10:49:56 pm »
Brag all you want! Heck! I'm gonna brag for you!! What a wonderful story. I'm so glad you shared it with us.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2007, 12:25:28 am »
I'm so glad that your brother is okay.  Your pups are amazing.  Not only beauty and brains but also super hero powers.  Definitely very brag worthy.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience