Author Topic: Neutering  (Read 17448 times)

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
Neutering
« on: December 15, 2007, 12:36:23 pm »
I was just wondering how much everyone paid for your spay or neuter (approximately). I'm just trying to get an idea as to what the range in price could be. I've noticed it changing alot from place to place. Rural areas are usually much cheaper than the city. It also changes from east coast to west coast.Since this is a pretty standard procedure, I thought it would be interesting to see. Heck! I might even do a poll if i figure it out!
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline Tazz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Neutering
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 02:27:47 pm »
I paid 50.00 each for my older two when they were done a few years ago. Now the office is charging 75.00 per pet.

Upstate NY

lorim2

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 05:40:38 pm »
We had Marley done last xmas and I thought they were gonna have to put the paddles on me when they told me the price...They charged me 450.00...Said because of his size and all...Plus they keep them overnight...I thought that price was totally ridiculous!!  Especially since his cahones swelled to the size of a basketball like 2 days later!!  haha

Offline Edwpang

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 06:25:54 pm »
Butter was neutered this summer. The fee break down was:
Pre-op Profile(CBC,GLU,ALT,BUN,...) 49.90
Castration(Medium 10-20KG)         239.90
Ketoprofen 20mg tabs(x3)           22.75
GST(8%)                            24.93

Total                              CAD$336.58

The receipt listed the anesthetic and something else but were all 0s, probably included in the Castration.

Offline mountaindogmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Jack & Greta's Pics
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 12:57:58 pm »
I think Jack was around $250 for his neuter and Greta was close to $500 for her spay with gastropexy (stomach tacking).
Greta - Greater Swiss Mountain Dog (DOB 5-20-06)
Jack - Great Pyrenees (DOB 12-26-06)
& Three Kitties - Zoie, Bella & Nessie!

Offline Ouch

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Sadie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 01:13:42 pm »
Sadie was spayed last July and the total was $465 but I know a little part of that was having her teeth cleaned.  I can't find the statement to get the breakdown.
Copper, 12 yr old American Cocker
Emmitt, 7 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Sadie, 2 yr old Newfie
OnryHenry, 17 yr old King Feline of KY

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 01:13:05 pm »
I have the quote on the fridge so I can't give a breakdown of what all the costs are, but my Vets office want $674.00 to do Naja, it'll be more then that when I do get her done because she'll be in a different weight class by then.  But that price includes Gastropexy, Spay for a dog up to 80lbs, X-Rays of her hind end, Dew Claw removal, then the stuff like IV, bloodwork, aenestetic (sp?), and some other stuff that I can't remember right now.

I got another quote for just the spay from a clinic in town that only does spay/neuters and they only wanted $125, but that's for the spay only, not the Gastropexy, or the dew claw removal, or the X-Rays or anything extra.
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 01:15:20 pm »
Dew Claw removal

Why are you removing her dew claws anyways?  ???
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

marypyrs

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 01:24:11 pm »
Dew Claw removal

Why ARE you removing her dews?  :-\ Don't let them talk you into that!

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 01:42:15 pm »
Wow. :o It's so crazy how the price can range so much. Of course it is always a little more for a spay than a neuter, but it's interesting to see the differences. When I asked how much it would be for Miles, they said it would be about 265 if he stayed under 59 pounds (which of course didn't happen! hahaha) Now, I'm interested to see what price category he is in! That is without pre-op bloodwork too (which he absolutely needs to have since he had the blood transfusion and all).

Regarding the dews, 3 out of 4 vets I've been to have recommended removal of dew claws. Yeah, they COULD get caught on things if you don't keep them trimmed and they are a crazy hyper dog, but I'd rather take my chances as that is a major surgery. Miles will be keeping his double dews!! Plus, they are just so cute and part of what makes the breed unique!
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 01:50:14 pm »
Dew Claw removal

Whoops, I had just started another post regarding this but I accidently closed the page before I could post it.  The vet wants me to remove them because they are loose.  They are single dews, and this is not breed standard, although I'm not sure she knows that much about Great Pyrs, she does have a point about them being loose.  There is no bone connecting the hind dews to the rest of her foot, just skin, I mean they don't flop around on their own, but you can manually manipulate them and feel that there's no connecter bone.  I like her dews though, I think that they are what seperate her from all these "White Retrievers" that so many knowledgable random people who know nothing about Pyrs seem to say they are certain she is.  I am pretty good at keeping the nails trimmed every week, and I'd like to keep them, but if it's in the best interest of my dog, I'm gonna do whatever I can to make sure she doesn't get hurt, or need some sort of emergency surgery, should she accidenly rip one of them off.  They don't bother her though.  What do you guys think I should do about it?
 ???
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 01:50:51 pm by London_Pyr_Lover »

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 04:43:24 pm »
Dew Claw removal

Whoops, I had just started another post regarding this but I accidently closed the page before I could post it.  The vet wants me to remove them because they are loose.  They are single dews, and this is not breed standard, although I'm not sure she knows that much about Great Pyrs, she does have a point about them being loose.  There is no bone connecting the hind dews to the rest of her foot, just skin, I mean they don't flop around on their own, but you can manually manipulate them and feel that there's no connecter bone.  I like her dews though, I think that they are what seperate her from all these "White Retrievers" that so many knowledgable random people who know nothing about Pyrs seem to say they are certain she is.  I am pretty good at keeping the nails trimmed every week, and I'd like to keep them, but if it's in the best interest of my dog, I'm gonna do whatever I can to make sure she doesn't get hurt, or need some sort of emergency surgery, should she accidenly rip one of them off.  They don't bother her though.  What do you guys think I should do about it?
 ???

Do other puppies from her litter had single dew claws as well?

"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2007, 05:38:31 pm »
Dew Claw removal

???

Do other puppies from her litter had single dew claws as well?

I'm not too sure, Naja was the last puppy of the litter, I didn't think to ask at the time.  I didn't think of it to be a big deal 'cause I wasn't planning on showing her.  I know that she comes from working lines though.  :)

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2007, 01:31:22 am »
The dews are part of the breed standard. Don't remove them. I believe if they were that much of a problem they would never have been put into the standard and they would be removed at birth. Many vets want to remove them because they think they can rip them off and such. But if a vet knew anything about the breed they would know that they are used for balance and climbing on rocks when they are guarding in the mountains. So I don't think it is a procedure that is necessary.

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2007, 11:18:06 am »
All double dews can be easliy manipulated. My three at least. I'm going to do some research on this becasue now I'm curious if there is bone there or not. I don't think there is a bone connecting them to the rest of the leg. Cartalage maybe but bone?