Author Topic: Help something is wrong with Spike!!!!!  (Read 10205 times)

Offline SPIKESMOMMY

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Help something is wrong with Spike!!!!!
« on: July 28, 2005, 07:09:59 am »
Spike has been gagging since last night like he is trying to throw up and nothing comes out and he is laying around and is moving really slow and there is snot coming out his nose I do not think he ate anything strange last night but he did eat alot of his food last night. Everyone keeps telling me he just ate to much food last night. He is going to potty #1 and #2. I am going to take him to the vet when I get home from work today. But does anyone think it just might have been eating to much food? Please help I am very worried!
Rachael and Spike

Icerotti

Re: Help something is wrong with Spike!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 07:16:31 am »
It sounds like he may have something lodged in his throat. I would take him to the vet as soon as you can. He is obviously getting air but if something is stuck , you would not want it to move and possible allowing less air supply.
Please let us know what happens. Good Luck

Offline SPIKESMOMMY

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 07:19:14 am »
Thanks that is kind of what I was thinking to. I am going to take him as soon as I get home. I am going to try to leave early today.
I will let you know as soon as I can.
Thank you again!
Rachael and Spike

Offline SPIKESMOMMY

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 07:23:29 am »
He  is a 61/2 mth great dane.
I will try to leave soon I hope I can. See I ride with someone else and  the commute is 1 1/2 hour long drive. Iknew I should have stayed home I am so STUPID. I am in tears I am so worried. Please send good thoughts to my baby!
Rachael and Spike

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2005, 07:28:12 am »
We are thinking of Spike, I hope he is ok now. Is there anyone close by that could take him to the vet for you?
Good Luck,
Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline SPIKESMOMMY

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2005, 07:29:41 am »
No everyone is at work. I feel like everyone here at work is looking at me like I am strange cause he is just a dog but noone understands.

Icerotti

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2005, 07:50:20 am »
What if you called your vet and explained what is going on with Spike. They may be able to put your mind at ease or make a suggestion about what to do next.
Michelle.

Offline SPIKESMOMMY

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2005, 08:08:46 am »
I did call and they said bring him in did not sound urgent or anything. I can’t leave my ride wont leave and I called my boyfriend and he must have left his phone in the work van and I cannot get a hold of my sister. And my mom is who I ride to work with and my grandmom does not drive. I do not know what to do!
Do you think he would be okay at least till I get home? God I hope so.
I cannot wait till my car gets out of the shop cause this would not be a problem I would just leave and if I got fired so be it but I cannot force her to leave.
Rachael and Spike

Icerotti

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2005, 08:14:54 am »
If the vet did not sound too concerned I would not worry. He should be fine.  Could your grandmom take a taxi to your house?

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2005, 08:18:26 am »
Poor Spike. Please send him our prayers!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline SPIKESMOMMY

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2005, 08:22:15 am »
No She wouldn't cause she is terrified of Spike for one and she in all honesty could not handle him. I even tried my cousin that I cannot stand but she said she couldn't do it. So much for depending on your family huh!
So I guess I have to wait unless my mom changes her mind. God please let him be okay till then!!! I hope noone in this family ever needs my help for anything cause it will not be forthcoming. I know that might sound childish but that is how I feel right now. Spike might be just a dog to some people but he is my baby in all ways but that I did not give birth to him.
Rachael and Spike

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2005, 08:38:09 am »
This might sound like an oogy question, but do you have cats? Does spike like to "nose dive for the tootsie rolls?" My dog does this every time after I catch him sneaking mid-day snacks in the litter box. The clay litter clumps in there throat and they try to hack it up.

It could also be a hair ball - yes, dog's get them sometimes - especially now when they are shedding so much from the heat. (there is a similar post on here somewhere with a very graphic picture!).

If he has water to help wash things down, he should be fine 'til you get home. It freaked me out the first time my dog did this, too and I rushed him to the vet only to pay about $60.00 for her to tell me there is nothing wrong with him.

I think allergies might cause them to do this, too - like getting a tickle in your throat when your sinuses are draining (would explain the snotty nose, too). When my husband took our australian shepherd to Michigan on a business trip, Rocko was doing the same hacking thing the whole time he was there, but as soon as he got home he was fine. I figured he was allergic to Michigan.

Sending good vibes your way,
Jeanne
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2005, 08:43:03 am »
I could be kennel cough. When my boy had it he would gag and he had LOTS of snot coming out of his nose. Even if your pup has been vaccinated against KC he could still have it, vaccines aren't much good for that! If it is KC then you don't have too much to worry about, it is like the common cold in humans. I hope that your boy is okay, and that you find someway to get him to the vet soon!! Good luck!
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

Offline SPIKESMOMMY

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2005, 08:49:10 am »
I do have a cat but I don’t think he got in the litter box last night it is in the bathroom and I keep a baby gate at the bottom of the stairs to keep him from wandering. And I did not leave any water in his cage this morning cause my mom said she thought that might make him worse while I was not home to watch him I had a feeling I should have left him some in his cage. He has been biting on his tail a lot last night it was constantly wet he has nto broken skin or anything though. I hope it is nothing too and I am overreacting. But the gagging is not all the time it seems to be only when he gets up from laying down I forgot to add that in the first messege. 
Rachael and Spike

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2005, 08:51:58 am »
Yup! sounds like allergies - biting the tail, gagging when getting up from lying down. That's what my dogs do when the allergies crop up - either that or it's the litter box. The snotty nose sounds like allergies, though. I think he'll be fine 'til you get home - a little miserable, maybe, but not life-threatening.

Take a deep breath, wipe your eyes, get a Coke and some M&Ms. That's what always helps me calm down, anyway!

Jeanne
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain