Author Topic: Hi  (Read 6234 times)

Offline saintlykallismom

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Hi
« on: December 30, 2007, 02:44:17 am »
hello,

My name is Libby and I am new to the board but last month I rescued a saint puppy. She is currently 6 months old. I though it would be nice to join this message board so I could share my stories, pictures, questions and concerns. My wonderful puppy's name is Kalli, its short for Kalliope, I hate the name kalliope but fiance loves it so we compromised on abbrevating it. I do have one question/concern: We just weighed her and she weighs about 65lbs; I believe that this is light for a puppy her age. She was found on the streets digging through people's trash cans so she was mal- nourished when we got her.. she weighed 45lbs then. So anyways to my actual question we have had her for a 1.5 months and she gained 20lbs is that too much weight too fast and also since i believe she is underweight now from being malnourished will this stop her from reaching her the maximum weight she would have reached if she had been well fed as a younger pup? I would appreciate any feedback you have, thanks!!
Proud mama of:

Kalli- 6(?)month old saint bernard
Lexi- 6 mth old orange and white kitten
Franco- 5 yearold big black cat

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Hi
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 07:20:12 am »
Welcome to BPO Libby and Kalli!!! The weight chart I have says she should be around 79 lbs at 6 mths.Not to worry if she is a little under.I was always checking Tub's weight to the chart and some months he was over the average and some months under.I'm also going to guess that 6 mths is a guess at her age since she was found on the street,so that could vary it a little too.I can't help you with the growth questions.Than ks for taking Kalli in and giving her a loving home,I look forward to hearing more about her and seeing more pics of her. I'm Michelle Mom to Butt and Tub the Saints.
Michelle, Butt, Tub and Everybirdie

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 08:01:35 am »
Hi Libby, welcome!  I'm Marie, mom to three human kids & the furry people listed below.  ;D  I can't help you with the weight/growth questions b/c I don't have any experience with Saints, but do I love them.  I'm so glad that you adopted Kalli and I bet that she's really, really happy, too!  ;)  ;D
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 01:54:27 am »
Hello and welcome!  kallie is gorgeous!

I don't think her weight sounds too off, and gaining 20 lbs may be a bit quick but she's catching up so that as well doesn't sound too off.

Depending on how long she was malnourished she may end up being a bit stunted but from where she is now I don't think that will be an issue.

My name is Chris and my crew is listed below.

Offline saintlykallismom

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 02:02:55 am »
Thanks for responding. It was nice meeting all of you and hopefully I will get to know more about you and your wonderful children. Kalli is going to the vet next week so we will see for sure where she is with her weight and hopefully our vet will have some feedback for us. I will keep you up to date. Once again thanks for your help. This is a really neat place.
Proud mama of:

Kalli- 6(?)month old saint bernard
Lexi- 6 mth old orange and white kitten
Franco- 5 yearold big black cat

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 03:43:21 am »
Hi and welcome to BPO!!  I will leave your questions to be answered by the Saint experts here, but I wanted to say hello.  I am Stephanie, mom to 11 month old Sierra the Newfoundland and 8 year old Magic the Black Lab and 3 skin kids.  LOL!  You'll love it here!

Kalli is such a beautiful babe! I grew up with several Saints, but haven't had any since I was about 16... about 18 years and much, much too long ago!

I can't wait to see more pics of her!!  Bless you for rescuing her from having to scrounge for food in garbage cans.  Now she will have the spoiled Saint life she deserves.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 03:44:16 am by Newly Newfed »
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline jagersmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 04:49:01 am »
Hi! Again, welcome to BPO. I'm Annette. I'll too leave the question for the all-knowing Saint owners but welcome none the less! And we definately need pics. We thrive on them!  ;)

(Modified for spelling. It's New Years. I had a party here  :D)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 04:49:53 am by jagersmom »
Dogs laugh.... by wagging their tails

Annette, mother to:

Jagermeister - Bullmastiff
Bacardi - DSH terror cat

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 04:49:49 am »
I forgot to mention that it may take awhile before your Kalli gains all of the weight that she needs.  Our Sammy was extremely malnourished when we got him.  He'd been starved almost to death by his previous owners until animal control removed him from the home.  He was 68# when he was picked up by rescue in January and just a tad over that when we got him in early March.  Although he was an adult already (anyone's guess but probably around 5 yrs old) it took him 5-6 months to gain back all of the weight that he needed.  I haven't had him to the vet since August but he was up to 105# or so by then and looking very good.  Now we have to watch that he doesn't become overweight b/c he LOVES his food!   ;) ;D
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees