Author Topic: So, what do you do with those Christmas Cards now??  (Read 8644 times)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
So, what do you do with those Christmas Cards now??
« on: December 31, 2007, 06:56:33 pm »
Ever wonder what to do with all those Christmas cards after the holidays are over?  Well, I have a solution!

Starbucks is asking for your used Christmas cards to send to St. Jude's Childrens Ranch. St. Jude's rescues abused, abandoned and neglected children and places them in safe, home-like environments with proper counseling, and lots of love to give them new opportunities, new chances and new hope for a better life.

For over 30 years, St. Jude's Children's ranch has been recycling used greeting cards. The kids cut out the front and paste them on a pre-printed back. The kids are paid for each card they make and the cards are resold to fund the charitable work the ranch does all year long.

If you have a Starbucks nearby, ask if they are participating in this and you can drop off your cards there.  I'm not sure if it's just my region that's doing this, but I got the impression it was company-wide.  Anyway, I'm collecting them at my store so if you want you can mail them to me and I will get them to the right place. Just send me a pm and I will send you my address - unless you still have it from the card exchange list.

Our store goal is to collect 1000 cards to forward to St. Jude's. Can you help me?

Thanks!
Jeanne
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: So, what do you do with those Christmas Cards now??
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 08:26:16 pm »
That's a great idea.If I didn't already reuse mine I would for sure send them to them.Any cards I get for Christmas I save and reuse the next year for Cal's Cards for Christmas.This year I uped the distribution to 2 nursing homes,I would like to add one more every year.

Modified to add: I just sent my email requesting everyones Christmas cards.I only use the ones that aren't personalized at all for Cal's Cards for Christmas.So I asked everyone to send me even the perosnalized ones to send to you.If you PM me your addy when I get them all collected I will send you the ones I can't use for you to donate.No sense in throwing any of them away.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 08:35:12 pm by Butts Mom »
Michelle, Butt, Tub and Everybirdie

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 08:48:01 pm »
I forgot to mention that they can only take cards that, obviously, don't have any writing or personal message on the back side of the front of the card. Does that make sense? If you're not sure, send them anyway and I'll sort them out.

Thanks again
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 08:53:27 pm »
I will check with my Starbucks tomorrow - sadly I did just get rid of a bunch that I had saved from last year - I am trying to be less of a pack rat so I started cleaning my office.

Will the photo cards work - I have a lot of beautiful cards with peoples awesome dogs on them, those are the ones I kept.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 08:56:47 pm »
I don't think they want the photo cards, just commercial cards that they can reuse the fronts of.

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 09:02:55 pm »
Here's the info off of the St Jude's Ranch Website:

Thirty Four years ago, Father Ward, wanting to show our donors his appreciation for making St. Jude's Ranch for Children possible and having no money to buy gifts, came up with the idea of turning the previous year's Christmas Cards into Christmas ornaments. Father and the children worked diligently at recycling the cards. The recipients were so delighted with their recycled cards that they asked Father and the children to recycle more cards, but, this time, the donors wanted to buy the cards. St. Jude's Ranch for Children's Greeting Card Recycling Program was born.

People from all over the world send us their used card fronts. The children precision trim the cards and glue them onto pre-printed card backs which are then sold to the public through our newsletter, Gift Shop or by word of mouth. Each child is paid fifteen cents for each card that he or she makes. This money is divided between spending money, savings, and their Home Fund (for special group outings).

As part of St. Jude's commitment to break the vicious welfare cycle and to teach the children to learn to earn, we have expanded the recycling program to include Christmas, Thanksgiving, Mother's Day, Easter and other special occasion cards, as well as all occasion greeting cards, postcards, or just about anything else you can think of that starts with a used greeting card front. Our most popular requests are for angel and teddy bear cards. Custom orders with special printing, fancy cards, gold trim, are also available.

Please send your used card fronts that can be attractively trimmed to fit our 5"X7" card backs, and that do not have writing on the back of the card.

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 09:03:57 pm »
I will check with my Starbucks tomorrow - sadly I did just get rid of a bunch that I had saved from last year - I am trying to be less of a pack rat so I started cleaning my office.

Will the photo cards work - I have a lot of beautiful cards with peoples awesome dogs on them, those are the ones I kept.

If Starbucks won't take them for St Judes I will take them for Cal's Cards for Christmas.

Offline pitas

• Paw-meister
  • Mom! Let us out, please!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 11:23:16 pm »
We would be glad to send you our Christmas card fronts too.  Please let us know where and when to send them off to you!

Thank you!

Anita & the 4 Newfies from NJ

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2008, 12:03:00 am »
What a better way to recycle Christmas cards. Do they accept cards year-round? Or just Christmas cards? And can we send them directly to St. Jude's?
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008, 12:36:14 am »
What a better way to recycle Christmas cards. Do they accept cards year-round? Or just Christmas cards? And can we send them directly to St. Jude's?

They accept cards year round and all kinds of cards.I posted the info about their card program in one of my earlier posts.Here's the addy they have posted to send cards too.

St. Jude's Ranch for Children

100 St. Jude's Street

Boulder City, NV 89005-1681

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2008, 02:55:49 pm »
bumping

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2008, 05:01:48 pm »
Me too.  :D  I think I still have my Christmas Card list around here somewhere... :)
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2008, 06:14:01 pm »
Jeanne call your Vets office and see if they still have all the cards they got.I went to the local Vets today and got all theirs and left requests at the bank and PO for everyone to bring me in theirs.I'm making two piles one for you and one for me.

Modified to add that I just posted your note on one of my bird boards asking people to donate their cards.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 06:26:21 pm by Butts Mom »

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2008, 01:31:23 pm »
that's a great idea! I'll do that today. Thanks for all the help!

Offline jagersmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2008, 02:40:44 pm »
Hey this is great! My mom and I were cleaning out the shop and attic and found 2 totes FILLED with cards. I know she likes to keep the sentimental ones but I'll see if we can get a big bundle together!
Dogs laugh.... by wagging their tails

Annette, mother to:

Jagermeister - Bullmastiff
Bacardi - DSH terror cat