Author Topic: Canidae dog food  (Read 18256 times)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
Re: Canidae dog food
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2005, 11:08:52 am »
I think it all depends to what your dogs, like and respond well too, both my dogs are on solid gold and love it, no gas or poop problems here is a great site to compare foods and ingrediants. Sometime they won't list glucosamine as an ingrediant because it is in another ingrediant, ie chicken cartilage.

http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=comp-wiz

Hope this helps in your search.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2005, 12:20:20 pm »
hey Lyn,
Try the farm stores, the seed and feed stores close to you.  I thought it was nuts to, but some of them carry premium foods.  There is a seed & feed down the road from us that carries stuff that I can't get at any of the pet stores around here.  Also on most of the websites for the dog foods, there are store locators so you can tell where to find the food you are looking for.

Canidae
http://www.canidae.com:591/canidae-retailers/search.htm

Solid Gold
http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/

Chicken soup for the pet lovers soul
http://www.chickensoupforthepetloverssoul.com/cslocator_distributors.html

etc.. you get the idea :) Hope this helps
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2005, 12:21:14 pm »
We get puppy chow at the local tractor/trailor store.  They even have dog toys. 

Lyn

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2005, 12:36:35 pm »
Thanks all for the help. Greatly appreciated. I didn't think searching for dog food would be so insanly mind boggling. LOL

I spoke to my vet and gave him the list of what I could get since I got so frustrated... and he thinks the FROMM Chicken a la Veg would be good.

Here's the ingredient list... What do you all think?
Ingredients:
Chicken, Chicken Meal, Pearled Barley, Oatmeal, Sweet Potato, Brown Rice, White Rice, Whole Dried Egg, Menhaden Fish Meal, Millet, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Dried Tomato Pomace, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Oat Hulls, Herring Meal, Cheese, Flaxseed, Carrots, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Apples, Green Beans, Lecithin, Potassium Chloride, Cranberries, Blueberries, Salt, Monocalcium Phosphate, Chicory Root Extract, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Alfalfa Sprouts, Yucca Schidigera, Folic Acid, Whole Clove Garlic, Parsley, Chondroitin Sulfate, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Bifidobacteriu m Longum, Lactobacillus Salivarius, Enterococcous Faecium, Vitamin A, D3, E, B12 Supplements, Choline Chloride, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Menadione Sodium Bisulfate (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Biotin, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Cobalt Carbonate, Calcium Iodate, Sorbic Acid, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Sodium Selenite.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Protein 24% Minimum
Fiber 3% Maximum
Fat 15% Minimum
Moisture 10% Maximum
Ash 6.5% Maximum

Calcium 1.2% Vitamin A 18,200 IU/kg
Phosphorus 1.0% Vitamin D 1,300 IU/kg
Sodium 0.4% Vitamin E 180 IU/kg
Potassium 0.6% Vitamin K 1.52 mg/kg
Magnesium 0.12% Vitamin B12 0.10 mg/kg
Zinc 135 mg/kg Choline Chloride 2,320 mg/kg
Iron 229 mg/kg Niacin 82 mg/kg
Manganese 70 mg/kg Pantothenic Acid 26 mg/kg
Copper 11.0 mg/kg Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) 38 mg/kg
Cobalt 0.4 mg/kg Riboflavin 7 mg/kg
Iodine 1.53 mg/kg Thiamine 8.7 mg/kg
Selenium 0.47 mg/kg Pyridoxine 4.2 mg/kg
Iodine 1.53 mg/kg Thiamine 8.7 mg/kg
Glucosamine 400 ppm Folic Acid 1.4 mg/kg
Chondroiten 40 ppm Biotin 0.3 mg/kg
Technical Information:
Metabolizable  Food Density 
(kcal/gm) 3.968 (oz/cup) 3.3
(kcal/lb) 1,800   
(kcal/cup) 370 

The only thing I need to figure out is how much to feed him.  It says it's an all life stages food but it only lists the adult feeding amounts. Here'e the feeding recommendation s. Bubba is about 80 pounds right now and almost 6 months old.

Daily Feeding Recommendation s:
Weight of Dog Cups/Day*

5 lbs    1/2
15 lbs  1-1/4
30 lbs  2
50 lbs  3
75 lbs  4
100 lbs  4-2/3
*Standard 8 fluid ounce measuring cup

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2005, 07:36:09 pm »
You can get Canidae shipped to you. 

http://www.waggintails.com/store/DisplayProduct.php?sku=CDDK-001

(Just type in Canidae Delivery in Google)

As for the Wolf King/Cub, some dogs have problems with alternative protein sources.  I've learned that there are several top quality dog foods out there but every dog responds differently to each one and it's a trial and error.  I've also heard that alot of dogs can't deal with Duck, and as such avoid those when I'm shopping.  Here are some other good food brands (I went to the food store today and Sanity and I started on Eagle Pack Holistic Chicken).

California Natural
Merrick
Innova
Timber Wolf
Wellness (But NOT if they're already having a problem with loose stools, says the brand rep)

Merrick and Timber Wolf have the prettiest packages.....  I looked at them for a LONG time.  But settled on the Eagle pack.  I've never heard of FROMM.....

BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2005, 07:58:38 pm »
There are a lot of good brands out there, I would not go on the gluc. when I rule out a food. If I found a food that seemed to fit my dogs need, id rather supplement it.

There was one food stating max 27% crude prot. on a giant breed you really would want to not go over 23% prot. and if they tend to grow too fast, you would probably want to bring it down to 18 or 19%. The largest problem with our giant dogs is that they grow too fast, and that will most likely give problems in the long run, so if we can slow them down a bit, thats good. Mind you, I am working hard on keeping Galahad on an even and not too speedy growth here and it can be tricky  :P

Here is a link that has a rather long list of food that at least this canine nutritionist thinks highly of. She is a dane breeder, and is very up to date with most things that go on in the feeding and breeding world of giant dogs.

http://www.greatdanelady.com/

I also give vit. C and gluc. and enzymes. In some very rare cases you can see an elevated liver funktion and when they decrease the gluc. it goes back to normal, they have yet not been able to for sure say that it is the gluc. or if it is underlying problems with those particular dogs. And it is extremely rare.

Good Luck in finding a food you and puppy like and when you do it would be interesting to hear what you choose and what you think about it.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Lyn

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2005, 08:50:03 am »
Somehow I missed brandon's post about the feed and seed stores. I found 2 local feed stores that carry the Canidae.  ;D I'm going to pick up a 40 pound bag today. It works out to be $15 cheaper than the Solid Gold so that's a bonus.

I have enough Solid Gold left to mix for about 2 days. Maybe more if I start mixing it half half. Since he already has soft stool it's not like it could get much worse.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2005, 11:28:46 am »
I highly suggest you go buy a small bag of solid gold to make the switch. You can get a small 4lb bag for under $10. When we switched zoey off of solid gold the other month we had to buy one of those bags because we didn't have enough to make the switch properly either.

If you only switch over 2 days I am sure you will have some serious diahrea to deal with, and it'll last longer than you realize. Especially since bubba is so young.
RIP former BPO

mcenter

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2005, 11:45:54 am »
Hi there everyone....I am new here, I just need to figure out how to attach pictures! My name is Michele, and I have 4 furkids. Rocky, a Landseer Newfoundland, Bailey, a Great Pyrenees, and Toby & Tucker, both Golden Retrievers. Just thought I would add that I feed Innova, and they recently came out with foods for large breeds. There is a puppy formula and adult. If you go to http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=comp-wiz you can research many dog foods and their ingredients... .but Innova is an excellent food with human grade ingredients. Sounds like you've decided on Canidae but just thought I'd put in my two cents...

I am loving this board and the pictures of all your beautiful dogs!!

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2005, 11:48:14 am »
I agree shangri...... I think most vets recommend 4-5 days when you switch food. I presonally like to take it very gentle and do it over a week. And trust me lol....... a little runny poop can get a LOT worse. Some dogs seem to have "steel bellies" and are not bothered at all, but a lot of the big guys in particular seem to have a little harder time with switching food. So to be on the safe side I would get a small bag of the food you use now and let it take several days to get over to the new food.

Good Luck

Marit

nickerbokker

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2005, 11:54:24 am »
here's what i do when switching food.  it takes me like a month LMAO.....IM CAUTIOUS---living three floors up, you have to be LMAO.....

i start with 3/4 regular food 1/4 new food...a week later i switch to half and half...then to 3/4 and 1/4....then, i take the rest of the old food and mix in into the new food completely.... .so there is a little of the old food till the new food is gone.  works great for me!  and then there aren't runs all the way down the hallway, in the elevator, in the lobby, on the concrete, and then finally, a tiny squirt on the grass.  its happened before.  lol.  not fun.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2005, 12:06:13 pm »
Nicki..... lol...... I can see you and wangus running like mad, to make it out while he is making a little trail from his butt all the way down hahaha.

The way you switch food though, sounds like the perfect way of doing it, real gentle and gives them lots of time to adapt to the new food.

Marit

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2005, 12:24:45 pm »
Hi there everyone....I am new here, I just need to figure out how to attach pictures! My name is Michele, and I have 4 furkids. Rocky, a Landseer Newfoundland, Bailey, a Great Pyrenees, and Toby & Tucker, both Golden Retrievers.... I am loving this board and the pictures of all your beautiful dogs!!

Hi Michele. Welcome to BPO! You should start a thread to introduce yourself on the general board. Just click on the link on the left side of the main BPO page - it says 'post a thread to the general board' or something like that. And to attach pictures, all you have to do it click 'additional options' under the text box when you are posting a message. They upload them right to BPO. Also, if you want to have an avatar (a picture in all of your messages, like how my saint zoey's pictures is in all of my posts)then you can have one by editing your profile. To do that, click 'profile' under the  'user tools' section on the right side of the screen, then it will take you to your current profile. then there is a link on the right side of the screen that says 'modify forum profile information' and you can upload the picture that you want to be your avatar there.
RIP former BPO

Lyn

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2005, 07:14:59 pm »
I see your point... I usually do switch much more slowly. But I give Bubba chicken and turkey all the time, either raw or cooked and those were the only time he would have solid poops. The Canidae is chicken and turkey.. So I thought I'd try mixing half and half and just too see if his poops start to firm up. If not I'll go out and buy a small bag of Wolfcub.

If I was more energetic I'd just switch him to raw all together. No poop problems at all with raw meat. But I'm too worried about him getting the proper nutrience. And all these supplements just confuse me. LOL

Hello Michele. Welcome to BPO! :)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2005, 07:16:31 pm by Lyn »

Lyn

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2005, 11:20:34 am »
We have firm poop!! I never thought I'd be this happy over poop. LMAO! He's still having the odd loose stool, only once yesterday. And he went from pooping 7-8 times at day to 4-5 times. He's not gassing me out anymore either.

I'm still mixing the food Canidae and Wolfcub half/half. Hopfully once he's eating just the Canidae I'll never have to scrap another loose stool off the lawn again. LOL