Author Topic: Canidae dog food  (Read 18254 times)

Offline Janisjin

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Photos of Toku & Logan
Re: Canidae dog food
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2005, 01:03:39 pm »
Lyn:

I am mixing Canidae with Wolf Cub too and my pup miraculously has firm stool now too! so weird. Do you think it was the wolf cub by itself? I had him on innova puppy then to wolf cub and he kept making little pancakes. then he went on a bland diet with antibiotics and then to wolf cub with canidae. strange! I wonder if there is something that has to do with the salmon or bison in the wolf cub that gives some puppies loose stool.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"
-- Unknown

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2005, 01:10:58 pm »
I use to feed nutramax to the poms but we are feeding raw now...Willow was weaned right to a raw diet.  I think it is great!  You can use canned pumpkin (not the pie mix) to firm up stools.  Just need a little. 
Timmie

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2005, 05:28:36 pm »
Lyn:

I wonder if there is something that has to do with the salmon or bison in the wolf cub that gives some puppies loose stool.

Some dogs can't tolerate alternative protein sources.  Lots of times if they have a problem with a quality food, try one with a different protien.

Ang
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Lyn

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2005, 08:10:06 am »
When I gave Bubba raw I didn't give him any kibble. I heard the same thing about mixing raw and kibble at the same time. So he got kibble for breakfast, a couple raw chicken thighs for lunch and then kibble again for supper. Although it wasn't 12 hours between meals though. Bubba get's fed at 7am, 12 noon and 5pm.

I just re-read my other post. It did sound like I was mixing the raw and kibble half half. What I meant was mixing the Solid gold and the Canidae half half.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 08:11:46 am by Lyn »

Offline LoveNewfies

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2005, 11:25:04 am »
It's surely been a big debate about whether it is ok to feed raw and kibble, whether at the same time or not.  I have not heard of anyone, despite all I have read to contradict such, that has had a problem feeding both at the same time (raw mixed with kibble) or a meal of each per day. 

The arguments I've heard are that raw food digests faster and causes upset by leaving kibble in the stomach and the age old don't mix because you will cause a nutritional imbalace. 

I did rescue a great pyrenese a couple years ago and she did best with a mixture of kibble and raw.  If she got just one or the other she would have very soft, runny stools.    The Akita I fostered ate mostly kibble and got raw meat once in a while - no problem there, either.  The Great Dane has also done well with a combination. 

I suppose it depends upon the dog.

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2005, 06:22:50 pm »
two of my pups from my last litter currently are on raw one meal, kibble the next, one is on wysong synorgen, the other being switched from fromms to the eagle pak
i prefer canidae or wysong.
they have had no problems with digestion or pooping or anything else.
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

Kiahpyr

« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2005, 02:18:44 pm »
I finally decided to go with Canidae dog food. Kiah is free fed because she won't eat very much at one time. I tired to feed her 2-3 times a day, but she never ate all her food. Then she would eat the whole bowl to fast and puke it back up. I am doing half and half with the iams food. The first time I mixed them together she ate the whole bowl and kept it down. She's never gone that crazy over her food before. If she keeps this up I'll have to watch how much she eats. Poops are good too. I am supplementing with glucosamine. Any other vitamins I should be giving her? I also switched my cats over to Felidae which is cheaper then science diet. So far so good.

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2005, 02:31:47 pm »
Sophie was on iams when I got her.  I free fed her also because it never seemed like she ate the whole bowl.  I then switched to Canidae and now she scarfs down the whole bowl so we no longer free feed...  I think she would probably eat all day long if we did  :)
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline tonyc

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2005, 03:13:21 pm »
w00t. big fan of Canidae here...

tho at the rate we're going thru for 2 dogs, i'm about to try the Costco/Kirkland signature brand made by diamond.. decent ingredients, great price.

btw, did anyone sense MORE shedding on Canidae? or is it just my imagination?

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2005, 03:16:46 pm »
I'm thinking seriously of making the switch to Canidae too...Currentl y I'm feeding a mix of 4 foods...I know, I'm an idiot...lol!...2 different formulas of Premium Edge because I am switching them off of the lamb & rice to chicken & rice...Then I started adding Merrick & Canidae too...I'll probably end up feeding Canidae & supplementing.

mcenter

« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2005, 03:22:23 pm »
Innova recently came out with a large breed formula that i've been feeding my crew and they love it...the first two ingredients are chicken and turkey, are human grade ingredients and it has the gluc and cos, plus has a larger kibble size that my boys like....you can check out its ingredients and ingredients of other foods at the following link:

www.naturapet. com

Just click on the "tools" tab and it compares many dog foods and gives info on the ingredients
« Last Edit: September 12, 2005, 03:24:25 pm by mcenter »