Author Topic: Authorities found a dead draft horse chained to a pole along w/dead dogs@ cats  (Read 3808 times)

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
This is outside Buffalo New York how anyone could do this i will never know it makes me ill!

Home > City & RegionDead horse leads to animal cruelty charges against Randolph couple
Draft horse found chained to a pole
By T.J. Pignataro NEWS STAFF REPORTER
Updated: 01/03/08 8:05 AM

A grisly discovery inside a Cattaraugus County house and barn Saturday led to the arrest of a Randolph man and his girlfriend on animal cruelty charges, state police said.

Authorities found a dead draft horse chained to a pole inside a barn at 3199 Route 394 in the Town of Coldspring. Also discovered were two dead dogs and a dead cat.

Kenneth Sporysz, 33, and his girlfriend, Renee M. Webster, 44, both listed as residents of the Route 394 address, were arrested Wednesday on warrants issued by Coldspring Town Court. Both were scheduled to be arraigned on 15 counts each of failing to provide food and water and torturous or cruel treatment of animals. Additional charges are expected, state police said.

The SPCA seized the other animals from the house, including nine Australian-shepherd mix dogs, a calico cat and a horse that had been spotted wandering loose previously.

The horse is being cared for under a foster arrangement at the Randolph Children’s Home, said Kelly Chaffee, president of the Cattaraugus County SPCA, which is seeking homes for the remaining dogs and the cat. Contact Chaffee directly at 307-8937.

Police and SPCA officials said that last Thursday, a man going to work spotted a horse on the roadway and tied it to a telephone pole, believing its owner would see the animal and return it to its home. However, the man saw the horse was still there when returning home from work, according to Chaffee. As a result, the man contacted authorities. Neighbors in the area later told authorities the horse may have been loose for as many as five days.

State troopers and SPCA authorities discovered the dead draft horse. They also discovered two dead dogs — one of the dogs left in its carrier — and a dead cat.

“It was pretty disheartening,” Chaffee said. “The last case we saw something like this was back in 2005.

“For the life of me, I don’t understand why you’d tie a horse and leave it in a barn.”
Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
That is horrible!!!!! I used to live right around that area before I moved to Ohio in 99.I'm very happy to say I don't know those people.
Michelle, Butt, Tub and Everybirdie

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.  Some people really suck.  Poor animals, I hope the people who did this are punished to the fullest extent of the law.
My Sponsership page for my very first race!