Author Topic: Question About Hips  (Read 4467 times)

Offline Little Bit

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Question About Hips
« on: January 05, 2008, 03:26:15 pm »
I have a new GP pup, 8weeks old. I have never owned such a large breed before. I have been told that this breed is predisposed to bad hips. How do I know, other than x-rays, if this pup is going to have bad hips? is there a way to tell? I know both parents so can go look at them if I have to.

Many moons ago I was told by a doggie person to do this with pups and it can give you an idea if thir hips are going to go bad. First you put the puppy on it's back. Then gently push down on thier hind legs. If they open up easily and you can push them open to the floor, good hips. If not, bad hips. I cannot push my pups hips wide open so this tells me she will have bad hips. OR, can you not do this trick with a GP?

Is there anything i should be doing now to strenghthen her hips? Like control her growth or something?
Little Bit-GP pup
Little Girl- Lab Mix
Mitzee- Heeler/ Boarder Collie
and way too many cats!

lins_saving_grace

Re: Question About Hips
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 10:03:28 pm »
there are a few posts in here under medical conditions about hip dysplasia and tendencies toward it.  my vet has examined Grace and thinks her hips are great.  the breeder tested her hips and certified them too.   you can either have exrays done or trust your breeder about the hip and knee cert they got when they registered the liter...unless it's not a registered liter.  then go get a full check up.  it's not something you can predict as they are born with it and it progresses with age.  good luck...and what a cute little fluff ball.  here's to many happy years.  i think you'll like your big breed.  soon the bigger the dog the smaller it looks.  i don't know how to deal with small dogs anymore.

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
Re: Question About Hips
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 10:20:36 am »
Actually they have shown nutrition to be a primary force behind the development of hip dysplasia and other orthopedic problems.  That is why there are so many large breed formulas in dog foods now. Genetics does play a role of course but certified excellant parents can still have dysplastic puppies. It is critical that your puppy not be fat and kept in a lean weight at least until he is 2 or so.  You should easily be able to feel ribs.  In addition I recommend no calcium supplements and to feed only a large breed formula as well as moving the puppy to adult formula at 6 months old.  Oh BTW  BARF advocates swear they have eliminated orthopedic problems by their all natural diets.