Author Topic: fur straightners?  (Read 9058 times)

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
fur straightners?
« on: January 06, 2008, 10:36:32 am »
hey all,
i posted about our first show. Now i need to ask one more quesiton about a wavy fanny.  Titan has a patch of wavy fur along his back near his fanny. I found something called "get it straight" for dogs.  Is there anyone who has used this product? It is from cherrybrook. can i use a gentle human straightener? such as sunsilk or something like that? Please help!!!

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
Re: fur straightners?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 11:05:10 am »
Cherrybrook products are really good. You can also try Chris Christinson products as well. He has a product called thick and thicker. It's an aersol spray but is good for straighening as well.

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 11:08:14 am »
that is odd they would call it thick and thicker...can i use it in the ring if it is an arosal?

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 11:28:09 am »
sure. once applied you can't even feel it on the fur. Believe me many handlers usr products that shouldn't be used.

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 11:47:16 am »
is there a shampoo that i could use? or anything like that? Someone suggested putting a towel on them, although that did sort of work...it still left a big wavy in the middle!

Offline ptkennel

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Prairie Trail Kennel
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 01:23:56 pm »
When you bathed him did you blast him after?  that might help to straighten the hair, blast and brush in the same direction, and then in the opposite direction, to get it to straighten.  Thats what i did for my newf, she had horrible curly hair on her rump.  I tried everything, but blasting it and brushing it every way, and then using a light aerosol after to settle it down, worked.  Hopefully his hair will get better as he gets older.  Ours did.
Joy, Newfoundland
Gabi, Newfoundland
Amy, Irish Wolfhound
Sara, Irish Wolfhound
Gintaro, Irish Wolfhound (from Poland)
Desa, our Borzoi
4 Irish Wolfhound puppies, Saturn, Gemini, Delta and Mercury
www.prairietra ilkennel.com

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 12:22:32 pm »
when you say blast him... do you mean with a dryer?  Well we have a small doghouse dryer from petco, because of money issues.  I think that a bigger, stronger one would definitly help out more.  I did a tubby again last night (we have a first show on saturday) and i gave extra conditioner, and towelled him...(towel with velcro like a jacket) to flatten it...but that seemed to make it worse!!!!!

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 12:34:47 pm »
when you say blast him... do you mean with a dryer? 
There are bunch of super powerful dryers made by Metro also called "blasters". They can be use for Motorcycles, cars and...dogs, LOL! They really blast wet coats and cut drying time in a half or more. I am sure that power can sraighten anything  ;D

Here is the one I have

http://www.metrovacworld.com/Shopping/product.asp?catalog_name=metrovac&category_name=&product_id=Blaster
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 12:38:14 pm by People Whisperer »
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 12:41:27 pm »
when you say blast him... do you mean with a dryer?  Well we have a small doghouse dryer from petco, because of money issues.  I think that a bigger, stronger one would definitly help out more.  I did a tubby again last night (we have a first show on saturday) and i gave extra conditioner, and towelled him...(towel with velcro like a jacket) to flatten it...but that seemed to make it worse!!!!!

I am no expert in this category as I've never shown my pets (although I've always been interested in it!....I still may someday), but Miles has a wavy coat on top. And I have curly hair. In my opinion, the towel would make it worse because it's sort of trapping in the moisture and making it pretty humid thus making the hair curly/wavy and harder to dry.

The strong blowdryers work really well. When I take Miles to the self service dog wash at Petco I use that thing, and it is awesome. It made his coat pretty straight on top. Of course just brush the hair out as you blowdry and I would thing that should do the trick!
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline ptkennel

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Prairie Trail Kennel
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 01:00:22 pm »
I just keep brushing and blowing the hair and it gets pretty straight, you can use some very light gel too when it is wet and then blow it out and brush.  Just like peoples hair the more you pull and straighten the hair and blow dry, the straighter the hair will go.
Hopefully when he gets a little older his hair won't be as wavy, our Joys is way better now than when she was a pup.
Joy, Newfoundland
Gabi, Newfoundland
Amy, Irish Wolfhound
Sara, Irish Wolfhound
Gintaro, Irish Wolfhound (from Poland)
Desa, our Borzoi
4 Irish Wolfhound puppies, Saturn, Gemini, Delta and Mercury
www.prairietra ilkennel.com

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 11:48:37 pm »
I've heard this stuff works pretty well.....I love Isle of Dogs!!

http://www.iodogs.com/pc-296-31-isle-straighten.aspx
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 12:57:55 am »
hey.... we figured it out... we used bed head shampoo for straightening,we also used the straightning conditioner, then we used the straightening serum.  Then the day of the show, we brush him out.  It worked very well... his fur is weird though...it is little waves behind his shoulders, then it sprouts into this almost a curl by the end of his back.  But this bed head did it's job enough to make me happy, even though i was told in puppies a wavy coat is not a fault.  but i bet you he would have gotten first if he had a straight coat and his darn hocks were ok
Thanks everyone for their help! The bed head is also gentle on the coat...made it soft, and wonderful.  Thanks again!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 12:59:01 am by jaz and titan »