Author Topic: Multiple dogs???  (Read 18561 times)

Offline MarleyPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Marley - Pyr & Jasmin - BMD
    • View Profile
Multiple dogs???
« on: January 06, 2008, 10:27:23 pm »
Hi everyone,
I notice that many of you have more than one dog. I am especially interested in Pyr's. I have gone back and forth about getting a second dog ...or perhaps another animal such as a goat or sheep for Marley to guard. I suppose the biggest reason I flip back and forth is that we travel a few times a year. If we go by car eg:camping we take Marley with us. We can't always do this if we are going places by plane. More than one Pyr will make this even harder. On the other side of it, Marley is an outside dog - I would love it if he came in the house more but he LOVES it outside and would much rather lay on the deck and look inside than lay inside on the floor looking out.   Marley even sleeps outside.For this I think that having a few companions to spend time with outdoors when we can't be out there with him would be great for him....
Can Pyr's be happy on thier own? Are they more independant as a breed or are they happier in two's or three's? Also...how do you know that introducing another dog to the family will be in your dog's best interest as opposed to making him feel like he is no longer your one and only?
Carolyn
1 Great Pyr 2yrs
1 Berner pup

Casselman,Ontario
Canada

Offline saintlykallismom

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple dogs???
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 01:53:46 am »
I have always thought that it was better to have more than 1 dog as long as your first dog is well socialized and get along well with other dogs. I only have 1 dog at the moment 6.5 month saint bernard but I am seriously considering another big paw once she is a little older because she loves playing with other dogs and I think she would be much happier with a friend. Sorry I can't give you any expert advice; this is just my opinion and what I have noticed while owning dogs.
Proud mama of:

Kalli- 6(?)month old saint bernard
Lexi- 6 mth old orange and white kitten
Franco- 5 yearold big black cat

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 01:57:02 am »
Hi there,

My Pyr was the second dog for our family. I've had Tipper for almost 6 years and went back and forth about adding a second dog. I was concerned about the work load for me, traveling with 2 dogs, and how it would impact my relationship with my "one and only."

In terms of the work load, it's so not a big deal, car traveling is do-able for us with two, and with my relationship with my first dog, it was an adjustment for me, but it has been for the better. I do still sometimes go on a run with just him, but it really seems like it was more my issue and not his about him not being my only dog. I'm still there for him, we still do the same stuff we always did together, we just now bring Jenny.

I knew when I adopted Jenny that she was really for me and not Tipper (they're not the same age, same size, have different exercise needs, etc.). I didn't get her as a playmate for Tipper, but it has been nice to see them play and wrestle together, which they've been doing so much more of lately.
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 02:28:21 am »
I think it depends on the number one dog and his temperment more than anything else. Just be honest with yourself about the reasons! Is it REALLY for Marley, or maybe since he's become an "outdoorsman", it's you that wants the indoor, footwarmer, giant lap dog type dog?? LOL - come on, tell the truth!
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline ptkennel

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Prairie Trail Kennel
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 12:45:16 pm »
We have always had two or more dogs in our house.  When we were first married we had two rottis, and three kids.  Yes chaotic at times but for the dogs it was great, when we didn't have time to spend with them they had each other.
Now we have 4 and again chaos, but they all get along.  They all have similar temperments, so they play together with out blood shed.
I always felt that the dogs need that companionship that only another dog can give.
Joy, Newfoundland
Gabi, Newfoundland
Amy, Irish Wolfhound
Sara, Irish Wolfhound
Gintaro, Irish Wolfhound (from Poland)
Desa, our Borzoi
4 Irish Wolfhound puppies, Saturn, Gemini, Delta and Mercury
www.prairietra ilkennel.com

Offline Mojo1269

• Big Paw Certified
  • The Men
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 02:34:46 pm »
I moved to a multiple dog house about five years ago and will not go back to single.  I find that the dods are much happier when they have a companion around and it gives them someone to play/hang with if you are unable to at any given time.  I truley belive that getting Duke added time on to Voodoo's life.  She has 7.5 when I got him and she loved having a friend (even when he was as obnoxiouse puppy).
Duke 5 Year Old Menacing Hound
Butler 1 Year Old Burgeoning Monster

VooDoo the Greatest Dane. 09-14-1995 - 12-31-2007 RIP my sweet

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 08:08:58 am »
I just read & replied to your post titled "The Great Barking Debate" so this is sort of an addendum to that post.  Personally I think that most dogs are happiest when they have the company of both humans & other dogs, but here is the big BUT....  If Marley's voice alone is causing some issues in your neighborhood, then you may want to wait to avoid more problems.  My experience is that often one of my dogs will hear a sound, flick their ear or cock their head, but then decide to ignore it.  But then if one of our other dogs starts to bark at it, they all go for broke at one time.  So they can really get each other going!  Here when nearly 300# worth of dogs start to "WOOF" the roof semi-raises.  ;)  ;D  :o  I'm sure that BPO people with bigger dog families than mine will attest to this also.  So if barking is a problem in your neighborhood, then maybe it might work better to hold off for a while until Marley gets a little older and maybe more sedate.  Also, then you might have good luck adopting a mature dog from a rescue.  They usually can tell pretty quickly which ones are the quietest and who are the biggest barkers.  That way you might be able to adopt a slightly quieter Pyr (or other breed) to be a good addition to your family.
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 10:46:16 pm »
Multiples- of course that is coming from me though.
I have had one dog- many many years ago- how boring that was...
Pyrs do enjoy other Pyr company. As stated in another post my Pyrs welcome all other Pyrs and they just become a team- with a Pyr it is like the more the merrier. Now for the barking- if one is going bark then yes two are going to bark- Sometimes one Pyr will bark just to see if the other one will bark. It also can become extremely chaotic.
I currently have 7 adult Pyrenees. Choas reigns. But Pyrenees are happy go lucky dogs (unless you are a coyote) and they just seem to think that as long as they are all together, life is good.
Dolly the momma dog has even basically let the pack help her with raising the babies. I can not think of another breed of dog that would allow that- and Tuggles was so involved with the raising of the babies that he also got sick when they all got sick at 7 days old. He just could not get enough of those babies.
Pyrs can be great as single dogs however Pyrs like to be a part of a pack. He would be fine and he would probably play more than he does now if you added another Pyr.
Again though, if barking is a problem then you may want to reconsider unless you can keep them in doors the majority of the time.

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 11:47:17 pm »
I kind of look at my dogs like I did my kids.  Once you have the first one, you might as well have more.  You are now committed to taking care of one, so another won't be a problem.  You have to make arrangements for care, when you are gone.  If you take them with you, you have to take, food, water, etc.  So doubling that is no big deal. I would never have just one dog.  We did for all of 3 days last year when Hamlet died and my husband called me and did not want to come home from work.  The house was just too empty.  My dogs all serve a purpose and that was my criteria for getting them.  Cody guards and makes me feel safe.  Max is our clown and makes my husband feel loved and wanted.  Jake is our outgoing, friendly, never met a stranger dog and Max's playmate.  They all have their place in our life and fill it beautifully. For me an only dog is like an only child, too clingy, too needy, easier to spoil.  Not for me. If you are concerned about the barking, consider getting a different breed.  Pyr's generally don't seem to mind who they share their lives with.  Jake gets along just fine with Cody and Max.  He's not good with small dogs, but all big dogs are just fine with him.  Also, keep in mind that rescues don't necessarily know how a dog is going to react to your particular living situation.  It can take a rehomed dog months to really show his true personality.  A dog that was very laid back and docile in a foster home may suddenly turn into a territorial, dominant dog in a different pack setting with a different human and canine family.  It happens, so don't be surprised.  Good luck and I'm sure you will make the right decision for your family and dog.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 01:32:07 am »
I have 3 dogs and I kinda agree if you have 1 you might as well have 3. It’s like kids if you have 1 you might as well have more. All 3 of mine are rescue dogs in all my years of rehoming and fostering the stories I could tell about dogs that were wanted when they were pups and when they grow up if they do not fit in to the family lets give them away. There are so many throw away dogs because no one has enough time to spend with the dog and he is board and chewed everything up or he has mistakes because he is in a crate for 12 hours a day. Dogs require a lot of time love and understanding! I had a lady that ask me to find a home for her dog she worked long hours and the dog was in a crate from 12 to 14 hours a day and she realized it wasn’t fair to the dog. I found the perfect home for that dog a couple the wife worked at a nursing home and she was able to take the dog to work with her and when she wasn’t able to her husband worked out of the home and the dog spent time with him. It couldn’t have been a better fit a month later the lady who gave up the dog called me and told me she got another dog and not a thing had changed with her working hours it made me sad. I look at my 3 and would not have taken them if I could not provide everything they deserve. That is not just shelter and food it is lots of love and training as well to the end of there lives. I live the reasons why humans don’t want there animals every day I lay in bed at night and think about the unwanted animals I know I can’t take every animal I come across but I will do my best to find them loving homes. Marina
Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 01:19:11 pm »
I currently have 3 dogs.IMO if we can give 1 dog plenty of time and attention then i think its fine havign just one dog,BUT if we are gone alot and do not have the time to give that one dog lots of attention then I definatley think two or mor eis in order ;D

Now for the barking...I would not get another known barker :-\If thats an issue with you or your neighbors.Pyrs are known all over in what you read about being barkers.
Max-3 Year old Golden/Lab cross
Buddy-8 Year old English Cocker Spaniel
Bear-4 month old Great Pyrenees
Tigger-barn kitty
Shiloh-9 year old Painthorse

Nicole

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 01:00:03 pm »
Well, you've gotten plenty of insight. Now I will weigh in as the single-dog owner! :)

I emphasize that it TRULY depends on your dog's temperment and personality AND that of the 2nd/3rd dog.

Cabeza (our 8 year old Chow/Newf X) has mostly been a single dog since we've had him. There have been times that we had fosters for short periods and even a 2nd dog for awhile. Most recently, we had Mabel, an 11 year old mutt. She was only with us for months before she died of cancer. :(

In any case, Cabeza seems to be happier alone. He tolerates other dogs, and some of them he will even sorta-kinda play with. But, honestly, when he is the only dog in the house, his energy level is higher, he's more spunky and puppy like. I think that is because he loves US much more. He doesn't like to share and he's not interested in playing with another dog.

So, I would say really really really pay attention to YOUR dog. Don't personify him. What would HE truly like/want? I know that deep down, Cabeza will accept any dog I bring in, but he would really prefer to be the only one in the house.

I want a Newf, and I was always planning on getting her last fall. However, I think I might wait awhile now for a 2nd dog.

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2008, 05:08:17 pm »
IMO if we can give 1 dog plenty of time and attention then i think its fine havign just one dog,BUT if we are gone alot and do not have the time to give that one dog lots of attention then I definatley think two or more is in order ;D

Actually, I REALLY have to disagree with this. If you don't have the time and attention to devote to one dog, I really don't think it's wise for an owner to go out and get another dog. Having 1 dog requires time and attention, and having 2 requires MORE not less, simply because there are now 2 dogs to care for, not just 1. Besides, nothing is worse than having 1 dog not getting the attention he deserves than having 2 or 3 or more not getting the attention they deserve.
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Nicole

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2008, 06:25:37 pm »
IMO if we can give 1 dog plenty of time and attention then i think its fine havign just one dog,BUT if we are gone alot and do not have the time to give that one dog lots of attention then I definatley think two or more is in order ;D

Actually, I REALLY have to disagree with this. If you don't have the time and attention to devote to one dog, I really don't think it's wise for an owner to go out and get another dog. Having 1 dog requires time and attention, and having 2 requires MORE not less, simply because there are now 2 dogs to care for, not just 1. Besides, nothing is worse than having 1 dog not getting the attention he deserves than having 2 or 3 or more not getting the attention they deserve.

Ya know what, Marissa? I totally agree with you. I think that while some dogs benefit from the companionship of another dog, it is certainly no substitute for that of their humans.

While dogs are definitely pack animals, they've also evolved over thousands of years to be "man's best friend". They want to be with their people. If you can't give one dog the attention and time he/she deserves, you have no business bringing another dog into that situation.

Besides, I would be very leery of a situation where the dogs have developed a pack that is separate from the humans. That would make me very nervous, and that is exactly what you'd be doing if you aren't interacting enough with one dog, so you get another.

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2008, 08:42:38 pm »
Thanks, Nicole. I'm helping my cousins get their dog out of the situation it is in. This sweet little dog of theirs is never let in the house, never played with, or taken for walks, and at one time, they thought getting another dog would be the best answer for her.  :( Not at all.  :-[ They are finally realizing that the dog deserves a better home, not just a canine companion.  :-[
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."