Author Topic: DANE DYSPLASIA  (Read 4702 times)

Offline karateblossom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • skin and fur family of many children from ages 5 to 14 living at home; and eng mastiff named odin and a siamese named april. we are like alvin and the chipmunks meet garfield!
    • View Profile
DANE DYSPLASIA
« on: January 12, 2008, 03:14:21 pm »
Although I'm a mastiff mommy, my step daughter has a 3 yo dane (merle) named samauri who is showing hip issues.
Now, let me rewind so I hopefully can get better info:
My step daughter (i'd prefer 2 call her my daughter but it would confuse many of u) step-dad loves danes and they bought one 3 yrs ago.
the step dad committed suicide in aug of 07.
Now SAM is having hip problems (i don't think they have taken him to the vet).
I don't know how severe or problematic sam's hip issues are but I was wondering, what types of hip issues are common w/ danes?
What should I possibly suggest to the mom on sam's prognosos, options, etc?
They have 2 other furry friends in their home-a daschund with a softball sized tumor on her throat (she's 12 yrs old) and an 11-12 yo choc lab who has chronic ear infections and skin problems who is outdoors.  They have a houseful but are all missing that one factor that helped them out-the step-father/dad.
Are their any organizations in tx (san ant area) that provide reduced cost assistance for danes or any helpful advice re SAM and his hips?
I know how important he is to my daughter and I know it would b devaststing to her if something happened to sam-as the other two pets are both close to end of life as well.
I want to keep it positive but also, if u r an expert in dane hips, I would greatly appreciate your thoughts!
k-blossom   

karma is kewl!

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: DANE DYSPLASIA
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 06:12:10 pm »
I am so sorry to hear that Sam is having problems, on top of the other issues.  Your stepdaughter really needs to get xrays of his hips in order to be able to determine what is going on.  It may just be a matter of arthritis or something along those lines, that can be resolved or at least treated with medication.  Cody has severe arthritis in his right hip.  So far, he is not on medication, but may need it in the near future.  It may be some degree of dysplasia.  It may also be a problem with his knees or ankles.  There is really no way to tell without xrays to see what is going on.  I would call around to your local vets and animal hospitals to get prices on the xrays, if that is the concern.  The quicker she finds out for sure what the problem is, the quicker she can begin treating the dog for it.  Good luck and I am sending you all my best wishes for a good prognosis, whatever the problem turns out to be.
Kathy 
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline karateblossom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • skin and fur family of many children from ages 5 to 14 living at home; and eng mastiff named odin and a siamese named april. we are like alvin and the chipmunks meet garfield!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 09:47:45 pm »
I'm hoping it isn't  too bad  He's only just turned 3.  Thanks soooo much for the kindness.  It gives me warm fuzzies.  Sam is a great boy, although he is a tall one, and I would be sad if it were anything super bad.  My step-daughter is only 11 so we'll have to get 'mom' to take sam for x-rays.  I just know she is going through a lot right now , as its only been 5 months since her husband killed himself and is grieving and may not put all that needs to be into the pack, and understandably (but sadly) so.  I want to help out but 'ex-wife' is touchy area for me to intervene.  Trying to stay neutral while helping out my step daughter and sam-who is her happy boy!  ;)
Oh, and my mistake-he's mantle (like a boston terrier-blankets), not merle.  I made that mistake....so many kewl colors and patterns on danes! 
Thanks again for all help and replies!
karma is kewl!

Offline ratdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 06:00:49 am »
Man, that is a lot to be going through for everyone. I don't know anything about the hip issue but just know that my thoughts are with you on this. I hope it is nothing serious with Sam.
Best friends forever:
Tal, my cat, 1990-2007
Ratdog, my dog, 1992-2004

My new love:
Cody

Offline karateblossom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 06:29:56 pm »
My husband will talk to his ex next weekend and hope she will listen...sam is the greatest...and so cute.  ;)  maybe when my stepdaughter comes over, I'll post a pic of sam!
karma is kewl!