Author Topic: please help with belgian malois???!!!  (Read 8448 times)

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
please help with belgian malois???!!!
« on: January 20, 2008, 04:58:44 pm »
hello, sorry we are watching this belgian malios  (sorry for spelling) and she at first punctured a huge hole  in my great danes face.  Now we have her for 8 months. So far she is either in a crate or outside..but outside she decided that toys were not fun enough, so she ate our hose (just chewed it to pieces) I have two other female dogs (shar-pei and great dane) and my mastiff titan (male) Do females always have these issues? Can i ever put her with the group? I feel bad this is her life for 8 months, because i do know better. But i don;t know what to do...any help????

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: please help with belgian malois???!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 05:16:41 pm »
How old is she?  In about a month she's going to realize that she can do whatever she wants to with no consequences.  What would you do if this were your dog?  Obviously training is an issue!!  By putting her outside she doesn't understand that she's done anything wrong.  It's a daunting task, especially when they aren't yours, but it will make your whole life so much easier! 

Don't remove her from your pack, but don't leave her unattended with them either.  Treat her like she's a new pup.  Some people will keep the dog on a long line while they are in the house so they can keep them out of trouble and whenever you leave the room the dog goes with you.  Granted if you aren't home she still stays in the crate. 

Practice NILF with all the dogs (if you aren't familiar with it search it on the site).  Basically, they get nothing; food, treats, play with you, or going out the door, until they sit and are calm or maybe even lay down at some point, whatever works for you.  I've also realized that when I am feeding or giving treats I feed the alpha first, then go down the line of rank.  A lot of people notice a difference with NILF pretty quickly but you have to show this dog, as I'm sure your dogs already know, who is boss.  Because as far as she's concerned ya'll are becoming her pack, she doesn't know that she's going to be leaving!

Other people will give you much better advice, but that's a start and my two cents!!  Don't give up it's fixable.  I hope your dane is feeling better soon.  Oh and as to the hose, some dogs will just go after anything that they can put in their mouths when they are outside!!!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: please help with belgian malois???!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 01:56:54 am »
Thank you for all your suggestions. Sorry i left out so much information, but i was frusturated at the time.   She is about 1.5 years old, when i got her, her owner runs her *ouch* 14-18 miles a day He is in the army and wanted a running buddy. BUT he only fed her 2 cups of food!!!!!  :o so when she came to me, she was skin and bone,,,literally.So we are feeding her and she is gaining weight nicely. He said that i could watch her for the 8 months or keep her. For the condition that this dog was in i would keep her, and give her to a rescue.  She deserves better than me, and MUCH better than her current owner. She is trained really well, she does everything you ask the first time even off leash (one on one). BUT...when playing she uses her front teeth, and that is what rips holes in the dogs she is with.  She is spayed...i think the guy said he spayed her at 9 weeks old, the breeder told him to.  He claims that he hand fed her, although with the rough mouth this girl has, you are lucky if you get all 5 fingers back. I have taken her out with my kids, but she doesn't know how to play. She barks at my dane, and growls at her insanely....th is dog is great one on one, it is when she is with others that is not good.  I did talk to people at the dog show about her, and they said that if Maya (belgian's name) bit one of mine and drew blood, she will always go after that dog.  Which is true, it feels very true anyway.  I know that i have to train this dog, but it is hard to justify training her, and doing it pro bono.  I know that i have to deal with her, but the amount of work that this dog needs with others and distractions is insane.  I wish i didnt take her on. He wants to do police work with her, and i know she would be great at it, but she is sooo dog aggressive. But only if the other dog wants to play. She can sit on a leash with others around and have no problem (until the cat comes around).  If the others are playing she will attack. 
The first day i had her it took 9 hours to be able to take her out of the crate. She charged, barked, growled, and threatened  to attack any time we went to open the crate. Luckily she doesn't do that any more! I don't know what to do. I have never had a dog like this ever!  I can't believe that people have dogs that do this...i would be so embarrased if it was one of my dogs. AHHHHHHHH