Author Topic: Dog Boots for snow  (Read 7950 times)

Offline behr babe

• Gnawer
  • Behr
    • View Profile
    • Random thoughts from the mind of a dane puppy :)
Dog Boots for snow
« on: January 21, 2008, 08:52:28 am »
Hi,
I have a great dane puppy, and am trying to get her used to boots for going in the snow.  I just bought some cheaper ones for the moment, just to practice.  We would like to take her to the snow with us before long, tho, and need some boots to protect her feet. 

Is it possible to keep the boots on in snow? Anyone have any luck with this? If so, which kind of boots do you use?

THANK YOU!!!

Holly (aka Behr's mom) :)

http://behrrake.wordpress.com/

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Dog Boots for snow
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 10:16:47 am »
ruff wear makes great boots. I have a great dane and a mastiff... the xxl is for mastiff...and way to big for my dane.  I would recommend the xl for the dane, or even just the large.  Usually boots types don't fit our bp's, but these definilty do.  If you personal message i can tell you how to get them much less expencive from the ruff wear company.

Offline Mojo1269

• Big Paw Certified
  • The Men
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 01:36:01 pm »
Another great Boot is made by www.granitegea r.com  They specialize in sled dog gear (amongst other camping gear)so odds are if it will stay on a sled dog they should work for your Dane.  When I have run sled dogs these boots were used on some of the younger pups that did not have tough pad's yet.
Duke 5 Year Old Menacing Hound
Butler 1 Year Old Burgeoning Monster

VooDoo the Greatest Dane. 09-14-1995 - 12-31-2007 RIP my sweet

Offline behr babe

• Gnawer
  • Behr
    • View Profile
    • Random thoughts from the mind of a dane puppy :)
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 12:23:32 pm »
Well, our little princess puppy runs around a whole bunch and then will suddenly decide the snow is just to cold or something. Silly girl.  We have a fleece jacket for her that works for a puppy, and will get a "real" coat when she's done growing so she doesn't feel so cold.

Anyhow, we still need to get boots for when we go for longer snowshoeing hikes, I think.

Behr's mom :)

http://behrrake.wordpress.com/

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 02:42:20 am »
Hey if you want great boots go here... www.ruffwear.c om if there is anything on this site you like, let me know, i get 50-75% off.  They don't mind me giving it to other people.  Let me know.  These boots i have for all of our dogs. The malnois, dane, and mastiff as stated above...please don't hesitate, they are great in the water, snow, hot pavement, they are year round wear. I am not trying to sell these to anyone..but truely from experiece they are wonderful. They do not fall off, they are washable, Through my discount (trainer discount) they are approx. 10-25$$ just let me know and i can help you out.  I know how hard it is!!!

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 02:43:11 am »
oh sorry...that also goes for the beds, coats, toys, collars, and what ever else is there.

Offline AnnaCrew

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
    • Come and pat Grace
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 02:54:05 am »
Are you living in area where it is going really could? Like british Columbia?
Great Dane as far as I know do not need any boots for running outside in the snow.

I would watch her paws because if you walk in areas where the salt is scattered away, it might create problems, but here we just wash the dog's paws when retuning home.
The same about a jacket. If you are going for a walk and you know that there will be no long sitting or standing still for a dog, she will be ok. when they can move, they are never really cold. You probably need a jacket if it is going below -10 c if that.
http://ozolkalni.blogspot.com/
Come and pat Grace athttp://en.uniteddogs.com/dog/16498

Offline Bubbalove

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 05:44:43 am »
We use Polar Paws.  He is in an XL.  He loves to be outside in the terribly cold weather and the only thing that tends to suffer are his pads.  You see him every now and then lift one paw up and then the others to give them a rest.  This allows us in the really cold weather to allow him to be outside and comfortable.  Only the first couple times each year is he bothered by them.  They have been great.  About $30 for 4 of them.  He has done well with them. 
They are in the pic below...
Kana - 4 y/o Japanese Akita
Kita - 8/2005 crossed Rainbow Bridge
       10 y/o American Akita

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 06:18:44 am »
considering my dane has a single coat of fur, you can see her skin, and she shivers and shakes when it is cold, she gets a coat.  When she comes inside with bloody feet, and cracked paws, cuts inbetween her toes, she get boots.  It doesn't matter if it is cold out or not. Most of her issues come in the summer.  If she didn't tremble, her nose that is usually pink is white due to cold, and her pink pads are white, she is cold and needs the jacket.  so instead of her going out and freezing.....s he gets a jacket and boots.   and when it is -10....they don't go out for more than 2 minutes....and YES they still have a jacket on...if not they harass me to get warm.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 06:20:18 am by jaz and titan »