Author Topic: Introducing a new puppy friend  (Read 4460 times)

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Introducing a new puppy friend
« on: January 22, 2008, 04:36:32 pm »
I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on how to properly introduce Bo to my friend's 6 month old Golden puppy?  Historically, Bo has not taken well to puppies because of their lack of manners and she often "scolds" them by barking at them.  While I realize that this is appropriate dog behavior, she's VERY loud (most Pyrs are-BIG LUNGS) and I think she can scare the people as well as the puppies.  I really want to introduce these two, as I miss having time with my friend and our dogs together (her older Goldens both died a few years ago).  However, I don't want Bo's scolding to traumatize this puppy, either!  Any suggestions?  FYI-the introductions would happen at the puppies house, not Bo's house (probably better in the long run).
Thanks!
Jenn, Bo & Floyd in CA
"Be the change you wish to see in the world"-Gandhi

Offline peytons mama

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Introducing a new puppy friend
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 04:46:25 pm »
we have a white shepard across the street and peyton and Loki (god of mischiff in german) love each other. peyton met him when she was about 6 months old and he is 7 years old. peyton was scared of him because he barks SO loud but he was tender when she would submit. he would get down and smell the places he needed to smell. they only get to play once a week but now they can't wait to get across the street! she still submits to him when he barks loud. i think it still kinda shocks her. but they talk to each other across the street all the time. i think that has a lot to do with it. they see each other but don't get to play together often. they can still smell across the street so they know each other, but have little contact. i don't know if this is correct, but with works for loki and peyt. so who knows.
Your house isn't a home until you have made a bed for a dog.