Author Topic: Phoebe has gotten us in trouble!!!  (Read 11363 times)

Offline MollyGirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Phoebe has gotten us in trouble!!!
« on: January 24, 2008, 11:20:46 am »
We got a letter from the City yesterday stating that they received a complaint of nusiance barking, not my darling Phoebe!!!!  I have been really good about bringing her in as soon as I hear her bark but apparently not good enough for some people, so now we need to start keeping her inside more which it too bad because she really love to be outside laying in a snowbank.
The city ordinance states"it is unlawful for any person to keep or harbor a dog which habitually barks or cries.  Habitual is defined as barking for repeated intervals of at least 5min with less than one minute of interruption."
I have to say that never has she barked for repeated intervals of 5 min. ever.  So goes the great barking debate.
Becky
Phoebe 1-1/2 Yr.Great Pyrenees
MollyGirl No longer with us Pyr/Springer mix

Lyn

Re: Phoebe has gotten us in trouble!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 11:48:49 am »
LOL Tina. :D

Or you could just clock your neighbour with a coffee cup. I haven't had a problem with mine since. LOL

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 12:03:40 pm »
That couldn't be Phoebe!!! LOL
I am sorry you got nasty neighbors  >:(
I too think that you should appeal the letter. People have no rights to complain without having a lawful reason.

In our house we have "three bark rule". If Lily produces more than three sets of barking she is going in, whether she likes it or not. The funny part is that she knows by now...after she barks, and barks and barks...and she goes to the door knowing that I am coming to get her, LOL!
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline MollyGirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 12:08:19 pm »
Your right I think I will call the city.  Some people are just so uptight.  I can only imagine what they think of me sitting on the front porch with my laptop and a beer in my hand.
Becky
Phoebe 1-1/2 Yr.Great Pyrenees
MollyGirl No longer with us Pyr/Springer mix

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 01:28:28 pm »
If you figure out who reported you, post them at www.rottenneig hbor.com.

One of the main reasons I live where I do is because nobody here cares about barking dogs.  There are at least 50 dogs within a mile of here plus all the dogs in housing on the Marine Corps Base over the hill.  When the coyotes get howling, all those dogs bark, and bark, and bark...

Another reason is it is zoned for horses and other large animals, tigers for instance, by permit.  My next big paw will have tiny hooves.

That video of the dogs sleeping during a barking episode was a great idea.  You must have had fun showing them the tape. 

Does Phoebe have a video camera?
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 01:31:07 pm »
That is absolutely ridiculous!! I would not stand for that!! I would definitely call and complain....an d pull a Tina....crack down on THESE people..or maybe even pull a Lyn. Just make sure you hit the right neighbor. HAHAHA :D
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 01:42:10 pm »
I guess that's what brings me to my real question--why can't neighbors just approach neighbors about problems in a neighborly way any more?  Why is it necessary to "report" someone without ever trying to solve the problem amicably yourself first?  Have we completely lost this capacity in today's society?  Can we no longer just be neighbors? :-\

GREAT point Holly!!!
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 03:53:40 pm »
We have neighbors that the cops don't even go to alone.  I would rather not talk to them about their 24/7 barking dogs.

Here is a pasting of an article from this week's local newspaper about problem dogs.  They make barkers look good.

Dog attack illustrates ongoing WV problem

By KURT SCHAUPPNER / The Desert Trail   Wednesday, January 23, 2008 2:27 PM PST
WONDER VALLEY — Less than a month after moving to Wonder Valley, Bill Carr and his 15-year-old Terrier mix, Samantha, “Sammy,” were introduced to a long-standing problem in this east Morongo Basin community, aggressive packs of loose dogs.

Carr, a disabled veteran, moved to Wonder Valley from Phoenix, Ariz., on Dec. 15 with his 8-pound dog.

They have been staying with a friend, Bill Wetterer, at Wetterer’s house in the 4700 block of Wilson Road.

They were outside on the afternoon off Wednesday, Jan. 9 when Samantha was attacked by five large mixed-breed dogs, Carr said, describing the dogs as not as big as but as tall as Rottweilers.

“They all came over and one of them grabbed her and shook her,” Carr said. “She’s got 45 stitches in her.”

He added that the dog has suffered from infections and other complications since the attack.

Carr and Wetterer took Samantha to the Hi-Desert Animal Hospital in Yucca Valley where a neighbor leant Carr the money to pay for treatment. Carr said he plans to repay the neighbor though he is not certain how.

Carr said he is not certain if the dogs are feral or simply dogs allowed by their owners to run loose.

“They came down one night and aggressively went after my friend,” Carr said. “They are out all hours. I understand that they are all over the area. It might be someone just lets them out at night to go scavenge.”

Carr noted that he and Wetterer have been friends for 30 years. They work together as professional musicians and handymen.

Wetterer noted that he has lived in Wonder Valley for about 13 years.

“I don’t know exactly where they come from. They seem to have packed up,” he said of the dogs who attacked Samantha and others who are known to roam the area.

“People do dump dogs out here periodically. I think some of them are just dogs that are not cared for very well,” he said. “I cannot identify any particular dog with an owner.”

He said he has seen the same bunch of dogs before, usually in a pack of about five.

“I think there are other bunches too. There’s quite a few wild dogs out here,” he said, noting that he has been confronted by dogs acting “like my property is their property. If I get aggressive with them so far they have backed off.”

He described the dogs as ranging from medium to large.

“I think we are going to call Animal Control,” he said.

Wetterer added that there are many Wonder Valley residents with dogs who are responsible dog owners.

Wonder Valley Fire Capt. Starlene Javier on Tuesday, Jan. 22 confirmed that aggressive loose dogs has been a long-running but not frequent problem for Wonder Valley residents.

“There are packs of wild dogs that have been running around here for years,” Javier said. “They have attacked animals. I have known them to keep people from coming out of their homes.”

She noted that residents calling county Animal Control should not expect much of a response unless the offending animal has been captured.

“They are not going to come out and search the desert,” she said. “Unless they are captured or contained they have no way of catching them.”

Javier estimated that attacks are reported three or four times a year.

Sometimes the dogs are those that have been abandoned by people from outside the area.

“People kick their dogs out here all the time,” she said, adding that if nobody adopts the abandoned dog it can be adopted by a feral pack.

“There’s a pack that runs with about two or three pit bulls,” she said.

“Don’t attempt to go near them. They will attack you,” she said, noting that if you are inside and a pack is outside your home, and you don’t have a gun, you should probably stay indoors.

The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline MarleyPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Marley - Pyr & Jasmin - BMD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 11:34:30 pm »
Hi there, I have started one of the posts on this site about the great barking debate so I feel your pain. As much as it might make you feel better to challenge the letter (which I probably would) if your neighbours complained you are still going to have to do something about the barking if you don't want the problem to escalate. I don't know what options you have concidered but I have just recieved a device - which I actually discovered on this site - that uses ultrasonic sounds to help control the barking. There are mixed reviews about these devices. The one I am trying seems to have the most positive feedback for success. I am installing it tomorrow so I will let you know if it actually helps. Perhaps if it does it is something you can try. It doesn't require your phoebe to wear a collar - it just hangs in the yard and picks up the bark and sends out a signal. They actually advertise this unit for neighbours who want to control another neighbours dog!
I will let you know if it does anything. I too have to do something about Marley's barking even though I honestly don't always think that he is excessively barking.
 :(
Carolyn
1 Great Pyr 2yrs
1 Berner pup

Casselman,Ontario
Canada

Offline Olivers Mom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 10:33:55 am »
As the mom of an almost 2 yr old Pyrenees "Oliver". My beautiful lap dog (he thinks). I felt compelled to let you know I have tried fighting with city about barking complaints, to which I was told TOO BAD!! Don't waste their time or my own trying to explain or prove my dog's innocence. I couldn't believe it! They explained if it was only one neighbour no problem - it's when more than one complains then you'll have a problem. I'm lucky I get along with almost all of my neighbours, but the issue of no way to defend myself or my poor dog leaves me more than a little angry. I noticed you were going to try the ultrasonic system and was considering that myself. Love to know how that worked out for you and of course Phoebe.

Offline KatysTank

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Mya
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 11:56:40 am »
We are lucky and live in the country in the middle of nowhere and EVERYBODY'S dogs bark around here! There is this one Jack Russell terrier that barks non stop day and night because he is chained up and never gets attention. So, we never had a problem out here but we had a horrible neighbor in the city that always complained about the dachshunds barking so, that is one reason why we move.

The only bad thing about living out in the country is that we have horrible animal laws. There are so many abused and neglected animals.  :-[ Also, a lot of neglected chained up dogs. It is so sad.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 03:19:16 pm »
That is too bad you had someone complaining against you. I def. would challenge it.

My parents had a complaint put in on their last dog.  3 charges, actually.  First one was for a dog running at large or off leash or however it was worded.  That she was guilty of..........my parents didn't have a fenced in yard and when it was time to go back into the house she would take off.   :P  But we would always manage to catch her after a short period of time.

Second offense was she was wearing no tags.  Def. untrue!  Obviously no one had actually caught her to check under her 5 in. long hair (aussie/collie/shep mix).  She always had a collar with all tags.

I can't remember the third offense.  I think it might have been for barking at night. Not sure. Either way, she was always brought in at night after 9pm which is when the noise ordinence goes into effect. 

We called and got the 2 charges dropped although my parents had to pay a fine for the one.  And she was taken out on a leash for quite some time after that so no exercise for her.   :P

As for those ultrasonic emitters?  I haven't used on personally, but a friend of mine had her neighbors use it against her sheltie and it was extremely traumatic and obviously painful for him.  He refused to go outside for quite some time (those neighbors also threw objects over the fence at him, including glass bottles, garbage, and sticks).  I think they had it at the highest setting possible though.

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 07:12:51 pm »
Sounds like a case of the crabby neighbors!!! I so dislike neighbors that don't have the decency to approach you nicely first before the formality of a nuisance report. If Phoebe's barking doesn't technically qualify as 'nuisance barking', is there something you can do to have the report reversed?
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline steve

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 07:15:11 pm »
I have five dogs including one pyr who all love to bark and I live in a city neighborhood. One of my neighbors complained to the city about barking and I got a letter. I was told two neighbors need to complain for the city to take any action. The complainers would need to sign a complaint sheet and be willing to submit the complaint to the city. I don't know if any of my neighbors would back up the original complainer but I did learn I would have a hearing and have the chance to prove the complaints were false (with a lawyer if needed). I doubt if anyone would back up my whining neighbor if they risk perjury. Luckily they never went that far.
Also you can play payback, many things are illegal that are not enforced unless someone complains. Parking on the sidewalk, commercial vehicles, mini bikes, building without permits, unlicensed contracting, open fires, etc. Maybe taking away something they love will make them think twice about complaining again.
I obey the laws pertaining to dog barking in my city mostly because I understand it can be irritating but I will not tolerate a liar. My whining neighbor moved within a year, I think he got tired of my complaining.
Don't get mad, get even and good luck.