Author Topic: Ranger is all of a sudden boycotting breakfast. Ideas???  (Read 3248 times)

dohertyswissy

Ranger is all of a sudden boycotting breakfast. Ideas???
« on: January 24, 2008, 06:55:37 pm »
I have always found myself so fortunate that my sweet Ranger Roo wasn't a picky eater.  He was completely cool with getting 2 square meals a day, with some yogurt or veggies thrown in on occassion.  As in the words of Ranger's breeder though, never say your dog has "never done xyz" or has "never been xyz" because the moment you do they will most certainly do/be xyz. 

Ranger Roo is now a picky eater, at least in the morning.

For about 2 weeks now, it is totally hit or miss if Ranger is going to eat in the morning.  At night, this is not an issue, provided that he's convinced I won't be leaving him anytime soon.

I was thinking maybe it is linked to the new schedule with my job?  Granted I've been here almost 2 months, but certainly there was no really routine because of the holidays.  Then, he had his teeth cleaning, went to visit the ex, then we were at the beach this weekend.  So, I'm leaning towards him being a little wonky because of being off-schedule, but he has NEVER..and I mean NEVER... turned down a meal.  I've always fed him 2x a day and given him about 20 minutes to finish the goods. 

I'm wondering what I should do, if anything, about this??  Thoughts?  Ideas?? 

Offline Mojo1269

• Big Paw Certified
  • The Men
    • View Profile
Re: Ranger is all of a sudden boycotting breakfast. Ideas???
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 06:59:14 pm »
Is he still drinking water?  If he is drinking and appears to be otherwise healthy it most likly is a phase and nothing to worry about.  My Mastiff is a picky eater and went through a similar thing.  I started putting a couple tablesoon of some canned EVO food on his kibble and it cured him of his pickyness for now.
Duke 5 Year Old Menacing Hound
Butler 1 Year Old Burgeoning Monster

VooDoo the Greatest Dane. 09-14-1995 - 12-31-2007 RIP my sweet

dohertyswissy

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 07:35:44 pm »
He's still drinking water and I know his health is okay because of the 87438378532 tests they ran 2 weeks ago.  His activity level is the same too.

It's just WEIRD..

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 10:36:20 pm »
Navarre used to do that all the time and now Issy has started it too!!!  She'll "skip" breakfast for a few days and then all will be well for awhile and then she'll skip again!  As long as she's not presenting with other issues I usually don't worry about it.  Maybe it is all the stuff going on and he'll get into the groove soon!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix