Author Topic: Anyone buy sweet potatoe chews and.....  (Read 4465 times)

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
Anyone buy sweet potatoe chews and.....
« on: January 31, 2008, 12:57:36 pm »
I order my dog food and treats from PetfoodDirect. com
they have some really neat chews and treats.

As anyone bought the Sweet Potatoe chews for there dog? if so how did they like them?

Also what about Duck strips,fish strips..etc?
Max-3 Year old Golden/Lab cross
Buddy-8 Year old English Cocker Spaniel
Bear-4 month old Great Pyrenees
Tigger-barn kitty
Shiloh-9 year old Painthorse

Nicole

Re: Anyone buy sweet potatoe chews and.....
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 01:01:09 pm »
I bought the sweet potato chews for Cabeza. He took one in his mouth, looked at me for a few minutes, and then spit it right out. I did this a few times, and then realized he just plain hated them.

However, I gave them to my neighbor who has 3 dogs, and they LOVED them. So, I guess it just depends on the dog. Cabeza LOVES cooked sweet potato, so I assumed he'd like the chews, but nope.

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 01:03:46 pm »
I get the sweet potato fries for Miles. They're the same exact thing as the chews, but cut like fries! They also have glucosamine and chondriton in them. Miles likes them. I wouldn't say he LOVES them, but he certainly will perform commands for them (MOST of the time). hahaha I haven't tried the others, but I've always wanted to. The ones at the pet store are so expensive though-the duck strips anyway. I'll have to check out pet food direct. Haven't been there in awhile. ;D
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 01:14:12 pm »
We give Fumble the sweet potato fries, we used to give him the chews but we noticed that he wasn't digesting them and pooping out orange chunks. This could also have been from his tummy surgery, but just to be careful we've cut them out in the last month. BUt we definatly think they are so much better than pigs ears. And he did love them! :)
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 02:04:36 pm »
I buy fresh sweet potatoes and slice them or give them whole  My dogs love them.  Now my Pyrs won't have anything to do with the duck strips but the Petits scarf them right up.  Since the Petits think anything is a treat the duck strips are too expensive to buy- I could probably give them clumps of dirt and they would be just as happy.

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 02:34:09 pm »
I don't buy them, but I do dehydrate sweet potato slices, white potatoes, venison, beef heart, chicken strips, liver, beef kidney, beef tripe, goat, etc. for my dogs.  They love all of it. 
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline Mojo1269

• Big Paw Certified
  • The Men
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 03:07:32 pm »
I don't buy them, but I do dehydrate sweet potato slices, white potatoes, venison, beef heart, chicken strips, liver, beef kidney, beef tripe, goat, etc. for my dogs.  They love all of it. 
Kathy

I give the lads the sweet potatoe strips and they dig them.  I am cursious about the dehydrating.  That is a dynamite idea.  Do you use the goodies as meal additives/treats/both etc..?
Duke 5 Year Old Menacing Hound
Butler 1 Year Old Burgeoning Monster

VooDoo the Greatest Dane. 09-14-1995 - 12-31-2007 RIP my sweet

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 03:52:35 pm »
I use them as treats, supplemental feedings, etc.  I can buy in bulk, save some money, and dehydrate a large quantity at a time.  Once dehydrated I can freeze or refrigerate it.  My dogs love it all and I have the satisfaction of knowing it is all human grade food and perfectly safe for them, because I bought it raw.  All of the food, treat, dehydrated meat recalls, scared me to death.  I am in the process of changing over to a raw diet and even though dehydrated is not raw, it is close enough for me for treats and supplemental feedings.  I can buy beef kidney for .79 a pound and heart for 1.09 a pound.  It is much cheaper than the commercially prepared products.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline Mojo1269

• Big Paw Certified
  • The Men
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 05:15:10 pm »
I use them as treats, supplemental feedings, etc.  I can buy in bulk, save some money, and dehydrate a large quantity at a time.  Once dehydrated I can freeze or refrigerate it.  My dogs love it all and I have the satisfaction of knowing it is all human grade food and perfectly safe for them, because I bought it raw.  All of the food, treat, dehydrated meat recalls, scared me to death.  I am in the process of changing over to a raw diet and even though dehydrated is not raw, it is close enough for me for treats and supplemental feedings.  I can buy beef kidney for .79 a pound and heart for 1.09 a pound.  It is much cheaper than the commercially prepared products.
Kathy

Thanks for the info.  I do not want to encourage too much thread drift here but you have been very helpful.  I have been looking for an excuse to buy a dehydrator for limitd use when I camp but I belive I can now justify the purchase/pantry space with you great idea.  ;)
Duke 5 Year Old Menacing Hound
Butler 1 Year Old Burgeoning Monster

VooDoo the Greatest Dane. 09-14-1995 - 12-31-2007 RIP my sweet

Offline peytons mama

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 05:50:51 pm »
we have bought the sweet potatoe chips/strips and peyton loves them. at first she didn't like it but when she started chewing it and slobbering on it, she fell in love! she will whine if she knows they are there (we keep treats in a container, in a basket above her head on the kennel). but i have noticed that she loves anything that has to do with veggies and fruit. i don't know what it is about her...  :) i only get the sweet potatoes though when i have money to burn...they are sorta expensive. :(
Your house isn't a home until you have made a bed for a dog.

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 08:31:11 pm »
Kathy

Thanks for the info.  I do not want to encourage too much thread drift here but you have been very helpful.  I have been looking for an excuse to buy a dehydrator for limitd use when I camp but I belive I can now justify the purchase/pantry space with you great idea.  ;)

No problem with the thread drift..any info i can learn new doggy things is great info IMO ;D I am interested in this myself..ha..ha ..
Max-3 Year old Golden/Lab cross
Buddy-8 Year old English Cocker Spaniel
Bear-4 month old Great Pyrenees
Tigger-barn kitty
Shiloh-9 year old Painthorse