Author Topic: Abused and Starved Big Paw needs help  (Read 6039 times)

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • Carolina Animal Rescue Experts
Abused and Starved Big Paw needs help
« on: February 09, 2008, 12:17:12 pm »
Hi guys :) Haven't been around in a while, have been incredibly busy, but I thought I would drop by and cross post this... this is my foster dog Cody. I pulled him from deathrow this week from a very disgusting high kill animal control shelter near my house.

The story of how I met Cody starts with a wonderful woman named Marcie Bonard, a volunteer with Animal League of Gastonia. Marcie sends out weekly emails with the dogs scheduled to die that week at Gaston County Animal Control and does everything she can to place them with rescues. This week, as I looked through the sad tales and pictures, I decided to shift some animals and pull three dogs. I didn't have room for more then three... I really didnt have room for three dogs when for the last 4 years our rescue has been primarily exotic animals.. but I had to help. I moved some animals in foster care, begged and pleaded with overworked and fabulous foster moms, and emailed Marcie and told her I would pull the two dobermans and the siberian husky. Neither I or Marcie had met these dogs, but having been previously owned by both dobermans and Siberians, I was drawn to those three, needed to get them out. I arranged to go on Thursday to temp test all three, and pull the two dobies.

On thursday, Feb 7th, I entered Gaston County Animal Control and asked to see the male doberman. All I knew about him was his tag number, and an offhand comment from a kennel worker "He's thin." That certainly didn't prepare me for what came stumbling out of the kennel towards me.

Lurching like a horrible living skeleton, this bag of bones with his head hanging below his knees stumbled towards me. I couldn't believe he was alive. I could see from a distance, every bone in his body. The animal control officer holding his leash jokingly said "We call him Slim." Other kennel workers gathered around and said kind things to him and said what a pity it was that he was in such horrible shape. I was thanked for taking him. I hadn't even laid my hands on him yet and I knew he was walking out with me. I tried to get the pitiful dog's attention several times, but he couldnt look up at me. When I touched him, he jumped slightly and lost his balance. When I set my hand on his back, he slowly sank to the ground as though it weighed a ton.

Tears rolled down my cheeks as I slowly felt every bone in his body, all prominent, forced against his skin. He was so dehydrated his skin rolled off him and stood up in little hills. Open wounds (later discovered that some were infested with maggots) oozed on his legs. Scars showed on his head from recent fights, desperate for food from the other dogs. At first, I thought he was deaf. He could not seem to find me. Then I realized that he just didnt have the strength to move his head. I offered him a cookie and he gently took it from me with the tips of his teeth. His eyes were sunk far back in his head, but they shone with gratitude.

I signed the papers to take him away from the gas chamber and took him and the female doberman, and an extra dog, a little siberian husky corgi mix. The siberian/corgi went to a wonderful foster home (Where he quickly won them over) and the dobies came with me. The female siberian husky had to wait until the next day for her to be released. The female dobie, Maddie, was in perfect shape compared to poor Cody. When we tried to load Cody into the truck, he suddenly tried to jump into the back, a small burst of energy from a bundle of bones almost lifeless.... a hint of a life past where maybe he loved to go on car rides... or maybe just a desperate attempt to get away from the shelter. He could not have made the jump and he stummbled, and was caught by myself and the volunteer who had come with me. We carefully loaded him in and laid him on a blanket.

On the way home, I thought of the red doberman I had grown up with when I was a child. Cody, a beautiful, huge, thick doberman who was so brave, and gentle, and had an amazing spirit. He watched over everyone around him. I knew instantly what to name this poor starved wreck. Cody- and maybe some of cody's strength would come through him. We had a long road ahead of us... but with help, I knew Cody would make it.

Cody needs help- his estimated time of recovery is 6 months, not including heartworm treatment. Carolina Animal Rescue Experts is taking donations towards Cody's medical costs. You can learn more about Cody at

www.helpsaveco dy.com

and

www.petfinder. com/shelters/NC25.html

Thank you all for reading, give your healthy happy big guys a loving kiss.

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets
+ dozens and dozens o' rescues and fosters

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Abused and Starved Big Paw needs help
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 01:35:13 pm »
Oh my gosh!  I read your post with tears in my eyes.  :'(  I'm so glad that you are giving Cody a second chance at life.  Your description of his demeanor & how he sags under the slightest pressure reminds me so much of our Sammy last year when we first adopted him.  Sam's hip bones, ribs & vertebrae all showed very clearly and when we'd put a towel on his back to dry him he'd collapse under the weight of a thin bath towel.  Your estimate of 6 months is a good one, I think.  It took about that long for Sam to reach his proper weight and to gain back some of the muscle that he'd lost due to starvation.  We still had to be extremely careful with just the weight of that towel for probably at least that long.  As Cody gains back some muscle tone, you'll see his strength gradually improve.  We're still seeing improvement in Sam (mostly now in his demeanor) and it's been almost 13 months since he was first rescued by animal control.  Poor, poor Cody.  Did anyone know his story?  For example, was he tied up & starved (like Sammy) or lost or what?  It's heartbreaking what he must have endured and if he's like my Sam, he'll be the most grateful sweet boy that you can ever imagine.  Please give him very soft gentle pets from me and please keep us posted.   :-*
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 02:15:56 pm »
He was picked up lying on the side of a road... either he was dumped by someone or he managed to escape some imprisonment.. . unfortunatly the animal control center he ended up at was probably not much better then where he came from. It's horrible there.

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 04:52:38 am »
 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline BigSoftandFluffyLover

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 05:33:43 am »
 :'( :'( :'(  He is so beautiful!!!  The poor boy.  Thank you for giving him another chance!!!  The part where he tried to jump in the car almost made me cry.  It gives me hope for a full recovery  :)

Icerotti

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 05:34:47 am »
Poor Cody...you have such a big heart to rescue this boy. Thank you.

lookingfornewf

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 06:40:51 am »
I'm so glad you are taking care of him. I still can never believe what people do to their dogs or why they get them to start with. I went to the site to donate, clicked on it and it didn't work. It went to a paypal site and said try again and didn't work.

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 07:40:53 am »
Sweet Jesus.
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 08:26:57 am »
Om My!!!  :'( :'(

Max-3 Year old Golden/Lab cross
Buddy-8 Year old English Cocker Spaniel
Bear-4 month old Great Pyrenees
Tigger-barn kitty
Shiloh-9 year old Painthorse

Nicole

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 09:02:12 am »
DON'T SHOW THE PREGNANT HORMONAL WOMEN SKINNY DOGGIES! :(

Dontation on its way. :(:( Poor Cody.

Offline Bubbalove

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 09:28:04 am »
GOOD GOD!  I say my prayers everyday for people like you!  I wish I could send my entire paycheck for him!  Such a sweet face!
 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Kana - 4 y/o Japanese Akita
Kita - 8/2005 crossed Rainbow Bridge
       10 y/o American Akita

Offline willowtree

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2008, 12:41:26 pm »
Oh my gosh!  The pictures just broke my heart!  I hope he heals fast under loving care.
Maddox-- My big black something mix puppy

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2008, 04:07:40 pm »
I am going to see what I can do- I have my hands full as well and just took in another two from a high kill shelter. Thank you for getting him out of there. I think that you may fall totally in love with him before the 6 months is up and you can join me as the foster failure nominee of the year.
I am glad that you saw the beauty in this guy, he deserves so much more than what he has been dealt in life.

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2008, 08:18:28 pm »
Thanks all for your kind words, prayers and donations.

We got a lead today on a possible owner for Cody, and we're working to see if we can track him down for questioning/prosecution.

I also updated his website with some more info..

This boy is really a gentle sweetheart. I love him to death. I hope he finds a fantastic forever home!! Unfortunatly he doesn't appear to like cats so he wouldn't be able to stay here forever...whic h is good, LOL I need another big paw like I need a hole in the head!!!

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets

lookingfornewf

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 04:12:45 am »
I read the blog today and it's hard to believe he came up with no heart worm, good for you Cody. The donation link at the end of the blog did work and I sent it. For some reason I still had trouble with the other donation link on how to help. Poor Cody, I couldn't stop thinking about him last night. I'm happy to hear he's doing so much better