Author Topic: Just and update regarding grain free and Bubba.  (Read 4579 times)

Lyn

Just and update regarding grain free and Bubba.
« on: February 12, 2008, 05:19:23 am »
I decided not to go with another grain free food after talking with my vet. He said some dogs just don't do well with grain free foods and Bubba is apparently one of them.

I decided to stick with Champions foods and went with Acana, their sister food 'with grain'. Currently the Acana puppy formula since it's higher in calories and fat. It worked like a charm... and Bubba has put all the weight he lost back on and them some! Plus a bonus is the insane shedding has stopped also.

I do not like the rice bran or the beet pulp expecially so high on the list.. But if it works it works. Once he's up to a decent weight I'll switch him to the premium adult.. the beet pulp and rice bran are a bit farther down the ingredient list on that formula.

Ingredients for Acana Puppy Junior..

Chicken meal (low ash), steamed oatmeal, rice bran, chicken fat, ground whole flaxseed (natural source of omega 3), beet pulp (sugar removed), herring oil (natural source of DHA and EPA), chicken broth, yeast extract (MOS), chicory root (FOS), steamed sweet potato, yeast culture (Saccharomyces Cerevisiae fermentation solubles), yucca shidigera, marigold extract (source of lutein), Atlantic kelp, steamed carrots, steamed tomatoes (natural source of lycopene), steamed apples, whole garlic, parsley, rosemary extract, cranberries, sea salt, potassium chloride, choline chloride, lysine, dl glucosame HCl, chondroitin sulfate, vitamin A, dl alpha-tocopherol acetate (vitamin E), methionine, L-carnitine, vitamin D3, *iron Bioplex, *zinc Bioplex, *manganese Bioplex, biotin, *copper Bioplex, niacin, riboflavin, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), vitamin B12, calcium iodate, folic acid. *chelated mineral

Guaranteed Analysis

Protein (min.) --- 29.0%   
Fat (min.) --- 17.0%     
Fiber (max.) --- 2.5 %   
Moisture (max.) --- 10.0% 
Calcium (min.) --- 1.4 %   
Phosphorus (min.) --- 1.1%
Omega-6 (min.) --- 3.0 % *   
Omega-3 (min.) --- 1.0 % *
Glucosamine (min.) --- 200 mg/kg
Chondroitin (min.) --- 50 mg/kg 
Vitamin E (min.) --- 250 IU/kg
Lutein (min.) --- 50 mg/kg *
Carbohydrate --- 28.0 %
ME --- 4,400 kcal/kg

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Just and update regarding grain free and Bubba.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 05:25:50 am »
Great news Lyn! How much weight did he put on?
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Lyn

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 05:28:27 am »
Ooops I thought I mentioned that. 10 pounds in one month! He's looking really good. No more dip behind his ribcage.   

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 05:32:47 am »
Ooops I thought I mentioned that. 10 pounds in one month! He's looking really good. No more dip behind his ribcage.   
WOW! 10 lbs  :o :o :o
I really need a miracle like that with Lily! 
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Bubbalove

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 08:13:22 am »
What great news!  Glad to hear that Bubba is doing much better!  And what a relief to have less shedding!!!   ;D
Kana - 4 y/o Japanese Akita
Kita - 8/2005 crossed Rainbow Bridge
       10 y/o American Akita

Offline BigSoftandFluffyLover

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 09:41:43 am »
Lets see some pics!!!!

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 03:25:39 pm »
Congratulation s Bubba.  You have a really good mama that just kept looking until she figured out how to solve the problem.  I have always believed that there is no "one size fits all" when it comes to feeding, dogs, cats or people.  Everyone and every dog is different.  I am so happy that you finally found what works for Bubba and post pics of the big guy.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Lyn

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 05:02:47 am »
I couldn't believe it was 10 pounds either. He was 120.. he's now 130. Awesome progress. Another 10 pounds and he'll look perfect. ;D

Things have been hectic here so I'm slacking in the pic department. But I promise I will take new pics soon. I have tons of old ones for comparison.

Lyn

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 05:38:53 am »
At first I didn't want to try the Acana. I talked about it and though about it tons. It just seemed like such a downgrade from Orijen. It doesn't help that I'm so super picky about food.. the rice bran and beet pulp were a major blah for me but I'm really glad we tried it now.

Offline ptkennel

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Prairie Trail Kennel
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2008, 01:05:48 pm »
We had our dogs on ACANA but have now switched to Wellness, super5 chicken.
Product Ingredients | Ingredient Index | Vitamins/Minerals

Ingredients
Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Oatmeal, Ground Barley, Ground Brown Rice, Tomato Pomace, Rye Flour, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a natural source of vitamin E), Tomatoes (natural source of Lycopene), Rice Bran (from brown rice), Whitefish, Natural Chicken Flavor, Carrots, Spinach, Sweet Potatoes, Apples, Blueberries, Flaxseed, Ground Millet, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride

Minerals
Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate (a chelated source of zinc), Iron Proteinate (a chelated source of iron), Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Proteinate (a chelated source of copper), Copper Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate (a chelated source of manganese), Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite

Vitamins
Beta Carotene, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Mixed Tocopherols (a natural preservative), Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chondroitin Sulfate, Chicory Root Extract, Garlic, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Green Tea Extract, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus.

Wellness® uses ethoxyquin-free protein sources.
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein    Not Less Than    22.0%
Crude Fat    Not Less Than    12.0%
Crude Fiber    Not More Than    3.0%
Moisture    Not More Than    11.0%
Vitamin E    Not Less Than    150 IU/kg
Omega 6 Fatty Acids*    Not Less Than    2.70%
Omega 3 Fatty Acids*    Not Less Than    0.80%
Beta-Carotene*    Not Less Than    5 mg/kg
Lycopene*    Not Less Than    0.25 mg/kg
Taurine*    Not Less Than    0.09%

We like it because of the low protein for the wolfhounds.  It was fairly close to ACANA but no egg, which my newf was allergic to.
Joy, Newfoundland
Gabi, Newfoundland
Amy, Irish Wolfhound
Sara, Irish Wolfhound
Gintaro, Irish Wolfhound (from Poland)
Desa, our Borzoi
4 Irish Wolfhound puppies, Saturn, Gemini, Delta and Mercury
www.prairietra ilkennel.com