Author Topic: Therapy dog?  (Read 2723 times)

Offline SadieA

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Therapy dog?
« on: February 15, 2008, 08:25:12 am »
Sam is still a bit of a crazy puppy, but we're taking lots of obedience classes, and I'm hoping once he's older and well behaved, he can be one of those dogs that visits patients at the hospital, or folks at nursing homes. Does anyone have a dog that they do that kind of thing with, and if so, how did you train your dog to be good and calm with people, and did you have to get any special certifications?

I think Sam would really love doing this, because he loves people, and just LOVES getting petted. He'll sit quietly next to anyone who will pet him, and just rest his head on their lap.

Offline Bubbalove

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Therapy dog?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 09:02:53 am »
I work with several therapy dogs (one pug and one bullmastiff).  I, too hope to get Kana there someday...wish ful thinking. 
Look into the Delta Society. They are very reputable and have certified all of the dogs I know.  In the past we had a black lab, greater swiss mountain dog and 2 miniature schnauzers. 
It's a really wonderful tool for therapy & rehabilitation!  I am a true believer!!!!!
Kana - 4 y/o Japanese Akita
Kita - 8/2005 crossed Rainbow Bridge
       10 y/o American Akita

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 09:16:22 am »
http://www.tdi-dog.org/

You might want to check them out.Our Max was on his way to be a certified as a Therapy dog but we never proceded in using it,Went back to work so no time,You have to make a certian amount of visits/hours.
Max-3 Year old Golden/Lab cross
Buddy-8 Year old English Cocker Spaniel
Bear-4 month old Great Pyrenees
Tigger-barn kitty
Shiloh-9 year old Painthorse

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 11:04:02 am »
Near me they teach a specific class for becoming a certified therapy dog. It includes passing the Canine Good Citizen (CGC) test and then the Therapy Dog International (TDI) certification. They are almost the same test, the TDI has a few more items on it. I am hoping to get Jenny certified, as I think she is a born therapy dog, just like your Sam sounds!  ;)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 11:05:16 am by pyr4me »
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 11:21:23 am »
Lily is certified with TDI. We haven't done too many visits yet... just a few. Lily is only 1.5 and loves everyone. She is very calm around people except for the first 30 seconds. I have to take her for a very long walk before each visit to calm her down. She doesn't like nursing homes or hopitals as much as she loves "reading with children" program. Probably because she gets a chance to sleep right next to children for an hour at every visit, LOL!
I have started her training very early and was very consistent. Obedience classes, trips to the park, stores and friend's houses helped her to adapt to new places without being over stressed. Also dropping heavy objects and obedience training with distructions are huge part of the calm behavior of therapy dogs.  
Therapy work is a very rewarding opportunity you can do with your pup! Good luck!
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Skippy

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Lollie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 11:31:40 am »
Hi,

Doing therapy work and making visits is appreciated so much. Thank you in behave of MIL who is in a nursing home and enjoys the visits.

Julie is it possible that Petsmart has some type of high pitched burglary system you can't hear, but Jackie can.

Skippy
Central New York

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 02:12:13 am »
When doing noise training,  I use a CD I made with sounds in .wav format gathered from the Internet.  That gets played at least in part every day while I act like I cannot hear it.  It ranges from human sounds like screams, sneezes and arguing to household sounds like the ding of a microwave timer to military sounds like bombs and jets since we live in a Marine Corps base town.

It will not substitute for the sound of metal hitting the floor, but is a start.  IMO metal bowls do best against a concrete because they vibrate so nicely.

Lucky y'all to have dogs appropriate for Therapy.  My only appropriate dog, Cody Newfoundland, would need a forklift to get him there and even then he couldn't be around small children or unstable adults in case he fell over and squashed them.
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008, 05:51:48 am »
I had a boxer that was a delta certified therapy dog.  I loved doing it.  I worked at a nursing home for the Activities Department so every Friday she would go in with me and basically be everyone else's dog.  We would go to people's rooms and she would get on their bed and sleep for hours with them. 

The nursing home even looked into getting a dog that could live thier fulltime.  They ended up getting a rescue lab and we trained with her for a long time and now she lives there full time.  A little fat from all the treats she gets but still very happy.
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0
Bell 3 1/2 yr old Weimeraner
Baxter 3 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Buble 10 month old English Springer Spaniel