Author Topic: Climate and Bernese Mountain Dog  (Read 11371 times)

Offline SadieA

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Climate and Bernese Mountain Dog
« on: February 17, 2008, 04:49:12 pm »
So, I'll be starting grad school in the fall, and am trying to pick which school I should accept at. My options are Duke, Columbia, and a school in Boston. So, the question is, what is the best choice for Sammy. ( I mean, obviously that's not the only question, but it is the question of the moment!) So we've got Boston, NYC, and North Carolina. I know Sammy will love Boston, and I lived there for several years so I know it and love it. New York, well, it's a big city of course. But still climate-wise, I know Sammy could handle it. Does anyone here have a dog in NYC? Lastly, Raleigh/Durham. I have a suspicion it is a bit hotter than Sammy would really like. However, if I am careful with him, do you all think that NC is doable with a big, furry dog?

Thanks so much for any feedback! I want to try to make sure any decision I make will work for  him too, since he's coming with me!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 05:03:46 pm by SadieA »

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Climate and Bernese Mountain Dog
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 05:10:00 pm »
i live in ma, and my dane and mastiff are sensitive to the heat...and they are short haired!!!

Offline NarniaMals

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 07:45:42 pm »
I grew up on Long Island 30 miles east of NYC.  The school is fantastic but the living might be tough on a larger breed dog.  Not sure what your living situation might be but the city can tough on pups who need space to run.  Spent time in Mass. and would hope housing is not as bad as in NYC.  NC is beautiful and I have cousins in Carey who love it.  They have had dobermans and Goldens who love the weather - especially the ac in the summer.  Tough decision to make - glad I am done with all my education at this point.  Good luck heading off too school!
Marianne and the MALS
Jadis (Queen of Narnia - The White Witch) and
Vander  (One of her loyal guardians)
also Maulgrim (our Huskey - Head guardian and our little alpha dog!)

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 10:30:34 am »

I view locations for dogs based on disease and insect prevalence, dog laws and friendliness, quality of vet care, air quality, and local breed support.

Based on these criteria - the choice for me would be easy:  Boston hands down!  New York City - especially Harlem is an awful and congested place for a Berner and those I know who lived there with Berners when I was there didn't stay long for the reasons above.  I think if dogs could talk, the south would be the last place they would choose for the same reasons: disease, insects, weather, laws, and dog friendliness.

Boston on the other hand is home of the Nashoba Valley Bernese Mountain Dog Club and is comprised of the most knowledge Berner experts you will find anywhere.  They are an amazing community who help any Berner in need anywhere, anytime, whether finding a lost dog or paying for medical care that the owner can't.  They are highly knowledge of the extreme health issues in the breed and know how to manage this in their own environment and weather exceptionally well.  The air quality isn't good in the city, but great outside and the best option available.

Just my 2 cents if the Berner really factors in a decision.

SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 11:32:15 am »
My vote is also for Boston.  I have relatives nearby who love the area.  He went there for medical school and never left.

We have a Newfie in the desert in southeastern California and have a heat pump to cool his room as well as a backup generator for his spare AC.  While I do not know much about your breed, but I know that our Newfie shows the first signs of heat stroke at 84 degrees and 40% humidity.  Will you be at school during the summers?  Do you have a backup plan for the power going out for several days?

Between the heartworms, fleas, ticks and poisonous snakes, I'd totally avoid anyplace south of the freeze line.  Dog laws go on a state-by-state basis, but those that offer the least protection for dogs and their owners seem to be toward the south. 

Side note, I went to the University of California, Santa Cruz, partially because of the moderate climate, redwood trees, and the ocean.   Go Slugs, rah!
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 02:56:35 pm »
Come to NC that is where I am.. and not that far from Duke ;D
Max-3 Year old Golden/Lab cross
Buddy-8 Year old English Cocker Spaniel
Bear-4 month old Great Pyrenees
Tigger-barn kitty
Shiloh-9 year old Painthorse

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 04:14:07 pm »
If I were you, I would pick Boston or NC.  We live in FL and our dogs are housedogs, 24/7.  I take them for walks either really late at night or before the sun comes up in the morning.  We have a back up whole house generator to provide AC in case of power outage.  Amazingly though, my boys are good outside, without too much activity, even in July and August.  Max is the only one who has had a major problem in the heat.  I had Cody and Jake at a pet fair in September.  They were laying on a blanket, under the tent, just relaxing and doing okay.  Hubby brought Max by and after only an hour, he was shaking, he was so hot.  He had to go home.  I sent Jake home around 1PM, but Cody was fine there all day and he's the black one.  I would worry more about yards, parks, activities, etc. for your dog, than the actual temps.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

DenverFurKiddos

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 09:07:04 am »
Wow!  What a wonderful decision that you have!  Congrats!  What will you be studying???  Based on my pups love for the outdoors and hiking, I think that you might have a better bet with NC!  Regardless, good luck!

Offline SadieA

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 03:33:36 pm »
Thank you all so much for the great advice! I'm currently leaning pretty heavily toward Boston- just got a great scholarship offer, and I LOVE Boston, and I really think Sam would do well there. Another concern I have about NC is that based on my admittedly limited knowledge of the area, I understand that the area around Duke isn't the safest, and I think I'd be nervous walking Sam in the dark at night. And though Boston is certainly more city-ish than NC, I'll most likely have a car there, and it's easy enough to get out to the north shore or cape or NH or wherever else for hiking.

I'm returning to school to get my doctorate in physical therapy! Very excited!

Offline NarniaMals

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 01:26:33 pm »
Good For YOU! and Congratulation s on the Scholarship offer!  Good luck wherever you choose in the end! (My vote is for the Boston area - I have family in NH who really love it ( the Green Mountains) and I lived in Maine for a time).

Have a blast!
Marianne and the MALS
Jadis (Queen of Narnia - The White Witch) and
Vander  (One of her loyal guardians)
also Maulgrim (our Huskey - Head guardian and our little alpha dog!)