Author Topic: Question about puppy insurance  (Read 14218 times)

Offline ratdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Question about puppy insurance
« on: February 18, 2008, 06:52:05 pm »
There seems to be 2 types of insurance out there. One that pays for preventive health and not hereditary stuff and another that pays for hereditary stuff but not preventive stuff. I'm leaning towards the second type. That would cover the most expensive treatment.

I was just wondering if anyone out there has puppy insurance and what their experience has been with it or if you know of anyone with it and their thoughts about it.

Terri
Best friends forever:
Tal, my cat, 1990-2007
Ratdog, my dog, 1992-2004

My new love:
Cody

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Question about puppy insurance
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 03:11:27 am »
We use VPI pet insurence and it is the best thing we could have done.  You pay upfront, and then you fax the reciept ad the dr. appt why he was there thing, and they send you your money;  BUT...they claim they don't cover certain things, although they do. Jazmine got papaloma virus from another dog,  and they said they would cover nothing. But i send in the form anyway, and i got ALL $600 back from them.  So don't be afraid to send it anyway.  I would highly recommend them, they are great. They actually now cover 100% of spay/neuter, yearly exam, dental or hearworm, and more.  I would highly recommend them!

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 03:21:00 am »
We use VPI pet insurence and it is the best thing we could have done.  You pay upfront, and then you fax the reciept ad the dr. appt why he was there thing, and they send you your money;  BUT...they claim they don't cover certain things, although they do. Jazmine got papaloma virus from another dog,  and they said they would cover nothing. But i send in the form anyway, and i got ALL $600 back from them.  So don't be afraid to send it anyway.  I would highly recommend them, they are great. They actually now cover 100% of spay/neuter, yearly exam, dental or hearworm, and more.  I would highly recommend them!
How much do you pay monthly?
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 03:33:32 am »
How much do you pay monthly?

I'm curious too...
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline ratdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 03:41:24 am »

The preventative stuff is great and would save about $300 to $350 a year (actually the cost of the plan) but I'm thinking of what if she got a hereditary condition. Wouldn't that really break the bank? Just curious. I looked at the VIP website and did not see where they covered that type of problem.
Best friends forever:
Tal, my cat, 1990-2007

My new love:
Cody

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 03:51:23 am »
i have the information what are you looking for?

Offline ratdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 03:54:27 am »
I just don't know if it would be better to go the preventative route or the hereditary route. It is appealing to have have the yearly stuff taken care of and at the same time to think that what if a hope replacement was needed. That would be a lot of money.

How much is your policy?
Best friends forever:
Tal, my cat, 1990-2007

My new love:
Cody

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 04:02:17 am »
I got a policy when I adopt Issy, it's $15 a month.  It was suppose to have expired after a certain amount of time but they have continued taking it out of my account!!  At first I kept trying to call and could never get through (pet food stuff was keeping the lines jammed).  I decided to at least keep it for a year or so since she is still a pup.  It doesn't cover annual things.  I almost got some for Daphne but since I didn't know her history I didn't think I would be able to get any, and now with the looming possibility of a heart issue I'm probably totally out of luck!!!!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline ratdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 04:06:59 am »
... I almost got some for Daphne but since I didn't know her history I didn't think I would be able to get any, and now with the looming possibility of a heart issue I'm probably totally out of luck!!!!

Unless the vet has seen her about it you should be ok ... as long as you have the policy before the vet diagnoses her.
Best friends forever:
Tal, my cat, 1990-2007

My new love:
Cody

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 04:08:50 am »
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 04:10:20 am by pyr4me »
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 04:10:10 am »
the rates went up, and they have added new things, so the cost used to be 20 a month for my dane, but now it has sky rocketed to 33. Granted 33 is better than a bill for 650....

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 04:10:45 am »
I'll have to check into that.  They THINK it's her heart but they haven't run the definitive tests as of yet (I can't afford it at the moment!!)  
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline ratdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 04:19:48 am »
I'm looking at PetPlan. They do cover problems that are on-going without a lifetime "ceiling"  on what they pay out. It is expensive, though. $40 to $50 a month. They cover up to $20,000 a year then it starts over for the next year. The Gold Plan is $490 a year and covers theft and loss of pet. That is with a $100 deduct and 20% copay. (You can choose several variations of the deduct and copay) The deduct is not for each time you take them to the vet but say if they broke a leg it would be for the initial visit only.
Best friends forever:
Tal, my cat, 1990-2007

My new love:
Cody

Offline ratdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 04:21:16 am »
I'm looking at PetPlan. They do cover problems that are on-going without a lifetime "ceiling"  on what they pay out. It is expensive, though. $40 to $50 a month. They cover up to $20,000 a year then it starts over for the next year. The Gold Plan is $490 a year and covers theft and loss of pet. That is with a $100 deduct and 20% copay. (You can choose several variations of the deduct and copay) The deduct is not for each time you take them to the vet but say if they broke a leg it would be for the initial visit only.

But they do not cover routine (yearly) stuff.
Best friends forever:
Tal, my cat, 1990-2007

My new love:
Cody

Offline ratdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2008, 06:26:15 am »
We use VPI pet insurence and it is the best thing we could have done.  You pay upfront, and then you fax the reciept ad the dr. appt why he was there thing, and they send you your money;  BUT...they claim they don't cover certain things, although they do. Jazmine got papaloma virus from another dog,  and they said they would cover nothing. But i send in the form anyway, and i got ALL $600 back from them.  So don't be afraid to send it anyway.  I would highly recommend them, they are great. They actually now cover 100% of spay/neuter, yearly exam, dental or hearworm, and more. I would highly recommend them!

The person I talked to said that they only pay up to $75/year on heartguard/flea&tick. My vet recommended them so I'll try them for the time being. I can always switch if I want to.
Best friends forever:
Tal, my cat, 1990-2007

My new love:
Cody